Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Hey guys, I just saw the GL Pease sale at SP, so I figured now would be a good time to try out some Pease blends. I haven't smoked any of them at all yet, so please give me your recommendations for standout blends. Specifically, I was looking for blends with a significant Oriental component, because I love me some Orientals, but any recommendations/suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Hey guys, I just saw the GL Pease sale at SP, so I figured now would be a good time to try out some Pease blends. I haven't smoked any of them at all yet, so please give me your recommendations for standout blends. Specifically, I was looking for blends with a significant Oriental component, because I love me some Orientals, but any recommendations/suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
I just tried Cairo myself, and it’s pretty good! I’d recommend that.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I might buy a few of these that are recommended above. They sound interesting. I am cautiously optimistic, however, as I've had several G.L. Pease blends that have 'morphed' over the years into more of a Cornell & Diehl style blend. More on the cigarettey/cigary and harsh side.

My old favorite was Caravan. I hope it hasn't changed much.

Reactions: canucklehead

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I've had several G.L. Pease blends that have 'morphed' over the years into more of a Cornell & Diehl style blend. More on the cigarettey/cigary and harsh side.

My old favorite was Caravan. I hope it hasn't changed much.

Dan Kerr has noticed this tendency in several of his reviews as well. Perhaps the quality and availability of leaf has changed or declined over the years. The main thing I've noticed when I open a super old tin of Pease is just the quality of cut used to be all chunky and uneven. It's way more consistent nowadays.

I don't know what Caravan tasted like when you smoked it, but the current iteration is quite a fine tobacco. Very leathery tasting to be sure but I can't think of anything else quite like it.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Dan Kerr has noticed this tendency in several of his reviews as well. Perhaps the quality and availability of leaf has changed or declined over the years. The main thing I've noticed when I open a super old tin of Pease is just the quality of cut used to be all chunky and uneven. It's way more consistent nowadays.

I don't know what Caravan tasted like when you smoked it, but the current iteration is quite a fine tobacco. Very leathery tasting to be sure but I can't think of anything else quite like it.
Is Dan Kerr the reviewer "DK" on Tobaccoreviews? I enjoy his reviews. He's one of three or four reviewers I look to when I want a "rounded" opinion on a blend.

As for the changes, yes I have to agree. It's almost as if after some time, either the leaf runs out or more economical recipes are used, but in either case it seems that G.L. Pease blends slowly change into C&D "interpretations" of the original.

Reactions: logs

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville

C&D’s old leaf cutting machinery bit the dust back in 2016. Since then they’ve had to use some third party resources for the leaf cutting which has resulted in more consistent and more narrow ribbons.

Reactions: trubka2 and logs
Status
Not open for further replies.