Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I heard that Smoking Pipes has recently ordered parallelogram shaped tins for certain unsuspecting customers whose names rhyme with georged … but you know how rumors get started.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Uh-oh. I ordered a few tins from SP, they were delivered a few days later, along with a separate Christmas card from them. But, I never opened the box, but gave it to the wife to wrap for Christmas to me. But, now I'm learning that the tins aren't round or even made of tin. I feel violated.

• Haha
Reactions: didimauw and Tate

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
A modest proposal : posts in the WAYS thread should include not only the tobacco and pipe but specifications and photos (noting any anomolies) of the tins (especially those lacking actual tin!) and the vendor to shame them into mechanical perfection. They might need to work on their lathes …. 😂

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I have given up on Tobacco tins, no matter what they're made from! In the 1980s, 50 g of Capstan came in a rectangular tin only about 2/3 the size of the current tin. They were great for keeping your tobacco fresh for a week or two as they would reseal usually. The larger squarish tin that Capstan comes in these days will not keep the tobacco fresh for more than a couple of days unless you wrap a couple of strong rubber bands around it. Nowadays I open a tin of tobacco load my pipe and put the remainder of of the tobacco in a mason jar with a good lid. That will keep it fresh for months at least. I don't even trust the out of round tins. Everything these days is opened and placed in a Mason or Ball jar with a new lid and ring.
The tins are obviously not made of tin because they are magnetic. Obviously they are made of steel but "opening a fresh steel of tobacco" just doesn't sound right, IMHO. 🤨

• Sad
Reactions: woodsroad