One of Those Days. Old Gowrie and the Burleys.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
In my about two years of pipe smoking (excluding the time in my twenties when Greve Hamilton and I accompanied each other), I've had this rather complicated relationship with Burley tobaccos.
From the beginning, I was waltzing around with all sorts of blends, enjoying them all in the same amount; English, Virginias, Va/Pers, Burleys, etc.
Then I got my hands on the venerable Haunted Bookshop and everything changed. I hated the Bookshop. I tried several bowls. I jarred it for a year, tried again. Awful.
That would have of course been ok, but for the fact that it tainted my other Burleys. I started to dislike them as well. And my stash of Burley blends was being pushed further and further to the back of the shelf, ending up in the dusty bottom of my cellar.

Three blends still worked for me; Makhuwa, Silver Flake and Old Gowrie, though I mostly went for something else instead.

Recently our fantastic and super kind dog Jade had to be sent to the afterlife, so this morning when the sun was out (finally... Sweden after all) I took the car and a pipe stuffed with Old Gowrie and drove to one of my favourite place where I and the dog used to hang out. I also brought one of my favourite beers.

The smoke was fantastic. You know one of those special ones where all just fits; the smoke, the feeling, the sounds, the everything. And I really felt it was the Burley in Old Gowrie that gave me all it had, like on purpose.
So back at the office, I prepped another Old G in the pipe. Lunchtime. Balcony. Another Super Smoke.
The Bur.

So I went for it. I took out the Bookshop. I felt brave. No hesitation. I was to tame this beast.

I can't say it was a very good smoke at all. But it wasn't horrible anymore. It was actually pretty decent. And perhaps, perhaps I can find my way back to the Burleys again. I'll just go back to that special spot in nature sometimes with a Bur Blend.

So Thank You Old Gowrie for urging me to open that big iron gate to Burleyland again. And Thank You my beloved Jade for the map.

In Pic: Old French artisan pipe, Old Gowrie, Old tree trunk and the fine memories of our Old dog.

Attachments

• IMG_20210326_114936_resized_20210326_024909624.jpg
    IMG_20210326_114936_resized_20210326_024909624.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 17

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Thanks for sharing and so sorry for your loss. It sounds like a great way to reconnect on a bunch of levels.

The thing is - there a burlies and there are burlies. There’s not much out there like the heavy, heady C&D burlies. I lifted this quote from the opening line of JimInks review on TR:

“You'd better like nutty, earthy, dry, woody, unflavored bold burley with a few rough edges and hint of spice, or you won't like this even a little bit.”

I haven’t smoked Haunted Bookshop in awhile but I remember it taking several bowls to get into, and then I couldn’t put it down! I think a lot of burley forward blends are like that for me. On the other side, I really like burley in my VA blends, like Ole Gowerie, GH Flakes and Peterson Flakes.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Old Gowrie has very little burley, and what is there condimentaly is Dark Kentucky and not common white/light burley. Probably the least burley out of the Rattray's VaPerKy group it gets lumped in with, Brown Clunee and Marlin Flake. It has *LOTS* of dark brown empire VA, so I can see why some might think it tastes like there's a good bit of burley.
The original version was a straight VA, and no one even knew k&k began mixing in other varietals to substitute for no longer available barrel aged, fermented Virginias until a few years ago.
I generally don't care for burley based blends, absolutely hate Haunted Bookshop, but loved OG from the first light.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I wouldn't consider OG burley dominated at all, mostly straight VA with a little kiss of DF. It took me a long while to come around to burley dominated blends, but I have been enjoying them more and more of late. Haunted Bookshop is nothing mind blowing, but I do enjoy it's simplicity, with just enough complexity to keep me paying attention.

I found that easing into burley via blends that are also thick with VAs helped me appreciate it that much more. CD Briar Fox and Esoterica Tilbury were blends that really got me started.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Nice write-up. Sorry to hear about Jade.

I’ve never been a burly fan. I don’t mind a bit in my Virginia blends to add volume to the smoke. I’d say I tolerate burly, but don’t seek it out.

Reactions: ofafeather

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
Beautiful pic bro.

What beer were you drinking? I’ve really noticed that my enjoyment of quite different blends is impacted by the base pH level of my mouth
The beer is an IPA from a brewery on Gotland, the biggest Island of Sweden. In the mid of the Baltic sea. The home of the Medieval week, and a fav place of mine in the summer. Not normally an IPA guy, more lager, but this is fantastic.

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
I
I wouldn't consider OG burley dominated at all, mostly straight VA with a little kiss of DF. It took me a long while to come around to burley dominated blends, but I have been enjoying them more and more of late. Haunted Bookshop is nothing mind blowing, but I do enjoy it's simplicity, with just enough complexity to keep me paying attention.

I found that easing into burley via blends that are also thick with VAs helped me appreciate it that much more. CD Briar Fox and Esoterica Tilbury were blends that really got me started.
I never felt OG was Burley dominated in the least. It was just one of the Bur containing ones I tolerated. However, today it was the the hint of burley I caught, isolated and enjoyed. That was the interesting part that made me want to see if THAT specific enjoyment could make me tolerate Haunted Bookshop. And it seems it did. At least today.

Last edited:

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
Old Gowrie is the opposite of burley to me...
Well, all to their own taste, but I would guess an opposite would at least contain no Burley at all?

For all; I should of course have written ”Burley Containing” blend, since a lot of you now think OG is a ”Burley Heavy” blend. American style.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.