Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
All three are beautiful choices!

Do you find any difference in the p-lip buttons between the three of them?

On the images the buttons on Sherlock Holmes Squire and the spigot 307 seem to be more delicate and elongated as opposed to the button on the standard system 302. Is that right or is this only an optical illusion in my eyes? Any difference in clenching between the three pipes that you find?

The reason I wonder is thatI am having second thoughts about my own standard system 313. I like clenching my pipes, as I often enjoy a smoke when walking my dog and I need my hands free. After doing some research, I got myself the rusticated 313. I love the looks, the quality, the dimensions and the feel of it in the hand BUT… when it comes to clenching, I find the thickness of the stem and the bulkiness of the p-lip bit a little to much… a little too much of a stem in my mouth. It feels clunky and awkward.

With some further reading (including some helpful insights in this thread) and staring at the images of p-lips on various models and lines, it does seem to me that not all p-lips are created equal. On some pipes such as the Deluxe System B42, the Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker, Sherlock Holmes Mycroft and perhaps some of System Spigots the buttons have a slimmer profile, hence would feel a little less intrusive when clenched??? I understand that these models are probably not the best for clenching given their dimensions and ergonomics, but I am also interested in adding another Peterson to my collection which I would use for longer seated sessions when I actually can hand-hold the pipe for longer periods of time. For that purpose I, still, would prefer a more delicate and slimmer p-lip bit on the pipe.

Anyone else has similar observations or any useful guidance on selection a model? How are p-lips in the Pub and / or the House Pipes?
The system standard is definitely harder (acrylic) and awkward to clench as opposed to the spigot, there is sort of a sweet spot in my teeth when I clench that took me a little bit to discover but once I got it down clenching hasn't been an issue. The Sherlock Holmes Squire is by far a better clencher than my systems, the stem is wider and the p-lip has a slimmer profile. I definitely love the p-lip in general but there is a few issues with both my Systems, the standards draft hole is a little high which makes it difficult to burn the tobacco all the way to the bottom, but that can be overcome with the Peterson pack method. As stated above by Bullet08 the spigots stem does not sit very far in the mortise and because of that it can gurgle at times, (though the standard doesn't sit much deeper) as it seems to collect moisture in the stem itself instead of the well, though the well does pick up some moisture. That can be overcome by removing the stem and blowing the moisture out during your smoke. (thanks to the Army mount). Moving forward I would probably not buy a system standard or spigot again, though I have no regrets, they're both great smokers aside from those couple of minor issues! The system 302 is the benchmark I use for testing a new blend, if it doesn't smoke good in that pipe it just ain't a good tobacco!puffy Will probably stick to the deluxe system in the future, been eyeballing the b42 since I got into pipe smoking, the vulcanite stem and the stem extension should take care of both issues with my other two pipes, and the b42 just looks goooood! Unfortunately the b42 deluxe system smooth has been harder to find than Esoterica tobacco! 🤬 the Sherlock Holmes Squire definitely impressed me and it is a great smoker! Will be picking up a few more Sherlock Holmes pipes in the future because of it! I hope this helped answer your questions.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
All three are beautiful choices!

Do you find any difference in the p-lip buttons between the three of them?

On the images the buttons on Sherlock Holmes Squire and the spigot 307 seem to be more delicate and elongated as opposed to the button on the standard system 302. Is that right or is this only an optical illusion in my eyes? Any difference in clenching between the three pipes that you find?

The reason I wonder is thatI am having second thoughts about my own standard system 313. I like clenching my pipes, as I often enjoy a smoke when walking my dog and I need my hands free. After doing some research, I got myself the rusticated 313. I love the looks, the quality, the dimensions and the feel of it in the hand BUT… when it comes to clenching, I find the thickness of the stem and the bulkiness of the p-lip bit a little to much… a little too much of a stem in my mouth. It feels clunky and awkward.

With some further reading (including some helpful insights in this thread) and staring at the images of p-lips on various models and lines, it does seem to me that not all p-lips are created equal. On some pipes such as the Deluxe System B42, the Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker, Sherlock Holmes Mycroft and perhaps some of System Spigots the buttons have a slimmer profile, hence would feel a little less intrusive when clenched??? I understand that these models are probably not the best for clenching given their dimensions and ergonomics, but I am also interested in adding another Peterson to my collection which I would use for longer seated sessions when I actually can hand-hold the pipe for longer periods of time. For that purpose I, still, would prefer a more delicate and slimmer p-lip bit on the pipe.

Anyone else has similar observations or any useful guidance on selection a model? How are p-lips in the Pub and / or the House Pipes?
I have a good mix of Deluxe, Premier, and Standard Systems at this point, and for me, it really depends on the model. I have a B42 Premier that I don't like at all because the P-lip is too narrow and it's like clenching a pencil, and for a pipe of that size the stem and P-lip don't have the girth to make it comfortable to clench. It's one of the few Systems I'll get rid of for that reason. My Premier 313 has a perfect stem and P-lip and disappears when clenched, and I love that pipe. It's also an acrylic stem and the P-lip is closest to my Deluxe pipes in size.

