PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
drew: I'll have to remember the "dipping in whiskey" part of you. :) If there's one thing that will stir up sh!t more than anything, it's religion....more people have died in wars over religion than any other cause. And like you referenced Rodney, " why can't we all just get along " ?

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
FYI.....Fag Hag.... Aussie Lass
Fag hag is a gay slang phrase referring to a woman who either associates mostly or exclusively with gay and bisexual men, or has gay and bisexual men as close friends. The phrase originated in gay male culture in the United States and was historically an insult.[1] Some women who associate with gay men object to being called fag hags,[citation needed] while others embrace the term. The male counterpart, for men who have similar interpersonal relationships with gay and bisexual men is fag stag, part of hag-ism, the identification of a person with a group—usually united in terms of sexuality, gender identity, or shared sex—of which he or she is not officially a member.[2] However, it must be stated that some, if not many "fag stag" "relationships" are merely the result of straight men who go to gay bars with gay men in order to "pick up" straight women, as the gay bar scene is considered to be a safe one for straight women, hence, their usual social defenses would be in a far more relaxed state than they would be if the meeting occurred in a straight singles bar. For men who have many lesbian friends the slang terms Dutch Boy, lesbro or dyke tyke apply.[3][4]

People who associate with lesbian, gay and bisexual people may be called fruit flies regardless of their sex.[5]

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Damn Mjtannen… Thanks for the education and in no way is this intended a jab at you, but to think all of these years I just called them people.
LMFAO... I thought Fag Hag meant she liked cigarettes...

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Oh man... this is gonna suck. But you pulled the Christianity string and now I am obliged to encourage and uplift my brother in the faith if he does truly confess to be as such. The scriptures tell us believers to hold one another accountable and to gently restore one another back to our kingdom if there is perceived to be a wrongdoing among us.
Please read this in it's entirety, pause, take a deep breath... and then have fun with any rebuttal or comments you feel necessary. Let's just be the ladies and gentlemen our hobby claims us to be and not be overly rash. :puffy:
Bhpdrew, you claim to be a believer, and so that's the only reason why I feel the need to comment here, otherwise I'd avoid it like a plague. I'm here to talk pipes and leaf, and I really like this forum. But you mentioned having killed others while in the US army and while I can understand why folks deem that heroic for some, and I believe that at times it can be... it is not becoming of anyone claiming to follow Jesus. Jesus said that we are to love our enemies. He said to bless those who persecute us. He said to turn our other cheek to the one who strikes us. Paul said to give our enemies a glass of cold water when they are thirsty, and in so doing heap burning coals on their head because of the surprise of being lovingly served by those who stuck us down. Paul also said many times that we are not to use weapons of the flesh but weapons of the Spirit. My point being that carnal violence is not becoming of those who profess to give their allegiance to Jesus.
And there is where the main point is I think: Those who profess Jesus are professing a citizenship in the Kingdom of God, and as such, allegiance goes to Him alone. Birthplace usually determines citizenship, and we've been born again into the Kingdom of Heaven. So we cannot be Christian and American by citizenship any more than we could be Iraqi and American... because the the Kingdom of heaven and the Kingdoms of the world are at war with one another. And Jesus also said that we cannot serve two masters.
So it is impossible to give our allegiance to Jesus and the US at the same time. Jesus said that friendship with the world is hatred towards God. Because we can't serve two masters. If so, we would hate one and love the other as Jesus stated. Which is unfair to both masters.

So if you feel the need, then pick one... but please don't continue to try and do both. because it gives both a bad name. And that is usually the biggest thing that those who aren't Christian hold against those who are... hipocracy (and think I spelled that wrong). Christians who do the opposite of what Jesus teaches. I desperately and lovingly hope you choose allegiance to Jesus, or at least think about this seriously before getting angry.
Again, this only applies to those who are Christian. I in no way am bashing those who serve the US or its military so long as they aren't christian. I think it's right and good to serve your government. And if you're American than serve the US, if Christian then serve God. I think those churches mentioned above by aussielass are absolutely ludicrous as well, and I am SO SORRY for that. That is not Christianity folks. That's a bunch of confused and angry people.
As one last point to encourage, and the one thing that really got me convinced of this, look at early Christianity. Any history will tell us that the first 300 years after Jesus, the church was completely non-violent and wouldn't even let someone in the Roman military be baptized unless they agreed to lay down their sword. Something very akin to going AWOL in the Roman culture and often worthy of execution. Believers were under heavy persecution and yet didn't retaliate but often went singing to their deaths by fire, flaying, crucifixion, beheading, or being eaten by beasts in the Colosseum as part of the Roman games. And it was said by emperors who tried to rid Rome of them that they would kill one, and ten more would rise up and confess from seeing such love and commitment displayed to their King Jesus. Sad thing is, when Constantine came into power and suddenly professed belief and legalized, and then MANDATED Christianity throughout the empire, the church fell to rubble mostly as the first "Church and State" was birthed. Those who wouldn't be baptized in the name of Rome and Jesus because they were already baptized in Jesus' name were killed or driven off to outlying Europe. And then even Martin Luther ended up killing a good lot of them off to get the Catholic church off his back and save his skin. It's a long and bloody history with most bloodshed coming from those who called themselves Christians. But the first 300 years or so is filled with amazing accounts of Christianity like most can never imagine. Their love for brother and even enemy is enough to just about move anybody who thoroughly reads their records to tears for want of such a society in the world today.
I'm not bashing anyone in any way... I love this forum and all the odd folk on it. I'm just trying to clarify some stuff and maybe help out a brother or two who might have never heard this before.
OK... I'm done. Let's talk tobacco and pipes. :puffy:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
We have a number of servicemen on this forum. Thanks to all of you.

