PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I like owls but had a scare once when one perched on my backyard fence... the owl was looking at my chihuahua/Yorkie pup that was distracted by a chew toy. I ran out there and saw the owl fly away, but no sound from the wings flapping away. Thought it was barely getting speed but the owl glided slowly from backyard to backyard till I couldn't see it in the dark.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Had one take out 2 of my kids pets when I lived in the California mountains. I bought a 7 week old chow puppy most beautiful animal I've ever seen. This guy was so smart. First night he goes to the door and barks. He's 7 weeks old. I take him out and think to myself hey he's so smart I can start to leash train him. I walked back inside to get his leash came out 60 seconds later he was gone. I looked for him all night. Next day the culprit owl flew by with about a 5 feet wingspan. Yeah they're silent. Told my neighbor that owls dead. He said they'll let you out of prison when your kids graduate high school. I hate owls

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
cally454...
If you're going to get the kinda pet a supermodel would have in her handbag, well.
Maybe the mountain lions are burping some puppy chow now. So the Earth thanks you for that WildHappyMeal.
And owls are the least of your worries.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How bout some photos of Snowy Owls! Seems like a good time. fmgee- those are great shots. And I've been watching Earth I and II!

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
cally454...

As I said, owls are the least of your worries... Mt.Lions burp puppy chows.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
7934227986_a1da272331.jpg
[/url][/img]
7934226254_535f4cce14.jpg
[/url][/img]

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Here's another selfie of me, online. My connection is protected, by www.barbedwired.com.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
fmgee finished with an image of a Short-eared Owl.
They are crepuscular... out and about at twilight. Now I know science is reputed to be factual, but. As Stephen Colbert sez, “It is a well known fact that reality has a liberal bias.”

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Short-eared Owls (Asio flammeus... that's Latin, in science, parochial schools, and amongst those who paid attention in school in general) are also communal. Like in the 60s. They roost together.
Here's an image of mine, unlikely to be observed by my fellow pipers. Count'em. Don't miss one. On the right, eight Short-eareds coming out of their roost on a late winter afternoon. The guy on the left, makes nine. Voles have nightmares about this stuff. But at about a thousand per acre (studies show), the odds are with the mice too... it's a balance of nature.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Like us, getting up in the morning -- or afternoon, depending on your work schedule -- a bit of stretching helps to wake up.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
Hey brother I don't think you know what a chow is... he doesn't mean a Chihuahua He means a chow which is a very different much larger dog...https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chow_Chow

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Hey brother I don't think you know what a chow is...
And he's in California, and I said Mountain Lion. So puppy chow still works.

===
In the eastern US, large German Shepherds pee themselves at the sight of male Eastern Coyotes. Who run, tail-tucked, at the sight of Timber Wolves.
So, woof.

[Ontario Coyote image, January 2011]

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Back to owls, and Snowy Owls. As requested.
A colleague of mine bands Snowy Owls. Nowadays he uses GPS transmitters too, to track their wider hemispheric movements. Science held, based on the science of dissecting owl pellets, that ducks were not a major part of the Snowy Owl diet. That ducks would disagree was yet to be learned by us. Using night vision technology back in the 90s, he observed Snowy Owls catching, killing, and feasting on geese and ducks with regularity. So, owl pellet dissection told a part of the story. What the Snowys were doing was eating the breast meat, a Snowy Thanksgiving, but not eating any of the rest of the bird! No bones ingested... to be detected in the owl pellet.
Snowy Owls, Gyrfalcons, and Polar Bears. Ice is both a problem and a way of life for them, evolutionarily speaking. So warming is an issue, with lots of science pointing to the northern progression of competing species. Also diseases, previously unknown to them... as like the diseases we brought to the New World, unknown to those natives.
Duck Commander.
Here's a quick sequence of images I captured, as a Snowy Owl goes in pursuit of the aforementioned ducks. This is a young female Snowy, hatched the previous summer and hardwired to the chase of ducks out on an open ice flow.
This pelagic lifestyle of (young) Snowys, Gyrs, and Polar Bears is key: threatened and diminishing.

---

I am fortunate to have students of mine these days handling and banding owls (and hawks) with their students... I get "invited" to visit, as that old guy.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Speaking of owl pellets, when I was in high school I went on hikes in southern Nevada to specifically harvest owl pellets. We would go in caves and other places to find them and take them back to the lab and dissect them. Always fascinating. If I recall we "reassembled" kangaroo mice.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
If I recall we "reassembled" kangaroo mice.
The hip bone's connected to the back bone

The back bone's connected to the neck bone,

The neck bone's connected to the head bone,

Now shake dem skeleton bones!
http://www.songsforteaching.com/folk/dembones.php

Status
Not open for further replies.