In general, vintage system standards have the thin stem and P-lip that I don't like (I have a 307, 312, 309, 1309, Premier 309) and the modern Deluxe and Standards (I have a 302, 303, 312, 314, 2021 & 2022 POTY) have the wider stem and P-Lip that I love. The vintage 305 & Dunmore 72, 78, & 79 are all vintage and have wider stems and P-lips. All this to say it appears to be a crapshoot on which stem and P-lip you get :)

The Pub Pipe that I have has the wider stem and P-lip.

Reactions: Severus and edger

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
The system standard is definitely harder (acrylic) and awkward to clench as opposed to the spigot, there is sort of a sweet spot in my teeth when I clench that took me a little bit to discover but once I got it down clenching hasn't been an issue. The Sherlock Holmes Squire is by far a better clencher than my systems, the stem is wider and the p-lip has a slimmer profile. I definitely love the p-lip in general but there is a few issues with both my Systems, the standards draft hole is a little high which makes it difficult to burn the tobacco all the way to the bottom, but that can be overcome with the Peterson pack method. As stated above by Bullet08 the spigots stem does not sit very far in the mortise and because of that it can gurgle at times, (though the standard doesn't sit much deeper) as it seems to collect moisture in the stem itself instead of the well, though the well does pick up some moisture. That can be overcome by removing the stem and blowing the moisture out during your smoke. (thanks to the Army mount). Moving forward I would probably not buy a system standard or spigot again, though I have no regrets, they're both great smokers aside from those couple of minor issues! The system 302 is the benchmark I use for testing a new blend, if it doesn't smoke good in that pipe it just ain't a good tobacco!puffy Will probably stick to the deluxe system in the future, been eyeballing the b42 since I got into pipe smoking, the vulcanite stem and the stem extension should take care of both issues with my other two pipes, and the b42 just looks goooood! Unfortunately the b42 deluxe system smooth has been harder to find than Esoterica tobacco! 🤬 the Sherlock Holmes Squire definitely impressed me and it is a great smoker! Will be picking up a few more Sherlock Holmes pipes in the future because of it! I hope this helped answer your questions.
Thanks, @Masterblaster, this indeed is very helpful, especially for considering my next Pete. I do like how the spigots look and i still have one on my wish list but your feedback about how comfortable your Sherlock Holmes is warrants a consideration to get one. Maybe SH will even come before the spigot. As for my very first Pete - Standard System 313…while I do love the aesthetics, I dont think its worth the compromise on comfort, particularly because I am a clencher. Thanks again for the detailed feedback. The other take away from this is that moving forward I will only consider Deluxe System pipes, with B42 being on top of the list.

Severus

Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
I have a good mix of Deluxe, Premier, and Standard Systems at this point, and for me, it really depends on the model. I have a B42 Premier that I don't like at all because the P-lip is too narrow and it's like clenching a pencil, and for a pipe of that size the stem and P-lip don't have the girth to make it comfortable to clench. It's one of the few Systems I'll get rid of for that reason. My Premier 313 has a perfect stem and P-lip and disappears when clenched, and I love that pipe. It's also an acrylic stem and the P-lip is closest to my Deluxe pipes in size.

In general, vintage system standards have the thin stem and P-lip that I don't like (I have a 307, 312, 309, 1309, Premier 309) and the modern Deluxe and Standards (I have a 302, 303, 312, 314, 2021 & 2022 POTY) have the wider stem and P-Lip that I love. The vintage 305 & Dunmore 72, 78, & 79 are all vintage and have wider stems and P-lips. All this to say it appears to be a crapshoot on which stem and P-lip you get :)

The Pub Pipe that I have has the wider stem and P-lip.
Wow, that is an impressive Peterson line up. I bet you are a fan. :)

I was under the impression that Standard and Premier system stems were coning out if the same mold, and both would have think and clunky stem, but it sounds like I had tge wrong impression. Gotta pay close attention when selection my next system or p-lip pipe. And that is the main thing that I take from your experience. As such, I guess, my next Pete will either have to be acquired in person or after a careful assessment of the pipe features on pictures of the actual pipe, which means it will likely come from SP.com.

Severus

Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Without going into details, only System Spigot misses the point. Yes, I have 'em all. Not because I love Peterson so much, I do, but I wanted to experience it all. The P-lip suck on System Standard, but it's smokable. Premier,also has Standard P-lip issue. But that's not really a big deal. You get used to it. Big deal is how far the extension on the tenon goes into the mortise. If you look at all the System pipes, there's an extension on the tenon. However, the System Spigot doesn't. Does it matter? From my experience, it really doesn't. But the idea is to have tenon below the draught hole so the moisture doesn't drop down into the draught hole. And in practice, it doesn't. But what the hell? I want that extension!!!
Thanks, @bullet08. Didn't see you reply yesterday and only saw it now. I don't think I want to get used to the Standard System p-lip button, I will either sell it or trade it.