I'm a veteran of 5 official deployments overseas.

Honestly I'm just glad you still have a sense of humor at all.. Keep it up.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
my buds in the BAOR refered to fags as ciggerets...
as did my canuck buds
my aussie buds
so, over the years it generally has taken me awhile to find out if i been insulted because i have to flip through so much different context.
in the end i fall back on... fk em if they can't take a joke.

leumas80

Lurker
Oct 30, 2011
Well said, and thank you for your service!! I have good friend who was a seal, and is forever changed for the same reasons you stated, again thank you!!

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
bhpdrew,
You say and do what ever you damn well please. I think you have earned that right. Thank you for your service and thank you for your sacrifice to defend those who can not defend them selves.
The one thing I can not stand is the "Christians" who cast judgement on all who do not believe or act in the same way as they do. How is that the christian thing to do? Aren't christian teachings about tolerance and kindness.
And this crap about "How can you serve in military and be christian?" There is this thing called FREE WILL. And those who use there free will to choose not to do christian things will take over this world unless someone is willing to stand up to them. That is where someone can be christian or any other religion and stand together against the evil in this world. And if that means joining a military a WHOPPING some A$$, then so be it. How else dose a child learn what is right and wrong?
Yes, as a christian we need to serve Jesus, but just like the guy who prays to win the lottery every day, if he doesn't buy a ticket, how can he win.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
bhpdrew
Also, after reading about your service. It makes your Avatar/Profile pic choice of the Nazi guy from Inglorious Bastard freaking hilarious.

bhpdrew

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2010
Washington State
This is the video that resulted in the email I received. ..

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS8O6qds0w0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
lol, I didn't know Slayer had a horn section (-;
Seriously though, another thank you to Andrew and the rest of us who have served, today, yesterday and in days to come.
Tolerance, understanding and respect to all, regardless their mythos of choice.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i've got a great idea: lets try and cram as much politics AND religion as we can all into one thread.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I didn't see anything about a "no religion" rule but if you guys get any more political the thread will be blown up by one of Kevin's nuclear missles he keeps in his spy pen.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
The one thing I can not stand is the "Christians" who cast judgement on all who do not believe or act in the same way as they do. How is that the christian thing to do? Aren't christian teachings about tolerance and kindness.
And this crap about "How can you serve in military and be christian?" There is this thing called FREE WILL. And those who use there free will to choose not to do christian things will take over this world unless someone is willing to stand up to them. That is where someone can be christian or any other religion and stand together against the evil in this world. And if that means joining a military a WHOPPING some A$$, then so be it. How else dose a child learn what is right and wrong?
Yes, as a christian we need to serve Jesus, but just like the guy who prays to win the lottery every day, if he doesn't buy a ticket, how can he win.
Christian teachings (or Jesus' if you will) aren't about tolerance at all. Tolerance is a new age and Buddhist teaching. Christianity teaches love. Love can hurt though often times, but that does not make it unloving or unkind. When a parent disciplines their child it can hurt... but they do it because they love that child and want it to know better. They do it to save that child from a far worse hurt down the road.
As for free will... sure we have free will. But a christian freely renounces their free will to do the Father's will. In fact Paul went so far as to say that we are "slaves of King Jesus". It's in our humility of recognizing who we are and Who we serve that makes us truly free in Jesus' love.
Jesus told his disciples how to react to oppressors... love them, respect them. In doing so we turn enemies into brothers. It's never one man's place to punish another man any more than it is for a brother to punish his own brother. That's the parent's job, not the kid's.
As far as christians in a military other than their own: I just thoroughly explained that, and getting angry and insulting isn't really helping you rebuttal any decent argument. So if you disagree, let's hear good scriptural evidence of your understanding of why christians are allowed to kill people. Because as much as I try, I just can't see how that fits into "Love your enemies". I'm not trying to judge anybody, I'm just trying to enlighten with some little known truths that have been too long ignored. :puffy:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I would love to jump into this "debate" but I don't think this thread is the best place for it. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.