PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Slidell, LA
I was in Metairie today so I stopped at Mayan Imports to have a cigar. Then I found a blend I don't remember seeing before, Wessex Campaign so I decided to try a tin. I opened it and found it to be very long dark brown flakes that were bent in half to fit inside the tin. It is extremely wet also. It is so wet it makes a piece of wood floating in the swamp look dry. May have to let it dry a day or two before smoking.
Wessex_Campaign1.jpg
Wessex_Campaign2A copy.jpg

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I was in Metairie today so I stopped at Mayan Imports to have a cigar. Then I found a blend I don't remember seeing before, Wessex Campaign so I decided to try a tin. I opened it and found it to be very long dark brown flakes that were bent in half to fit inside the tin. It is extremely wet also. It is so wet it makes a piece of wood floating in the swamp look dry. May have to let it dry a day or two before smoking.
View attachment 330169
View attachment 330170
Interesting, Recent tins I have had (2021-2022) came in cut flakes. Have they gone back to the rolled flakes?

JoeW

Can't Leave
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
Opened my first tin of Irish Flake a couple of days ago, fantastic stuff! Though probably only suitable for certain situations 😵‍💫

Picked this up at a shop in the Michigan Upper Penninsula - strange shop, strange proprietor, and check out that price sticker. No, I didn’t pay this much, but I paid over 2x retail.

I’ve been there a few times and prices are high: I recall $15.95 for a pouch of SWR, and $17.95 for a pouch of Mixture No. 79. Pipe tobacco selection is pretty light too. I figure the high prices are cost of admission to the smoking lounge, which is a nice way to spend some time. I live about an hour away, so I don’t get there as often as I’d like.

The place is unapologetically UP. If you want to see what most of UP culture is like, you can find it there: independent, traditional interests, friendly.

I have a tin of Irish Flake too, but haven’t had a chance to open it yet. Thanks for your post!

Reactions: Danimal92sport

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Pre-2015 tin of Penzance! I've been waiting for this day almost since I started smoking a pipe. The myth, the lore, the unicorniness of it all! :) Emphasis intended.

Truthfully I am glad that I get to try a blend that I didn't really think I'd get to. I am documenting this as much for myself as for the group. I'll be posting to WAYS as soon as I gather up the nerve to put fire to this specimen.

On opening, the paper is practically transparent. The tin seemed to have a good seal still. And the tobacco was deep, dark, and rich. I got quite a bit of creamy latakia on the nose. I am transferring immediately to an 8oz Ball canning jar.

IMG_4614.jpegIMG_4615.jpegIMG_4616.jpegIMG_4617.jpegIMG_4618.jpeg

Groot5225

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2023
Pre-2015 tin of Penzance! I've been waiting for this day almost since I started smoking a pipe. The myth, the lore, the unicorniness of it all! :) Emphasis intended.

Truthfully I am glad that I get to try a blend that I didn't really think I'd get to. I am documenting this as much for myself as for the group. I'll be posting to WAYS as soon as I gather up the nerve to put fire to this specimen.

On opening, the paper is practically transparent. The tin seemed to have a good seal still. And the tobacco was deep, dark, and rich. I got quite a bit of creamy latakia on the nose. I am transferring immediately to an 8oz Ball canning jar.

View attachment 330528View attachment 330529View attachment 330531View attachment 330532View attachment 330530
Looks magical! Thanks for sharing. I know what to look forward to when I open my tin. Bought the other lot of Penzance and frog Morton from the same seller.