PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Uh...I seem to recall, this came up and, there's an issue about...uh...oh, never mind.
Someone here returned a meerschaum to pure white wiping it with am alcohol wipe and the one I posted above wiped away with a jeweler's cloth. Even the dark one I cut open had no coloring in the middle of the material.

This

004-653-5238.1045.jpg

versus this after the jeweler's cloth.

20221205_082711.jpg

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Here are a few pics of my Altinay that I’ve smoked almost daily for the past year.
View attachment 185375
View attachment 185376
View attachment 185378
I have one SMS short lattice billiard and one Falcon Meerschaum bowl, but I don't smoke them as much as I should because I get too concerned about handling them.
As often as I have admired your bent billiard, I've gotten the impression that you don't baby a meer. What's your protocol? Waxing, wiping with a damp cloth, washing your hands before every smoke, or just smoke the hell out of it?
Enquiring minds........etc.
Thanks,
Ross

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Welcome to the @Chasing Embers and @condorlover1 verses the world monthly meerschaum discourse. In this months edition @Chasing Embers will take one of @condorlover1 vintage meerschaums and feed it into a wood chipper to prove waxing and smoking has no impact on coloring. Meanwhile @condorlover1 will make off color observations about the different shades of turd color that can be achieved by smoking Malcolm Wobblebottoms Finest Brown Twist...

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I have one SMS short lattice billiard and one Falcon Meerschaum bowl, but I don't smoke them as much as I should because I get too concerned about handling them.
As often as I have admired your bent billiard, I've gotten the impression that you don't baby a meer. What's your protocol? Waxing, wiping with a damp cloth, washing your hands before every smoke, or just smoke the hell out of it?
Enquiring minds........etc.
Thanks,
Ross
I take this Altinay and my Tekin billiard with my everywhere. If I’m walking around the city running errands I’ve generally got a pipe in my mouth. I prefer the meerschaums because I just put them in their case when I go into a store. And when I’m done I pop them out and get things going again. There is no babying going on here.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Everyone thanks for your reply!

In the meantime the pipe has landed into the Netherlands while only picked up in Turkey yesterday morning, I think I can pick it up tonight or tommorow morning. Lightning fast!
You inspired me to contact Altinay about a possible Meer commission - we'll see how it goes. Today I got an apology for not getting back to me (not because I complained, just because it had been a couple of days since I messaged and he thought he maybe should have responded sooner) - still waiting on some answers, but at least he let me know "I am in abroad". LOL, I'm sure that's a translator thing, but my first thought was to message back whether I was "talking" to Frank Sinatra!

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
@HawkeyeLinus The bulldog I regularly post in the WAYS is a commission done by Altinay. During that proces saïd was a easy to contact via Instagram DM, about 3 weeks later the pipe was on my doorstep. I considered a commission again, but found this one in the store

I picked up the pipe yesterday, it is truly a joy to look at in the flesh. Perfectly balanced when clenching. Bowl is the perfect size for a fold and stuff flake. I'm going to enjoy this!

IMG_20221207_081813.jpg