PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I received a sampler from an awesome guy here and it was alright, it was my first flake so I rubbed it out. Slightly sweet, smokey flavor IMO. I will definitely try it again to get a better taste for it.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
:puffy:

20130130_204849.jpg

My Orlik order!
And a new coffee table! Do you think my wife would be ok if I just stock the drawers with OGS??
20130130_204904.jpg

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Nice table and tobacco there Gray.
I put mine in my liquor cabinet. My two year old likes to help me arrange the tins and asks to smell the jars. In fact when I clean my pipes he gets a few of his own pipe cleaners and some beaters to "clean".
re: Orlik GS. This is a great tobacco. I wish I had tried it first on my VaPer hunt. I just wish the Perique was heavier. It's got a real honest, clean, taste. I notice when it's dry I get a spice taste, but it's more akin to a baking spice that goes along well with the sweet taste. It's not an every week smoke, but I plan on cellering a few tins for down the road.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Out of sight, out of mind
That is the only way to do it.
If you keep it out of plain sight, before long you will have a big supply of various ages maturing away and after the first few months you won't want to disturb them at all - in fact you will probably want to see how much longer you can keep them there...

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I will hid mine in my storage chest of tobacco.
Maybe I will find them in a couple of years... or weeks, I smoke a lot of Orlik. It does have a nice clean taste, with just a tiny bit of spice. Everytime I smoke it, I am pleased. Can't wait to see what it does after sitting around for a while.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I know... I won't let this thread go away, lol!
I popped a 100g tin and decided to cut up and jar the flake. I just though the giant hunk of flake that comes in the bigger tins is way cool!
20130203_122255_zps08bfb0eb.jpg

I think I like smoking OGS a little moist, the smell right out out the tin is awesome! Very sweet and a little fruity. The dryer it gets, the more spice comes out when smoking.

torben

Lurker
Feb 14, 2013
Hi fellow pipe smokers
Just joined the fellowship. I'm danish and our guru into pipe smoking were Paul C. Olrik (not Orlik, but Olrik), who isn't among us anymore, sad to say. He made a little book in 1968. The title: "The Tobacco Jar"., where he reviewed 125 different tobaccos on the danish market. On Orlik Golden sliced he wrote: "Red Orlik, a very mild virginia. The smoke is unusual. The taste is sweet, comfortable and pleasant without any fuss. It's a blend which is so light and soft, that it has become the first lasting friendship among tobaccos". All the best to all...

torben

Lurker
Feb 14, 2013
Well, I have now smoked a couple of bowls of OGS. Last time was 20 years ago. And this tobacco is boring. Not as I remembered it. In my mind it was rich, sweet and medium full. But the blend today is bland and without any characteristics.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
OGS is some good stuff to me. I ordered the big tin this time because once I start it won't last.
:laughat: Haven't even opened it yet because of it.
It will stay in my rotation for sure!!!!

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I just popped a tin yesterday and it is a favorite. Especially for the price. I've smoked 5 bowls now in 3 different pipes and it is different in all of them. It seemed like a good moisture content and the first bowl I didn;t even dry out and it smoked all the way through with no relights. Even when put down for a few minutes. It will be a go-to especially for the price. I can see it being a "summer smoke" becasue it tastes rather light.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I agree that the moisture is perfect right out of the tin. If you dry ot more, I think that it gets a little more "spicy" tasting and the sweetness backs off a little

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
:) uh oh! I order the big tins too! Mmm,mmm, Orlik. I love the giant flake that comes in the 100g tins.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Dido Gary. The 50g tin was not doing it for me. I can smoke this all day. Just got off my second bowl. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.