PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
View attachment 305819
2021 MacBaren Balkan. This is a new one for me and so far it is very enjoyable. I like this a lot. This was released as a replacement for Vintage Syrian. No, it's not the same blend. A little less latakia, perhaps because Cyprian is a more potent and fresher version of latakia. Similar casing as Vintage Syrian, but a bit different. Has the trademark MacBaren tart/sweet Virginias with their signature Kentucky as a small, but necessary player. Clean, crisp finish. It's not trying to be Vintage Syrian, it's it's own thing. I highly recommend this one as a medium Balkan.
Yes indeed, one of my favourite tobaccos and ages superbly

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Birthday this week. Decided to crack open a tin of Vanners by Fribourg & Treyer. This particular tin was purchased mid-year 2008, making it a Bush era tin. This came from roughly the same time I lit up my first pipe, as a freshman undergrad at a Christian college in rural SC.

I didn't know who the hell I was or what the hell I was doing. Still, there's something reminiscent and calming about a historic blend made in that era, in that moment. Part of me thinks it was a simpler time, while the rest of me thinks that that's what everybody always thinks.

20240428_193730.jpg

20240428_193821.jpg

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Birthday this week. Decided to crack open a tin of Vanners by Fribourg & Treyer. This particular tin was purchased mid-year 2008, making it a Bush era tin. This came from roughly the same time I lit up my first pipe, as a freshman undergrad at a Christian college in rural SC.

I didn't know who the hell I was or what the hell I was doing. Still, there's something reminiscent and calming about a historic blend made in that era, in that moment. Part of me thinks it was a simpler time, while the rest of me thinks that that's what everybody always thinks.

View attachment 306556

View attachment 306557
Happy birthday 🎉 & enjoy. 👍☕

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Now that it's my actual birthday, I popped the Dunhill tin, circa 2015, smoked in an Ash Cooper. I still have some of the Pete version open, so I showed them here for a side-by-side comparison. Needless to say, it ain't the same. The Virginias in the Dunhill are much redder and the tin smells of lemon zest. There appears to be less perique in the Dunhill as well. Either that, or it blended visually over time.

20240501_100616.jpg

20240501_112853.jpg

20240501_112746.jpg

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Now that it's my actual birthday, I popped the Dunhill tin, circa 2015, smoked in an Ash Cooper. I still have some of the Pete version open, so I showed them here for a side-by-side comparison. Needless to say, it ain't the same. The Virginias in the Dunhill are much redder and the tin smells of lemon zest. There appears to be less perique in the Dunhill as well. Either that, or it blended visually over time.

View attachment 307088

View attachment 307089

View attachment 307090
I'd say all the difference is attributable to age. Which did you prefer as a smoke?

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
My wife is a big fan of Danish aromatics and her tin of Caribbean Blue Graham just kicked the bucket. I found this next tin on Tinbids a few months ago, but to be honest, I have no idea what in God's green hell this is. I can't seem to find info on it anywhere.

It's clearly an aromatic, with a tin note of hot chocolate and a late Bush administration era date on it. I guess sometimes you just need some "marple" & spice in your life.

20240502_160451.jpg

20240502_160520.jpg

20240502_160504.jpg

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
My wife is a big fan of Danish aromatics and her tin of Caribbean Blue Graham just kicked the bucket. I found this next tin on Tinbids a few months ago, but to be honest, I have no idea what in God's green hell this is. I can't seem to find info on it anywhere.

It's clearly an aromatic, with a tin note of hot chocolate and a late Bush administration era date on it. I guess sometimes you just need some "marple" & spice in your life.

View attachment 307334
Looks like TR has a little info on other blends, but not that one: Tobacco Reviews - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand/217/danish-import/

Care to submit a review? puffy

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: jbfrady

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I'd say all the difference is attributable to age. Which did you prefer as a smoke?
I'd have to say the Dunhill. It had more spice to the retrohale, which shouldn't be the case of the products we're identical. The Dunhill's perique should've been mellower. I believe they're the same recipe in terms of VA to Perique, but I don't believe it's the  same Virginia or perique.

Reactions: fireground_piper
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I'd have to say the Dunhill. It had more spice to the retrohale, which shouldn't be the case of the products we're identical. The Dunhill's perique should've been mellower. I believe they're the same recipe in terms of VA to Perique, but I don't believe it's the  same Virginia or perique.
I’d guess yearly crop fluctuations? Since STG made Dunhill blends since 2005(?) it’s the same company making both tins.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I’d guess yearly crop fluctuations? Since STG made Dunhill blends since 2005(?) it’s the same company making both tins.
It could be, but there's no rule against changing the leaves, so long as you're not changing varietals. On the face of the Peterson tin it says "Original Recipe" 5 times, as though to ensure the patron that nothing has changed.

But what it says to me is... original recipe is the thing specified. If I make a chicken alfredo with ingredients from Whole Foods and then I make the same exact recipe with the same ingredients purchased from Walmart, I can claim that they're identical dishes, even though they'll taste at least as different as Pepsi and Coke.

I'm not saying Peterson is employing Great Value leaf, but after purchasing the rights to the recipe, there's nothing saying they didn't follow the age-old business trend of trying to cut down cost.

From STG's perspective, they just get paid to mash the shit up and cut it, but I can't imagine they have so much say in purchasing and sourcing. I could be wrong, of course.

Reactions: beefeater33