PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm suprised this thread kept being bumped, and is actually on pg 3.

All you Yanik haters inspired me to change my avatar to my favorite meer LOL.

Actually I'd been meaning to do it for a while, but the unexpected response to this thread gave me the added motivation.

As far as the faces go, my impression is that he does much better on the larger scale carvings...it's the small ones that don't look as good.

But the faces aren't what I particularly like about him...it's more the stuff like this:

Yanik 4.jpg

Yanik 1.jpg

Brig

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2024
New England
I'm by no means a Yanik hater, I think he's one of the best carvers still doing this. However, I think that in itself also shows that meer carving is a dying art form, and we'll likely never see someone churning out pipes like the carvers of yesteryear. At least not commercially.

My first non-antique meer was a Yanik that went under the radar for $35 shipped. Smokes very well, no drilling issues at all which I have read he struggles with
Screenshot_20240707_121117_eBay.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My first non-antique meer was a Yanik that went under the radar for $35 shipped. Smokes very well, no drilling issues at all which I have read he struggles with

Indeed you do have to beware of drilling issues when considering one of his pipes. Fortunately my avatar pipe is drilled perfectly and smokes great...it was my first Yanik.

Sadly this buffalo has horrendously bad drilling, but I'm still glad I have it only because I love the carving so much. It smokes ok by shoving a small piece of a falcon filter down inside the giant gaping hole where the airway comes in beneath the chamber...but I only smoke it very occasionally.

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Indeed you do have to beware of drilling issues when considering one of his pipes. Fortunately my avatar pipe is drilled perfectly and smokes great...it was my first Yanik.

Sadly this buffalo has horrendously bad drilling, but I'm still glad I have it only because I love the carving so much. It smokes ok by shoving a small piece of a falcon filter down inside the giant gaping hole where the airway comes in beneath the chamber...but I only smoke it very occasionally.

View attachment 322486
That pipe is spectacular! I've had to put my big Yanik up for sale, same price I paid (I never smoked it and only handled it lightly) because I need money for other items I want to put in my collections, but I feel bad about it. I'd feel just as bad about selling that bison if I had it.

Mine:
BwbVIsC.jpg

RNWP6dD.jpg