PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Oh hush Embers,,, Its a nice quick smoke. I have good tobacco for the weekend. during the week I just want a fast smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Oh hush Embers,,, Its a nice quick smoke. I have good tobacco for the weekend. during the week I just want a fast smoke.
I was talking about Esoterica, not yours.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Likewise with Carter Hall, I smoke Chatham Manor as it's very close to Carter Hall, just without the chemical aftertaste.
Hoping your right. I just bought a tub from P&C. Seems to get good reviews and most say they like it better then Carter Hall. The wait now begins.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Gonna have to check out Chatham Manor.. although Id hate it to be better, as I have about 10 buckets of CH in the closet.. Its so nice with Perique added in!!!!!

secateurs

Lurker
Feb 24, 2019
I used to do a lot of OTC smoking some years ago, but once I found the more expensive stuff I basically stopped. I only smoked a bowl every couple days so the extra cost averaged out to only a buck or two a week. Now I'm smoking a couple bowls a day and starting to like bulks more than the pricey tins. I did get a Carter Hall pouch recently and it was OK. I had the last of a few samples of stuff from the local Tinderbox, maybe a bowl's worth each of 4-5 blends. I mixed all that and the CH together and it was a tastier mix to me. Never did like many of the flavored OTC blends though. Too artificial tasting.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I really like many of the "old codger" OTCs for the most part; and, Prince Albert is my go-to all-day smoke. While I will usually have a morning and evening bowl of something like: Mixture 965, Presbyterian, Haunted Bookshop, Philosopher, Sherlock's Choice, or Revelation, everything in my bowl begins, ends, and revolves around Prince Albert.
By my pallet, here's how the OTCs and I got along:
1. Prince Albert - My main tabak; I am one with the Prince, and I buy him buy the tub.

2. Carter Hall - Not too dissimilar to PA, a tad bolder than PA, but is missing something in PA which CH does not exhibit.

3. Mixture 79 - Bolder still, and a very interesting "collision" of multiple tastes with a woody-earthy flavor.

4. Half & Half - Works, but not really a fan. Smoke tastes better than the strong pouch note (which reminded me of Mennen SpeedStick).
- Sherm Natman

Mar 29, 2016
Mac Baren - Amphora Original Blend is the best of the modern OTC tobaccos. No chemical taste and a very nice flavor.
In France you get a good selection of OTC like Mac Baren - Amsterdamer (Amsterdamer Blends), St.Claude and Caporal. In Italy you have, Italia, Comune, Golf and Forte. Some are very natural tasting with enough strength.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The term OTC doesn't mean much where I live as the newsagents and supermarkets round my way seem to stock less and less pipe tobacco but if they can still be classed as an OTC then Condor Long Cut gets my vote and I'm waiting on a delivery of Walnut/Original Flake which I have heard good things about.
Chris

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
For financial convenience I’ve been smoking a 50/50 mix of Prince Albert and Carter Hall for quite a long time now. It’s okay but doesn’t satisfy like the Latakia blends I love.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I owe the reason why I smoke a pipe today to Captain Black (White)... I personally don't like it myself but the aroma of it while someone else is smoking it is just divine, it's intoxicating. It's the entire reason why I've decided to try out smoking a pipe. I also like several OTC's, mostly the European kind but I can dig Velvet and Prince Albert from time to time, they are good 'dumb reaches'. I'll probably get some CB from time to time to smoke it around my daughter to give her fond memories of her Papa, although these days, that's probably considered child abuse. :wink:

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
mostly the European kind
What are some of the European OTCs? Can any be had in the US? Would any European pouch (e.g. John Bull) qualify?
I read in the G&H description of their Scotch Mixture (a new love) that it's "the most popular Latakia blend in Europe", which had me scratching my head, mostly because it's not cheap. If that's a European OTC, then I for sure want to try more of those.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think St Bruno is a European OTC: it used to be the 'working man's blend' if I'm not mistaken. Amphora is probably another. Yes, you can order both from SPC.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
After trying through quite a number of the OTC pouches, I settled on SWR as my one pouch blend I like to keep. RLP-6 is my aromatic, but I used to put some mcclelland turkish ribbon with it...I have some of the ribbon but it suddenly got more precious? Anyone got a bulk oriental they can recommend for blending?
Isaac

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
C&D makes a blending oriental here:
Izmir Turkish
I ordered some and smoked a bowl straight up and it's excellent, however I haven't tried blending anything with it yet. Get's good reviews but probably won't compare to McClelland.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Diamondback - That specific combination - PA + MM - is one of the consistent root joys in my life. I would say also, that it is likely one of the best starting points for someone looking to be introduced to pipe smoking. - Sherm Natman

Status
Not open for further replies.