PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I've received my first tin two days ago (it's not available in CAD) as part of an order of Fusilier's Ration just to see what all the fuss is about. Hands down, the Rød Orlik is about the most delicious Virginia blend I know. Instantly went to the top of the list. My personal Va blends ranking would thus now be:
1. Orlik Golden Sliced (red)

2. Rattray's Marlin Flake

3. Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake

4. Escudo

5. MacBaren Club Blend

6. Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake

7. MacBaren Navy Flake

8. Reiner's Long Golden Sliced

9. MacBaren Mixture (Scottish Blend)

10. McClelland Red Cake
By the way - I just saw that when you fly to Denmark, you can buy 250g Red Orlik in the duty free store for 30$.

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
Go for it hawk,,you might just like it! It took me a bowl or three to catch onto the virginia flake flavor but im hooked now..............

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Im def a VA flake lover already. I just have so many samples and opened stuff that i cant get through as it is. plus, i should have the box pass before too long.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
OGS is mostly a summer smoke for me, when those stifling hot days hit.

It is much better with age, I try to let it sit at least a year. I bought two 100 gram tins this summer for next years use.

I rub it out and smoke it in a smaller bowl pipe, typically my GBD Prehistoric Prince which is dedicated to that blend. It is quite mild, which I enjoy. I keep a little Escudo around, but it is a much heavier blend that I can only take in small doses.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
I just discovered this stuff and it is a really good smoke when dried out for 30min to 1 hour before packing a bowl .

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I have a couple of tins of ogs from a previous TAD order. Haven't cracked into it yet, but it sounds like I would benefit from stocking up on a few more.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Every time I reorder tobacco I have to put OGS on the list. I absolutely LOVE IT. The sweet and pepper flavor combined together are a marriage! When I first tried it, I didn't think that I would want it all the time. Thought it would be something I would smoke every now and again. I can't keep this stuff in the house. LOL!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I recently acquired a tin of this through a trade and love it. Agree though that the Perique content is very low. Doesn't hurt the blend, but won't satisfy a Perique lover looking for a strong flavor. A light, crisp smoke.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I cannot taste low levels of perique very readily so for the most part this is a straight VA for my purposes.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I am a big fan of Orlik/STG in general.
You cannot beat the price or availability in a tinned blend.
For a while it was hard to source. That seems to have lessened now...
Anyway, good health to shrewd judges!

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
One of my favorite blends.

I have some aros to trade if anyone has some OGS they want to part with.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I just recently tried this blend and love it. I can see purchasing a lot of it, soon!

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
Orlik Golden Sliced is a blonde Virginia Flake with a touch of Perique. Like all flakes, it comes far moister in the tin than is right for smoking. The reason is that if it were dry enough to smoke, the rubbing out would crumble or fragment it, rather than as is the case with pliably moist flakes rendering a rather nice ribbony texture.

I tend to take the entire tin, once I've cracked the seal, and rub it out. Then dry it to the right moisture level, or ever so slightly moister than that, and dump it in a glas jar for a day or two to let the flavours re-stabilize.
Virginias tend toward nicotine, so one medium-small bowl smoked slow ("sipped") is the perfect way to start the day.

It takes some smokers a while before they can appreciate Virginias. First off, smoke slow. Really slow. It is best if the pipe threatens to go out occasionally. Secondly, let it whisp at you, and enjoy both the grassy fruity fragrance, as well as the tingle of sweetness on the tongue. Thirdly, unlike English blends (Virginia plus Latakia and often Turkish, sometimes also Perique), it is okay if the entire surface doesn't light. Often, enough tobacco will be smoldering that the smoke can progress from that point on quite satisfactorily.

And fourthly, feel free to let it go out if it wants to. Again unlike English blends, it can be re-lit without significant degradation of taste.
Folks who like OGS will probably also like MacBaren's Virginia Flake, Wessex Red Virginia Flake, Wessex Brown Virginia Flake, Samuel Gawith's Golden Glow, and others in that vein. For a bit more oomph, try Samuel Gawith Best Brown, or their St. James Flake. And for oomph overload, experiment gingerly with SG Bracken Flake, 1792 Flake, and Peterson's Irish Flake.
The Rattrays Virginias are also extremely worthwhile: Hal O' The Wynd, Marlin Flake, Old Gowrie, and Brown Clunee.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
@simenon: I don't notice any bergamot casing, but this baccy does get on famously with a cup of Earl Grey. I'd say at the very least, they were cosmically destined for each other.
Also, my very first order of tins consisted of Davidoff Scottish, Danish, and Orlik. OGS made the rotation, the others... Not so much. But I digress.
OGS + Earl Grey = love.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I will have to give the Macbaren VA a try.
So, i read the pipesmagazine review of OGS, and I saw where it may be purchased in pouches in other areas. Does anyone know if the pouches are available anywhere in the US? Or if thatd be cheaper than tins?
I really really like OGS, and I will likely stock up on it soon. Just wondering if I could get the pouches as a more cost effective way to stock up, not that the 100g tins are all that expensive.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
P&C 5+ may be the least expensive, if they sell those) and age it at least 2-3 years prior to popping one.
That's what I've seen after looking around too. P&C is thw way to go!
I will age some!

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Seven 100g tins and five 50g tins on the way from Pipes and Cigars
I was going to get an even 10, but I HAD to add two more to get free shipping, right?? So technically one was free! (At least I like to think of it that way).
Happy birthday to me! (In two weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.