PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
s-l960.webp

s-l960.webp

It's always an amazing experience just to browse the pieces on his site.

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I’m not seeing much skill in the carvers work there, look at the hands!!
Saw this one recently, look at the skill that went into this old pipe. The folds & creases in the straw hat alone!
View attachment 309960
Consider the scale though. For the piece you posted, its a figural head piece so you have a larger subject where you can include much more detail. For the other one, its a larger scene so you can't get as narrow detail

Reactions: brian64

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My 14 year old self was having enough trouble growing up. I'm pretty sure being punched in the face by a time traveling 60 year old wouldn't have helped anything.
Honestly I'd tell my 14 year old self that woman are way easier then I think and that the competition for their affection really doesn't know what it's doing. Or in other words my little dude it will happen more then once or twice.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Saw this one recently, look at the skill that went into this old pipe. The folds & creases in the straw hat alone!
View attachment 309960
I've seen some old ones that make this pipe look like a reject. Saw a very similar one that the carve added realistic looking texture to the face. Looked less like a carving and more like some weird necromancy.

dottlejockey

Can't Leave
Yanik certainly has carving skills. I've previously owned a couple of his pipes years ago and returned them to the market due to interior engineering issues. They didn't smoke that well and i'm not interested in display pipes. lol However, i'll admit these were not his more expensive pieces. Still nice to admire from afar!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
View attachment 309960

I didn't post this particular Yanik piece as an example of his carving skill, but as an example of how extremely unusual some of his creations can be.

I've posted other examples in the past of his carving skill, which IMO are unrivaled by any I've ever seen.

Last edited: