PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Overrated: FVF, Penzance, 1Q, St. James Flake (just kidding about that one, but still, people need to quit buying it) :D
Underrated: Key Largo by Pease, Peterson 3 P's.
Just my take at this moment.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I liked this topic. It is just a smoker's point of view as you relate what you like, or not like so much, as compared to what you think is the common perception.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
This is a fun thread to read, I'll play;
OR- Blackhouse, Nightcap, 1Q, Frog Morton
UR- HH Acadian Perique, GLP Triple Play, Two Friends English Chocolate, Burley London Blend, Petersen and Sorensen Tradition

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
I don't understand the point. 95% of what we talk about on here is subjective. There would be 5 threads a month if we applied your standard. The whole point of a forum is to disseminate views
I think it's fun to see people get upset about subjective opinions... Good Thread. Maybe next time we can talk about politics or religion..
Tastes great... Less Filling...

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
P.S. I'm too new to have tried anything the requisite number of times to have formulated an informed decision... however anyone who says Frog Morton Cellar is OR... you are wrong.. :crazy:

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Overrated: Esoterica Penzance. Don't get me wrong its good and smooth but it just didn't wow me like I thought it would. The hype was better than the blend.
Underrated: MacBaren Burley London Blend. I reached for this nearly everyday for over a month. It's a great burley flavor with a definite chocolate/ dry cocoa flavor. Smells great in the tin just rich tobacco and chocolate. Although its not the most complex blend there is something that I love there and search for every time I smoke it. I still can't put words to it.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Looks like the consensus over rated is FVF by a large margin but that's ok I have some aging right now and will visit it later.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Overrated anything that has H@H the title , sorry Russ . Underrated J. F. Germain & Son blends . And there you have it one man's opinion .

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
PitchFork I think BLB is more of a round, rich flavor hinting at cocoa where as Golden Extra is more of a bright flavor with a bit more honey sweetness. Many people claim the two are close enough they can't tell any difference but I think they are quite noticeably different with my preference leaning a strongly towards BLB.

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
OR- FVF, Frog Mortan cellar, squadron leader

UR- HH old dark fired, Nightcap, hard to operate these fine blends, and Peter stokebe bulk, great bang for your buck

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, tjameson. I love the smell of Golden Extra, but the taste is too bright/thin for my taste (in fact, I always get a waxy/burning candle aftertaste from it), but I'll have to give London Blend a try. I'm always on the lookout for a good burley blend.
BTW, if you like that sort of thing, the Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match and Wessex Burley Slice are both great burleys -- the Slice is sort of dark, cocoa and molasses, while the ERR Match is a bit sweeter and brighter -- both are good, though.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
For me, I have to agree with Igloo, who wrote that Overrated would be anything with "H&H" in the title, especially Black House. (I keep waiting for someone to point out that the emperor has no clothes...)
As for Underrated, I have to list some of my favorites:
Brebbia's Preludio Mixture No. 60

Dan Tobacco's London Blend #1000

Gordon Pym
and, finally, everything by Esoterica that is NOT Penzance and Stonehaven.
Bob

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Rmbittner, H&H uses high quality tobacco that can not be disputed, also you can check the prices it's very competitively priced comes in several tin sizes and bulk and you never have any trouble getting any blend. All of those things can be proven and are not conjecture, I think the brand has earned its spotlight. What can you say to change my mind?

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
It pains me to see Frog Morton's Cellar and SG Squadron Leader on the OR lists. These 2 routinely make my top 10 smokes. They are an all day, simple relaxing smoke for me. Oh well, to each his own and it just means more for me.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Overrated: FVF, Penzance, 1Q, St. James Flake (just kidding about that one, but still, people need to quit buying it)

Overrated: Esoterica Penzance. Don't get me wrong its good and smooth but it just didn't wow me like I thought it would. The hype was better than the blend.
c4GJOBp.gif

But really, to each his own. That's what makes pipe smoking so great, everyone has their own thoughts on the matter and everyone enjoys something different.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Presbyterian Blend is SOOOO underrated! People never talk about it on here. I LOVE it! Of course, I may be a bit biased seeing that I'm a Presbyterian Minister. However, I've been jonesing a tin of this stuff lately and seeing this post almost makes me want to hop in the car right now and drive the distance to my B&M to pick it up. I don't understand why it's never mentioned on here. It was the first blend I ever just loved from start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.