PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mac713

Lurker
Mar 21, 2022
Kingman, Arizona, USA
You are going to get everyone's favorite way to get rid of the tarnish and I won't add to it. Basically, you have to remove it physically using whatever methods you prefer.

I'm posting because of a dirty little secret that no-one ever seems to talk about. Vulcanite tarnishes when exposed to light. The lower the quality, the quicker it tarnishes. High grade vulcanite like those on older Kaywoodies and Barlings and on big bucks Danish and American masters, etc., stay black and shiny, if you keep them in drawers, in the dark. Vulcanite is a bit like silver. Unless you keep them away from light, even on the most expensive pipes, they will tarnish. It's a decrepit material, whose intrinsic flaws are accepted only by old men with a tolerance for decrepitness.
I can attest to your dirty little secret. I am now working on my 40+ year old pipes, (that I haven't smoked in 30 years) that sit in the corner of my study. They get a full dose of morning sun everyday and they are very badly oxidized and taste horrible. For the bits, I am using Oxy-Clean soak, Baking Soda/Hydrogen Peroxide paste, and 70% Iso Alcohol swab. Progress is very slow, but I'm getting there and looking forward to enjoying some new tobaccos I just acquired. These pipes may never see the sun again...

. IMG_0200.jpeg

Reactions: jpmcwjr and mingc

Mac713

Lurker
Mar 21, 2022
Kingman, Arizona, USA
There is a plethora of threads on here on the cleaning of oxidized pipe stems.
After you get it back to original condition... keep it out of direct sunlight, and do not clean or soak it in water. Get a tube of Chapstick brand Ultra spf rated at 30. Rub some on, rub it in, and wipe it off after each smoke. This will give it a UV protected coating that should help a lot.
What a great idea!