Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I bought this Weber bulldog used. The stem was black when purchased and is now turning olive green after about 10 bowls.

It's a great smoker and just needs some TLC to clean what I believe is oxidation from the stem.

Thoughts on returning the stem back to its original glory (and preventative measures to keep it that way)? Any assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220306_163411.jpg
    20220306_163411.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 32
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I suspect most people would recommend a series of fine grit buffing pads; some people use toothpaste or a soft flame lighter followed by a polish; Magic Erasers can be used. I'm sure there are threads here that cover a variety of methods.

I sometimes find the buffing pads remove a little too much material and gets my hands tired. Lately, I've been using Before and After Deoxidizer by La Belle Epoque. I do a light buffing with a high grit pad after treatment (while super shiny piano finishes look nice and sexy, they often differ from a factory finish, so I don't go too nuts with the sheen).

I use Obsidian Oil to finish. It gives a sheen and offers some UV protection. Food grade mineral oil works well, too.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
personally I only deal with it when it starts tasting bad. Otherwise I think it adds to the charm. Full disclosure I like that "charred" rim look too. But elbow grease and any type of gritty grit stuff will fix it and then oil because as you've noticed once it starts doing that oxidization it doesn't stop unless you prevent it from contacting air (hence the term oxidization).

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I suspect most people would recommend a series of fine grit buffing pads; some people use toothpaste or a soft flame lighter followed by a polish; Magic Erasers can be used. I'm sure there are threads here that cover a variety of methods.

I sometimes find the buffing pads remove a little too much material and gets my hands tired. Lately, I've been using Before and After Deoxidizer by La Belle Epoque. I do a light buffing with a high grit pad after treatment (while super shiny piano finishes look nice and sexy, they often differ from a factory finish, so I don't go too nuts with the sheen).

I use Obsidian Oil to finish. It gives a sheen and offers some UV protection. Food grade mineral oil works well, too.
^^^^^
That's what I do.
personally I only deal with it when it starts tasting bad. Otherwise I think it adds to the charm. Full disclosure I like that "charred" rim look too.
I'm definitely NOT in that camp.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How long is/was that tape on?

If a regular fixture, I would not spend a moment restoring the original shine.

I'd simply rub in a tiny bit of mineral oil. Then post a photo, please.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
Personally, I don't bother with oxidation unless it starts tasting funny. My Grandfather's pipes have oxidized to varying degrees over the years, and I think they look fine. The one I had to do something about, I just used baking-soda toothpaste, some elbow grease, and then an oiling.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant
I was just going to say: A rubber bit is really cheap and easily removable for cleaning in order to help you keep your pipes looking nice. As a side bonus, you can clench as hard as you like (within normal parameters) and not hurt your teeth or pipe too!

Lose the tape and try what @jpmcwjr suggests first. You will be surprised. Nut oils work too.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
There is a plethora of threads on here on the cleaning of oxidized pipe stems.
After you get it back to original condition... keep it out of direct sunlight, and do not clean or soak it in water. Get a tube of Chapstick brand Ultra spf rated at 30. Rub some on, rub it in, and wipe it off after each smoke. This will give it a UV protected coating that should help a lot.

Reactions: Mac713
I've read some of the threads about shortcuts to removing or disguising oxidation, and unless you uniformly and physically remove the oxidation, it will keep coming back. And, I suspect that many ebayers use the hiding it method with oils and stuff, because the stuff will come back fast. A relatively nice pipe when received sometimes turns to shit fast.

The only way I recommend removing it is patiently using micromesh pads from most abrasive down to a fine reflective polish under running water. And, once it is done, just keep your stem polished with a jeweler's polishing cloth, and that's all I have ever needed to do. I also just keep my pipes out of direct sun when not smoking it.

and https://www.amazon.com/Fabulustre-J...welers+polishing+cloth&qid=1646668741&sr=8-14

All of these chemicals and oils and shit to mask and hide the oxidation will only serve to make you hate vulcanite.

This has been my experience, and I just don't believe any of the other bullshit out there. I know it is not etiquette to say someone's experience is bullshit, but... I just don't feel that letting a lot of the BS about shortcuts is going to be beneficial to pipesmokers in the longrun. But as always, do what you want.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OK, ok, all the info on how to achieve a fine shiny stem is useful, but not in this case. At least until after the initial application of mineral oil.
Cleaning with water, with or without micro mesh pads, with or without detergent does not cause oxidation, but will expose what's there. Covering it with mineral oil makes the pipe look fine, though certainly not an extremely high gloss which a few people aspire to.

The exception may be the green-grey and somewhat uniform oxidation- may have to be scrubbed off.

That's why a first step is indicated before much labor. See whatcha got!

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
You are going to get everyone's favorite way to get rid of the tarnish and I won't add to it. Basically, you have to remove it physically using whatever methods you prefer.

I'm posting because of a dirty little secret that no-one ever seems to talk about. Vulcanite tarnishes when exposed to light. The lower the quality, the quicker it tarnishes. High grade vulcanite like those on older Kaywoodies and Barlings and on big bucks Danish and American masters, etc., stay black and shiny, if you keep them in drawers, in the dark. Vulcanite is a bit like silver. Unless you keep them away from light, even on the most expensive pipes, they will tarnish. It's a decrepit material, whose intrinsic flaws are accepted only by old men with a tolerance for decrepitness.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In the last 6-7 years, the vulcanite stems on my pipes have not tarnished noticeably though most are stored in racks in light. Indirect light, sure. No strong lamps. YMMV.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
The tape is my take on a rubber bit (which are not comfortable to me and suggested by another member to prevent bite marks).

Obsidian oil is on the way.
How long is/was that tape on?

If a regular fixture, I would not spend a moment restoring the original shine.

I'd simply rub in a tiny bit of mineral oil. Then post a photo, please.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
You are going to get everyone's favorite way to get rid of the tarnish and I won't add to it. Basically, you have to remove it physically using whatever methods you prefer.

I'm posting because of a dirty little secret that no-one ever seems to talk about. Vulcanite tarnishes when exposed to light. The lower the quality, the quicker it tarnishes. High grade vulcanite like those on older Kaywoodies and Barlings and on big bucks Danish and American masters, etc., stay black and shiny, if you keep them in drawers, in the dark. Vulcanite is a bit like silver. Unless you keep them away from light, even on the most expensive pipes, they will tarnish. It's a decrepit material, whose intrinsic flaws are accepted only by old men with a tolerance for decrepitness.
Not gonna lie, I really don't like vulcanite stems. It has been one of the main factors in keeping me from smoking my Peterson as much as my quality pipes.

Reactions: captpat and jpmcwjr

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
All else being equal I prefer acrylic. I like my pipes and stems to look good. Pipe smoking is fiddly enough without the added care and feeding a rubber stem seems to require.

mike wheelock

Lurker
Mar 13, 2022
eastern washington
New to this forum and pipe smoking. Been about 2 months since i smoked my first pipe and i must say that the experience has been most pleasant. I have purchased several pipes from local stores and online. Recently saw used estate pipes for sale on eBay—oh my what an eye opener. And many very cool pipes that i would like to have. I have been looking into the refurbishing process and seems like an enjoyable part of the whole experience. Look forward to all the great information from all of you experienced smokers. Glad to be here!

Last edited by a moderator: