One of Those Days. Old Gowrie and the Burleys.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
The beer is an IPA from a brewery on Gotland, the biggest Island of Sweden. In the mid of the Baltic sea. The home of the Medieval week, and a fav place of mine in the summer. Not normally an IPA guy, more lager, but this is fantastic.
IPA appears to be less acidic than lager, interestingly it has a similar pH to coffee. I wonder if the pairing helped make the burley notes sing. Could have even been your cadence. Either way, welcome back to the big boys club

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
It was just one of the Bur containing ones I tolerated.
I've found I tolerate DFK and Dark Kentucky much better than Light Burley. Many people love light Burley based blends, but feel Kentucky is bitter or spicy. To me, white Burley tastes like chocolatey cardboardy blunt filler, and always inflames my sinuses and leaves my throat rough. Seed companies and tobacco farmers don't even consider them to be the same variety at all. Manufacturers and marketing teams are responsible for the confusion.
Dark Kentucky and White/Yellow/Light Burley look almost as different in the field as Virginia and Basma. Taste just as different as well.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
when pets pass I always point out how short their life spans in the wild are. Ferals live about 2 years on average and not much longer. So in a way every two years you spent with the little buddy was a lifetime for them.
Oh and that smoke where everything comes together and it's a truly blissful smoke that is what I call a zen smoke. They just kind of happen, can't make them happen. All you can do is try to make each smoke conducive towards a natural and enjoyable smoke and hope the sun and wind are on your side that day.:)

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I was thinking the other day about how our recollections of "the good ole days", the way music, movies, pipe tobaccos etc., is "not what it used to be" is because our subjective notions of such are based primarily on the emotions and memories that were formed around the time we consumed them rather then their objective qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.