PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Nice pair of pipe tampers on that girl! :col:
It's apparently a little colder in Kentucky than I would have thought . . .

Seriously, pretty talented artist there, can't imagine how they turn that stuff out --- the figural really isn't for me, either, but I appreciate looking at the sculpture aspects of them, kind of takes me back to the opening credits of "Black Sails". So I understand why many are drawn to those pipes.

On another note, I'm going to have one carved - Sinan Altinok has approved my design for a commission (I sent feelers out to Meerschaum Market and Altinay as well and they haven't been able to respond/communicate in a timely way -- no judgments, just fact, and everyone is busy this time of year). Sinan has been prompt and engaged so going that direction -- I think he was having trouble understanding via message what I had in mind and requested some sketches -- that was a challenge, but I think I pulled them off! The carver can go wild filling in all the blanks. The yew is centuries old and resides at Muckross Abbey near Killarney and was one of the more fascinating places we visited on our trip last spring. CDCC4656-5EF7-4C88-9FA7-9A2170437B26.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It's apparently a little colder in Kentucky than I would have thought . . .

Seriously, pretty talented artist there, can't imagine how they turn that stuff out --- the figural really isn't for me, either, but I appreciate looking at the sculpture aspects of them, kind of takes me back to the opening credits of "Black Sails". So I understand why many are drawn to those pipes.

On another note, I'm going to have one carved - Sinan Altinok has approved my design for a commission (I sent feelers out to Meerschaum Market and Altinay as well and they haven't been able to respond/communicate in a timely way -- no judgments, just fact, and everyone is busy this time of year). Sinan has been prompt and engaged so going that direction -- I think he was having trouble understanding via message what I had in mind and requested some sketches -- that was a challenge, but I think I pulled them off! The carver can go wild filling in all the blanks. The yew is centuries old and resides at Muckross Abbey near Killarney and was one of the more fascinating places we visited on our trip last spring. View attachment 186696
Interesting. I'm very intrigued to see how that looks! And I understand how the communication can be a problem. I had sketches, pictures, formatted from inches to mm. It was kind of a journey for my commissioned meer. But fun none the less.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Interesting. I'm very intrigued to see how that looks! And I understand how the communication can be a problem. I had sketches, pictures, formatted from inches to mm. It was kind of a journey for my commissioned meer. But fun none the less.
Other than wanting a fairly compact profile and those design elements, I just didn't know what to do with the rest of it, so I figure it will be something interesting and leave it to the carver. I used one of his pipes for sale as a guide for the size elements figuring they can work off those dimensions.

Reactions: didimauw

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
His pipes tend to have 3 inch deep chambers and large pipes and figurals are easier for my arthritically challenged hands to hold

Touches all the bases!

One of the reasons I'm getting a carved one is just to make it more "grippable", though I love the IMP. I just can't find a carved version that speaks to me, so I decided to take a shot at a design element and see if a carver would take it on --- compared to that beauty a tree should be a no brainer!

Reactions: Chasing Embers

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Other than wanting a fairly compact profile and those design elements, I just didn't know what to do with the rest of it, so I figure it will be something interesting and leave it to the carver. I used one of his pipes for sale as a guide for the size elements figuring they can work off those dimensions.
So the rest of the pipe won't be smooth? That could be neat. Interesting those designs into more meeresque carvings!

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Maybe something like a basket weave but looking more like stone/brick.

Okay, sorry for the thread jacking!

@DanWil84 - haven’t you got that pipe all colored yet?

Unless you think white is a color, yes! But on the pipe itself, I've got no complaints at all. To early to say for sure if I'm going to enjoy the same pipe for a year, but untill now it smokes great. One smoke at a time. I think the thing that will make it interesting is I'll get a jar shipment tommorow and will open all the 10ish single tins I have so I'll have a lot of new blends to try.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
6 weeks into this experiment now. The pipe smokes like a dream (like expected), no breaking in period, no chalky taste the first few bowls. I have been smoking 42 bowls until now, way less than I wanted to get a good color on it. I had quite a few time constraints unfortunately (not being able to smoke indoors anywhere for example), hoping to smoke a bit more when spring hits and I can set up work in the shed without being miserable all day. Not that it is cold outside for a smoke, but I work from home a lot and can't smoke in the house.

I was not a fan of smoking VaPer and some VA's in a meerschaum pipe, but somehow this pipe is different. In the below graph it shows I have been smoking VA or VaPer tobacco more than 50% of the time.

1674197900509.png

The only real color it shows is a beige hue on it, first picture is before and second is after, all made under the same light around the same time when it was still dark outside. The smooth part where it is stamped/engraved gets the most color.

Month 0.jpg

Month 1.jpg

Month 1 closeup.jpg

All in all I'm not disappointed in how this experiment runs, the pipe is great, the times smoked is not, but I'm optimistic about the frequency I smoke when it gets a bit warmer outside.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
6 weeks into this experiment now. The pipe smokes like a dream (like expected), no breaking in period, no chalky taste the first few bowls. I have been smoking 42 bowls until now, way less than I wanted to get a good color on it. I had quite a few time constraints unfortunately (not being able to smoke indoors anywhere for example), hoping to smoke a bit more when spring hits and I can set up work in the shed without being miserable all day. Not that it is cold outside for a smoke, but I work from home a lot and can't smoke in the house.

I was not a fan of smoking VaPer and some VA's in a meerschaum pipe, but somehow this pipe is different. In the below graph it shows I have been smoking VA or VaPer tobacco more than 50% of the time.

View attachment 195858

The only real color it shows is a beige hue on it, first picture is before and second is after, all made under the same light around the same time when it was still dark outside. The smooth part where it is stamped/engraved gets the most color.

View attachment 195851

View attachment 195847

View attachment 195848

All in all I'm not disappointed in how this experiment runs, the pipe is great, the times smoked is not, but I'm optimistic about the frequency I smoke when it gets a bit warmer outside.
It's got a nice hue to it! And yeah mine is starting off slow too. It'll ramp up in summer and fall!

Reactions: seanv and DanWil84

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

View attachment 195858

View attachment 195851

View attachment 195847

View attachment 195848

By the end of this you will know every nook and cranny, and the ins and outs of this pipe very well. You'll know exactly how you want it packed, and you'll know exactly what to expect every time you smoke it. It's a good feeling.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Hi guys, hope you are all well. So there is no real progression on the pipe, as I have barely smoked it. Maybe 2 or 3 times. I've been sick, slammed with work (where I can not smoke, at least not inside), family stuff has been busy.... But spring hit finally after a obnoxious wet March, I fixed a space in my shed where I can work from home and smoke a bit more, so expect some more updates. And If I had time I had a craving for a cigar, so I smoked those a bit more than my pipe. One thing I still like about this proces is I do not stress myself to smoke it even when I can't enjoy it, the pipe is still a wonderful smoker and is performing very well.