Ordering a pipe from Pipes and Cigars, safe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
While it is not a big deal to open a damaged tin and smoke it, if the whole point of the order was to cellar the tobacco that kind of defeats the purpose. I just went and bought another case of jars rather than deal with returning the tins. A better job of packing would have prevented dented tins and loss of seal on a couple others.
But yeah, we can be persnickety. 8)

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I've ordered from them several times, including a couple pipes, with reasonably good results. OTOH sometimes the boxes look a little worse for wear, in one case several tins were dented. In another case the shipment was split, when the first box arrived it was of course short some items. I had to call to find out about the remainder as there was no information provided to indicate that it was coming in two separate boxes. The second box arrived several days later. The customer service person I talked to was pleasant enough. For high end pipes I tend do business with outfits that take pictures of the actual pipe--not stock photos.

overdrawn

Lurker
May 6, 2015
Rich, I'm sorry that my post offended you. It was an expression of my opinion.

This fellow's first post on this site is a slam that obviously derives from inexperience and he felt the NEED to denigrate Pipes & Cigars.

Eloquent? I think not.

Rich, I appreciate how you defended my right to post my dealings with this company & their unsavory scrupulous tactics, months have passed since my brief dealings with pipes&cigars. I stated facts, dates, times & conversations, also verified by trishd in her post she told exactly what I had said they did, she admitted they polished the same pipes I had received, they gave me return confirmations for shipping back for exchanges which I did several times, shipping my cost. When the supervisor called I was accused of not being sincere in buying pipes, which to this day I haven't heard anything from him, trishd or this company. The fact is, Pipes&cigars created their own problem pawning off the same pipes they assured would be exchanged, not inexperience or denigration that I'm accused of but their tactics. Thanks

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've ordered from them frequently. The simple truth of the matter is that in the customers desire for rock bottom prices, margins have become so small that every penny counts. They've opted to cut costs in their packaging. On some orders its a big deal, others not so much. Order between 5-10 tins and it's likely they'll end up in a big box with little so far as cushioning goes, allowing for much tumbling. I've even ordered before and specifically requested careful packaging which was ignored. If I'm ordering tobacco to cellar, I'll buy elsewhere. I'm not angry about it. Every business has pluses and minuses. If you expect best prices, flawless CS, brilliant careful packing, prompt quick care.... Well good luck with all that. The ones with careful packaging charge a tiny bit more. With our community here, it's quite easy to read a bit and learn what to expect from certain vendors in order to prevent unrealistic expectations.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I've ordered from P&C about once a month on average for the last couple of years. I had only one shipment that was not as expected and P&C made it good.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The only real problem I've had with a P&C order was with the shipping by the USPS and the tracking - neither of which is really a P&C problem. All the order's I have placed with them in the past 1-1/2 years have gotten to me undamaged and well packed.
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
What I assumed was nothing more than a refusal to use of Packing Peanuts, Pappy and Pax, I now realize is something sinister. I'm not certain what's happening here, but I'm going to get to the bottom of this. It obviously has something to do with the letter P.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Order between 5-10 tins and it's likely they'll end up in a big box with little so far as cushioning goes, allowing for much tumbling.
Good point about margins. I'm not sure it takes much to do what TobaccoPipes and VT Smoke Shop did on my larger orders, which was place the stack of tins on newsprint, wrap it around and twist the ends (like a big, er, hand-rolled cigarette or burrito). The result was that even as UPS/USPS folded, spindled, mutilated, drop-kicked, and delivered by parkour the package, it arrived with the only damage being to the outside box.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm somewhat repeating myself, but PC has a pipe buyer (I need to learn the man's name and give him credit by name) who is absolutely uncanny hunting down stocks of brand name pipes at prices that allow PC to absolutely hit low-price home runs. Notable to me, Stanwells and Big Bens, but I think there are a number of others too, those were just my picks. I think PC went through a rough period in the packing room when things weren't done just right, but I think that was several months, not ongoing, and I have never experienced any of it, only read comments on Forums. They didn't stop me for a minute when I saw the opportunity to buy pipes I had long wanted for prices I thought might be misprints. And their blender Russ O. ... it would be a shame to miss his work. If you were disappointed by poor packing in the past, I'd try them again.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I feel bad for retailers having to take a lot of crap from customers. While the crappy pipe makers sit on their hands. The the pipe makers who make crappy pipes don't give a damn (Peterson). I sent an email to Peterson initially asking for help on getting an exchange of an unsmoked pipe. I NEVER received a reply from them. Two hours after I asked a question regarding my pipe purchase on a forum, the Tobaccopipes.com retailer contacted ME.
I also love pipesandcigars dot com. I have spent thousands of dollars there over the past two years. I've returned about 3 pipes simply because they were not what I was expecting. Did I cry about shipping? No because. Pull your panties up boys. ;P

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Hakchuma,
If you had an unsmoked Peterson that was defective, why didn't you contact the retailer you purchased it from??

I'm sure any reputable dealer would have taken it back. That seems like the logical first thing to do.
Rich

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I did both back to back. While I was writing the email to tobacco pipes.com they contacted me via the forum before I knew it, I sent the email to the vendor. Again, Peterson just didn't give a damn and never responded. So I will indeed do the logical thing and never buy a Peterson Pipe. ;D

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Peterson has the retailers and distributors handle matters re pipe returns. They may have forwarded your e-mail to tobacco pipes, but they had already responded.
Not buying the brand due solely to your not getting a reply directly from the manufacturer is not really logical, but certainly your choice. I am not buying another Peterson until I've done a hands on inspection, but that's now my policy for almost any new pipe.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Peterson has the retailers and distributors handle matters re pipe returns.
There's some sense to this, under the assumption that the retailer will be more local to the customer. Also, this way Peterson can take back its rejects as part of normal interaction with the retailer, or just compensate them with new pipes in their next order. The local retailer can then use the defectives to blow soap bubbles.

shadowwolf

Lurker
Oct 29, 2015
I have ordered 2 pipes through them with no issue and both pipes were quality for the price i paid, though also one was a Peterson if that says anything. I am also currently a member of their Tobacco of the Month club. I joined this to get myself a good variety of different types of tobaccos to find the right fits for me. I have to say I believe this month to month club is a tad more expensive then it should be and i can go without getting a new corn cob every month but overall the contact/shopping experience through them as an online retailer is not anything other than what I would expect.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Generally, P&C is highly professional. I also detect subtle improvements in their shipping. I have never had a problem with a pipe from them however; all arrived in sturdy little boxes or carefully wrapped. It's just something to be wary of when you order a whole bunch of tins. UPS shakes the boxes to see which ones rattle, and they use those for their Employees vs. Security rugby tournaments.

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
I've been ordering from Pipes and Cigars for years, and in all those years, only had one order that was delivered incorrectly. I had ordered a pound of Rattray's 7 Reserve bulk, and instead I received a 3.5 ounce tin.
I called in, and Russ personally answered the phone. He was very polite and apologetic, told me to go ahead and keep the 3.5 ounce tin, and he would have me another order sent out immediately to cover the shortage.
A few days later I received 2 pounds of bulk Rattray's 7 Reserve, double the amount I originally ordered. I was speechless to say the least.
I won't ever forget that gesture. It is a testament to the company's commitment to resolving any issue, and leaving their customers grinning ear to ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.