rectifythis

Lurker
Sep 3, 2024
Arizona

WirelessSmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2024
New England
I just had my first bowl of this tonight...pretty decent. The creosote is muffled and softened. I got no room note complaints and my beard has no afterstink whatsoever. A bit mild for me though.

I'm early into my venture with English style blends. My only other is Early Morning Pipe. I'm not crazy about the tin note of EMP, but I really enjoy smoking it. Too early to tell but I can see English Ernie-ental becoming a regular in my rotation.

tmc

Lurker
Aug 18, 2024
Michigan
Since I’ve rediscovered the pipe, I have been focusing on one blend at a time. When I started smoking in 2004 I began with Nightcap and GLP English/Balkan blends.

My last tin was Peterson’s Irish Flake which I really enjoyed. Now I’m on to a tin of 2017 MB vanilla flake that I found at a clock tobaconist.

IMG_2552.jpeg

IMG_2553.jpeg

IMG_2554.jpeg

IMG_2555.jpeg

JoburgB2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2024
Dundee, Scotland
Since I’ve rediscovered the pipe, I have been focusing on one blend at a time. When I started smoking in 2004 I began with Nightcap and GLP English/Balkan blends.

My last tin was Peterson’s Irish Flake which I really enjoyed. Now I’m on to a tin of 2017 MB vanilla flake that I found at a clock tobaconist.

View attachment 343652

View attachment 343653

View attachment 343655
Your plan to focus on one blend at a time is admirable! Good luck! I haven’t been able to do that in 42 years! Just one question, what is a “clock tobaconist [sic]”?

Reactions: Steddy and FLDRD

tmc

Lurker
Aug 18, 2024
Michigan
Your plan to focus on one blend at a time is admirable! Good luck! I haven’t been able to do that in 42 years! Just one question, what is a “clock tobaconist [sic]”?
Oops! Meant to type local. Also, tobacconist is probably an overstatement. It’s a cigar bar with a handful of rusty tins on the bottom shelf of the humidor.

Yes, I was all over the place when I started. I bought lots of tins and smoked a lot of really good tobacco, but never really took the time to enjoy any one of them.

My plan is to pick a readily available example of each different style with the goal of finding a few cellar worthy blends. I’m thinking Orlik Golden Sliced will be next on the list.

Last edited:

JoburgB2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2024
Dundee, Scotland
Oops! Meant to type local.

Yes, I was all over the place when I started. I bought lots of tins and smoked a lot of really good tobacco, but never really took the time to enjoy any one of them.

My plan is to pick a readily available example of each different style with the goal of finding a few cellar worthy blends. I’m thinking Orlick Golden Sliced will be next on the list.
Local! That’s great! I knew clock was maybe not the right word, but one never knows! Orlik Golden Sliced would be an excellent choice, it is a favourite of many!

The Novice Piper

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2024
United States
I thought Le Petit Robin was mostly Virginia with a bit of Semois as a condiment...
If that's the case I'd be very surprised, but you never know...

Le Petit Robin tastes to me exactly like La Volute except with the already existing range of flavors accentuated on the cooler end, and Manil claims La Volute is pure Semois.

That being said, I pick up a breadiness in Robin that I reminds me somehow of Virginia, even though I don't pick up breadiness in any Virginia I've tried so far.

khiddy

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
If that's the case I'd be very surprised, but you never know...

Le Petit Robin tastes to me exactly like La Volute except with the already existing range of flavors accentuated on the cooler end, and Manil claims La Volute is pure Semois.

That being said, I pick up a breadiness in Robin that I reminds me somehow of Virginia, even though I don't pick up breadiness in any Virginia I've tried so far.
TobaccoReviews and the description on SmokingPipes both list Le Petit Robin as being a semois blend with up to 70% non-semois (though of course Vincent Manil isn't divulging any actual blend info).

BingBong

Lifer
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
My plan is to pick a readily available example of each different style with the goal of finding a few cellar worthy blends. I’m thinking Orlik Golden Sliced will be next on the list.
I second the Orlik, it's an easy and pleasant change of pace for me. I have a tin open; when that ends, I'll pop a tin of the Vintage Aged version, which is a little bit of a heavier smoke.

khiddy

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
As I buy 250g bags of Cabbies, I reload a jar and as my "working" tin empties, I reload it from the jar. Mostly, it's coins and ribbon, but now and again, a monster chunk comes out!

View attachment 344705
Jupiter? Great Red Spot? Pah.
We Yanks can’t even get Cabbie’s, and meanwhile this guy’s swimming in enormous chunks of it. What a world! 😜

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
GLP Regents Flake tinned on June 22, 2023. I do like the fact that the date label is straightforward rather than an indecipherable set of numbers you need an enigma machine to decode.

The tobacco was very moist, which might account for the blob of mold at 12 o'clock. Luckily, the rest of the tin seemed fine but I do worry about the other tins I bought in the same order.

According to the description, Regents Flake contains "mature red and sweet bright virginias" Izmur leaf and a touch of perique. I must confess, I can hardly taste the Oriental component except perhaps as a touch of sourness. But the Virginias are sweet, malty and mellow. A reliably pleasant easy smoke.

The flakes are fairly thick and barely hang together, which makes them near-impossible to fold and stuff. They do rub out easily and dry fairly quickly.
IMG_8027.jpegIMG_8030.jpegIMG_8028.jpegIMG_8029.jpeg

Roach1

Lifer
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
GLP Regents Flake tinned on June 22, 2023. I do like the fact that the date label is straightforward rather than an indecipherable set of numbers you need an enigma machine to decode.

The tobacco was very moist, which might account for the blob of mold at 12 o'clock. Luckily, the rest of the tin seemed fine but I do worry about the other tins I bought in the same order.

According to the description, Regents Flake contains "mature red and sweet bright virginias" Izmur leaf and a touch of perique. I must confess, I can hardly taste the Oriental component except perhaps as a touch of sourness. But the Virginias are sweet, malty and mellow. A reliably pleasant easy smoke.

The flakes are fairly thick and barely hang together, which makes them near-impossible to fold and stuff. They do rub out easily and dry fairly quickly.
View attachment 344733View attachment 344734View attachment 344735View attachment 344736
Do use just throw the moldy piece away?