PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Not a great pic but I’m guessing it’s shmutz from your mouth, good to have some of those cheap “abrasive” fast food restaurant napkins around to wipe those parts down with, but seems literally impossible that it’s oxidation after an hour.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Its very possible that its oxidation. I have a pipe that no matter how much I work on it I get that every smoke. I've given up and just wipe it down with obsidian oil and call it good.

Reactions: FLDRD and edger
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Yep Oxidation for sure, I've had pipes that oxidized as soon as I put em my mouth. I had a Pete once that turned neon green the very second I put in my mouth. I had to have @georged put an acrylic bit on it. Some are worse than others but every once in a while you'll get a stem thats just impossible to keep black. Charatans had a reputation for rapidly oxidizing stems. There is no way to know how long a pipe has been on the self at a retailer, could have been in a display for years in sunlight. That stem looks a little flat to me, looks like it needs a shine.

Sometimes people who restore pipes merely cover up oxidation with oils. And, after your lips and saliva removes the oils, you see the oxidation. This is why I am not a fan of those stem oils. Not that they don't work to make the stem look shiny, but that so many folks use them to cover oxidation or to make an unpolished pipe look polished. It is also a way to cheaply and quickly make a pipe look appealing to a buyer.

Also, body chemistry. Your saliva may be very low PH making your stem oxidize. So many variables.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
To me, that looks like the place where a price sticker once was. Looks like the seller didn’t bother to take time to remove the residue. (Oxidation doesn’t typically occur in a nice rectangular pattern…)

Reactions: warren

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
If you look further down the stem towards the shank you can just make out that the stem has started to oxidize. It may have been sitting in a place with lots of light and thus started to tarnish. Vulcanite quality also varies. Some lower quality Vulcanite turns very quickly.

Mike

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Yep. Last summer I left a new Peterson short in my wife's vehicle while out of town running in and out of a few places, including lunch, on a nice summer's day. Between that day and the next, I soon was reminded my stem wasn't acrylic, lol.

Reactions: Zero

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
If you’re going to buy a pipe with a vulcanite stem, it’s going to discolor. Therefore there is a certain amount of effort involved to keep it black…

After a period of time if I notice a stem that bothers me, it takes about 10 minutes to correct that.

Not a big deal, and it won’t keep me from buying a pipe with a vulcanite stem.