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Thanks, @Masterblaster, this indeed is very helpful, especially for considering my next Pete. I do like how the spigots look and i still have one on my wish list but your feedback about how comfortable your Sherlock Holmes is warrants a consideration to get one. Maybe SH will even come before the spigot. As for my very first Pete - Standard System 313…while I do love the aesthetics, I dont think its worth the compromise on comfort, particularly because I am a clencher. Thanks again for the detailed feedback. The other take away from this is that moving forward I will only consider Deluxe System pipes, with B42 being on top of the list.
I just hope you don't find the elusive b42 Deluxe before I do!:oops:rotf

• Haha
Reactions: Severus and edger

crossroads

Lurker
Jan 6, 2018
South of England
I have a system 305, probably my favourite pipe. It’s light, has an acrylic stem and p lip. You can clench it comfortably as it hangs down nicely.Irish flake lasts me forty minutes with stuff and fold but I’m not a sipper. I keep my pipes clean, most times I smoke the first half and flick out the grey ash then run it through with a tapered pipe cleaner and mop up any moisture in the chamber. The second half smokes great. The p lip is great for me, no going back. A Peterson pub pipe will give you an hour, no problem but I don’t clench mine long as it’s too big. IMO system pipes are designed to be broken down and cleaned, even in mid smoke. If you follow my method the moisture trap will not overflow unless you turn your pipe over. Hope this helps.

Reactions: edger

OmegaMu

Lurker
Nov 23, 2022
I am a new pipesmoker and I started out with 2 moderate/cheap pipes.
After a couple of weeks after reading this thread I bought a Peterson system pipe (pet209 Peterson, Sys. Standard 302 Heritage, P-Lip) Wow! What a difference , now for the first time I really enjoyed the whole smoke. The nice flavours in the tobacco were much more present.

So happy I bought this pipe.

Ksigel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2021
Connecticut
Glad you like it. As a confirmed Peterson smoker, I couldn’t agree more. Check out Mark Irwin’s petersonpipenotes.org. I think you’ll find it interesting. Happy smokes

Reactions: TN Jed and OmegaMu

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Peterson makes excellent pipes.
I have both system and regular. Both smoke great. If you are expecting a huge difference you will be disappointed. But I pretty much guarantee that it will be a good product. Personally I couldn't care less about the system.

• Love
Reactions: keith929

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Peterson is among the highest order of brands that sell excellent pipes for about a hundred dollars and up.

The system pipes tend to be excellent, cool and dry smokers, and some shapes have been in the catalog more than a century.

Nobody ever bought a new Peterson and sat down on a stump in a few years and cried about the money he wasted on one.:)

Reactions: keith929

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Less expensive the line is, clunkier the P-lip is. Or at least that's my experience. System Standard and Premium seems to have more rounded P-lip that's little less refined. Possibly molded and shaped? Sherlock Holmes, Deluxe and Spigots have better P-lip.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Less expensive the line is, clunkier the P-lip is. Or at least that's my experience. System Standard and Premium seems to have more rounded P-lip that's little less refined. Possibly molded and shaped? Sherlock Holmes, Deluxe and Spigots have better P-lip.
Each to their own.I got rid of a couple of deluxe pipes as the plip was too wide for me.reminds me of a tongue depressor My older deluxe are fine

Jan 4, 2023
Anchorage, Alaska
I absolutely love the system standard; I have more system standards than other models. At first, I thought the system was a hoax until I finally smoked one and I would say although it does not completely eliminate all moisture, it cuts back on the moisture/kickback goop juice by about 75% (of course all subjective).

I have the 302 and the 307 and out of the two I tend to lean more towards 302:

302: seems to rest in the hands much more comfortably than the 307- much more apple-rounded shape, heavier and more plump, but shorter. Stem is more upright, less of a lean/tilt- call me weird, but sometimes I don't feel like tilting the bowl, and some days, its all about the tilt?

307: seems lighter than the 302, but less plump- doesn't rest in the hands as well. Taller bowl, and I think it packs more tobacco and offers a longer smoke time (also subjective). Stem is more in line with a shape 69, although slightly more upright, but not as upright as say an XL02 or 307.

I think there is no added benefit other than aesthetics between the system standard vs the spigot. The spigots sure are fancy looking though!

302 on top, 307 on bottom:

tempImage3r6eHk.jpg

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I had one of these, until I gave it to my significant other's nephew.

A great smoker and a good clencher, being 3/4 or full bent lends itself to clenching. And it's from the deluxe line-up.

Need to get another one, I think.

Attachments

• Peteerson System Deluxe PSB.jpg
    Peteerson System Deluxe PSB.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Ksigel