PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
confession time, after reading the post about using toothpaste to clean with, it stuck in my head...and while cleaning some silver with mother's polish I couldn't resist it. I had three pipes I don't use that needed cleaning. Two were turning a bit gray, one was gray with some brown patches. Simply put, the mother's polish did a quick job of returning the stems to "black". Then I hit them on a cotton buffing wheel, then applied the Obsidian oil to each.
I won't say they look perfect because I didn't put a whole lot of effort into it, but I should have taken pictures of before and after. (maybe next time)

rjscha

Lurker
Feb 16, 2013
What happens to the inside of the stem during the Oxiclean bath? I assume it gets pretty nasty in there. Does it affect taste?

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I won't say they look perfect because I didn't put a whole lot of effort into it, but I should have taken pictures of before and after. (maybe next time)

I think I mentioned that the it won't make a crusty stem look new but even by itself of makes a big difference. And it could replace using Obsidian altogether.
What happens to the inside of the stem during the Oxiclean bath? I assume it gets pretty nasty in there. Does it affect taste?

It loosens and removes a lot of stuff. But after the bath you have to wash it (I use running water and dish liquid) and it will still need at least a few pipe cleaners ran through it, at least one with alcohol on it.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
My point of not being perfect was mother's polish returned the shine, but I took no effort remove the teeth marks with any sanding. The obsidian made the stems shine ever a bit better.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
So i hate to thread jack, but my recent Dunhill acquisition just came in and the pipe is in good condition however the stem has a small ammount of oxi.
My question is however, the stem is a Cumberland, will this change anything when it comes to cleaning off the oxy?

Status
Not open for further replies.