PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems to me posting is an exercise in communicating, not in coding for the few who happen to know acronyms you do. If you are among a group of special initiates who all know them, that's fine, it saves time. If even only a few in the group don't know them, you have the responsibility of spelling them out. Otherwise you are showing how much you know that others don't, which is fundamentally useless, even if you are Einstein. Your readership says,
"Talk to me," so do so. For communicating with the rare few, private messages work.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have posted this before, and the wave of new members prompts me to do it again. We can all help the new members by spelling out our references. Opinions?
Oh, yeah, critical! Even some oldie members stumble with some initials. At least I do.

It's good practice to write out the name in full before going to initials. (WOTNIFBGTI)

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I'm retired military. I thought acronyms were required for all communications on all subjects.
Your post made me chuckle. I was in the military for many years. I remember one time a fellow service member telling me how stupid it was for the military to call a car, a three letter word, a privately owned vehicle or POV.
Acronyms used inside of a professional setting are helpful to those steeped in that profession. But, they can be troublesome in certain settings.
I have learned some of the acronyms used for tobacco on the forum but there are several I don’t know and usually don’t bother looking up. Using the full name of the tobacco House or blender is very helpful. The acronyms used for the cut of the tobacco are somewhat encoded at times, But one can get the just of it usually.

• Love
Reactions: Zero
Status
Not open for further replies.