PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I like their "Private Stock" blend, it's a really nice VaPer. I've enjoyed many of their aromatics in the past as well - 'paradise' is a great smoke if you like black cavendish. If you're nearby, the shop is worth stopping by.

Reactions: OSOBUCO

YellowIronPiper87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2019
Central Illinois
Boswell's has a ton of great blends. I do not smoke a lot of aromatics but my favorites from there are Bear Blend, Berry Cobbler, & Pipers Pleasure. If you're wanting some English blends, you can't go wrong with Northwoods or Countryside.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Northwoods is a classic full english, great blend. His aros are quality as well if you’re into that, Raspberry Cream and Piper’s Pleasure in particular.

And although not know for them, I recently tried the Private Stock Va/Per and its pretty solid.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Their Premium Burley is quite good. Think high quality codger blend. It's burley with a bit of cavendish and I recall it being fairly mild in strength. A good all-day smoke.

jeffritter955

Lurker
May 20, 2022
I've now had each of the Boswell English Sampler and their summer sampler. I'm new to the English and find myself a bit of a seasonal smoker when it comes to blend choice. For this hot weather now I really like the Boswell Sweat Tea, Peaches and Cream and the Mild English in the morning or evening with some Berry Cobbler on occasion. Pipers Pleasure is also a treat some cooler mornings. I think the other English blends are going to find their spot this fall/winter in my rotation. Imperial was a favorite during the cooler spring months for me.

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I really like Northwoods. Their aromatics, having a divine tin note, are nothing but hot steam for me. Im not quite sure, but I just cant get any fflvor out of them.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Never had their house blends but i dint mind spending a few bucks extra on tins through them, father and daughter business and i picture Rachel looking like Betsy from The Virginian (and as i said before none of you sobs ruin that for me).

• Haha
Reactions: canucklehead

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I think I am the odd one on this forum - I hate the way nicotine makes me feel. I would smoke all day if I could avoid nicotine but I need to be careful otherwise my BP spikes and I get all jittery. Never do I smoke late in the evening or I'd never fall asleep. Haunted Bookshop about gave me a stroke :(
I have a similar reaction to nicotine, as a strong stimulant not a relaxant.

I've been smoking pipes regularly (normally 1-3 bowls per day) for more than 4 years, cigars before that, and smoked cigarettes for several years when I was younger. Even Sutliff Aros have noticable nicotine for me, I like Gawith ropes but have to use tiny pipes and put them down frequently. Large cigars are too much, I often cut the end inch or two off to smoke in pipes. When I smoked cigarettes every single cig gave me a nic hit, and the first one of the day made me feel high and dizzy. If I go 3 days or more without smoking my nicotine tolerance seems to completely disappear.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
Boswell’s is technically my local tobacconist and has been for years, so of course I’ve smoked a whole slew of his blends, and with that I’ve had a long time to think about this. Not in any way to throw shade, and I do mean that, but if it was between The Country Squire’s blends and Boswell’s blends, TCS wins by 20,000 leagues. Boswell’s blends aren’t horrible, but I wouldn’t call any of them that I’ve smoked more than okay. The reason as to why I personally feel this is less up-in-the-air in my mind and instead is much more of a paradoxical “objective subjective” is because I have visited both stores many, many times in the last few years, and during this time I didn’t smoke any other B&M’s blends other than his.
Why try other house blends when there is so much to try here already? Seemed silly.
So, I smoked and smoked and their blends for a years, some more, some less, but at the end of the day, and I’m sad to feel this way, but his blends in my eyes are simply okay at best.
Trust me, I never wanted to find them all just so-so, they just smoked that way, no matter which pipe I stuffed it into.
Their English blends either bore or overwhelm (but I must state that I am not a Latakia infatuant), his burley blends don’t stand out in any noticeable fashion than any other burley blend I’ve had, his VA/VAper selection is microscopic and dull, and a sizeable chunk of his blends, both aromatic and non-aromatic have this particular sweet topping that while I’m sure is doing its best smoothing over some of the leaf’s rougher edges, is ultimately unpalatable to me. I spent years trying to look for one that I actually dug, and when I finally found one, Blackjack, a blend touting honestly good flavor, a real nice old fashioned blend, I found it really truly bites me, no matter how long I dry it. I’m no chuffer neither, proper bummed I was as I do really like it, but the most delicious blend isn’t worth a higher chance of mouth cancer.
Though, who knows or really cares, I often feel like a glitch in the matrix of pipe smokers when it comes to both his pipes and blends anyway, as I’ve never had either his pipes or blends coax from me anything more than a slight, silent, sullen “meh.”

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I prefer Country Squire house blends personally. Then again, they do non aromatics. I tried the Boswell aros and just couldn't do em. I do, however, by many tins from them and have for some time now due to the great customer service and fast shipping. The nice selection is a plus

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I don't care for aromatics, or very mild blends, and all Boswell blends fall under those categories. That's not to say they are not quality blends, just not blends I care for.

I _will_ say that for the rare occasion I'd like something on the aromatic side, their Boswell's Premium Burley is great. It's like a nuttier, sweeter Carter Hall.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Just tried Boswells "Dans blend". Mellow, very nice. Preferred it to 1Q which is nice when I want something light, Boswell makes some great stuff. I do need to try Country Squire because of all the accolades.

I have a couple Aro samplers from Boswells and the Shire. As I have been trying them I find something about Boswell Aros that is similar in most if not all I have tried. Like there is the same base flavoring with other stuff on top and the base always comes through. Not a bad thing but I do notice it and I would prefer them to be "more different" for variety. The Shire aros are all quite different and I tend to prefer them for that reason. I'd gladly accept free blends from either house ;) - Now, that said, I absolutely love Boswells Countryside and Northwoods as a close second - I know they aren't aros. :)