PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I picked up a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced. I am not much for english style smoke, but I gave it a whirl.
Not the best purchase I have made. My B&M doubled the price from online sites but what ever. Nice peppery flavor You could distinctly taste the VA in this blend. First experience with a pressed sliced tobacco. I folded 2 slices couple times and rubbed them into my bowl. The first light was a little troublesome, probably needed to rub them a bit more. Stayed hot the entire smoke. Nice after taste and not too much bite on my toung. The room note was what I expected, thick smell of a woodsy sent. Not a tobacco to smoke before kissing the wife for sure, as it made my clothes smell.
As i went back into work from my truck people looked at me like i just got done working in a pig pen. think i am going to put this one up for trade, and stick to my aero blends.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Man orlik was my first VA when switching from aroes, you really may want to smoke maybe 3 or 4 more bowls,I HATED my first bowl of it with a passion, second bowl was better, rubbed it out extra and then let it dry a decent amount and try tried it again.....now it is possibly my favorite tobacco, keep trying it at least a little, you may be surprised

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Is OGS an English? I thought an English had lat or orientals in it. Regardless, OGS is in my rotation.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Opened my tin of this last week, I've only smoked once since I have a very bad cold :( so it is too early to tell if I like it. However, it was what I expected a full "Virginia" type of tobacco. I didn't get any of the "citrusy" notes/tastes from it but there seemed to be something in the distant background while I smoked it. I hope that I can grow to like this blend.

eddy

Lurker
Jan 9, 2012
AZ
Received a bit of this in a sampler and LOVED it. I really enjoyed the citrus notes, they were very apparent to me. Had some Earl Grey tea with a second bowl and it was even better. Plan of stashing a tin to age for later.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
For the record: Orlik Golden Sliced is NOT an English pipe tobacco.
Technically, it falls into the Virginia / Perique category (VaPer) as it has a touch of Perique in it.
However, I think it is better classified as a Virginai (straight Virginia) as the Perique is in such minute quantities that it isn't detectable.
For the best smoking experience, I suggest rubbing it out, then letting it dry for 30-minutes (if it is a new tin), and smoking very slow.
That will deliver a delicious, naturally sweet Virgina flavor.

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
I was hoping the tin I bought would get better, But it's still not doing it for me.

I was kinda disappointed because of all the great reviews I've read.

I'll try 1 more time in another month before I send it off to a new home!

biloxi123

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2011
Layton, UT
Just smoked my first bowl a few nights ago. It seemed a little moist for my tastes so, aired it out for an hour. I love the stuff. I can't say it's a daily smoke but, I find it a very good after dinner smoke.

biloxi123

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2011
Layton, UT
Oh boy, I disagree, Orlik is one of my favorite everyday smokes
Orlik Golden Slice just might make me change my mind! I thought it was a very solid smoke and I plan to always keep it around in my stash.

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
Ok, I just got a tin of Orlik GS and to me,,it tastes just like PS LNF. I laid out a flake of each,side by side, and the grain and color appear to be a perfect match. I do have a bit of a cold going on now so my taster may not be up to snuff, but they sure look and taste the same to me. Any thoughts on this?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Good observation dottle. :clap: I'll have to do a comparison the next time I have both on hand.
For 2oz., the PS/LNF is about $1.40 less than a 50g tin of Orlik (Little Red).

OTOH, stocking up on the Orlik would be more convenient since the PS/LNF is sold in bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.