PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I’ve been losing friends lately. It hurts. It hurts a lot. God has taken them much too soon. Mid 60’s with much of life still to live. Their passing has left a huge hole in my heart.
I cherish my friendships, even more as I become older. And understand, that it makes no difference to me what kind of a lifestyle you choose to live, if we are friends, then on my end, you remain a friend for life.
One of my all time great movies is “The Shawshank Redemption“. In that movie, Morgan Freeman played the part of a longtime inmate. He makes a statement to other inmates about an old timer who was paroled after spending 50 years in prison. The old guy was depressed because he was paroled. He didn’t want leave the joint. So Freeman says to the other inmates. “He doesn’t want to leave because he’s been institutionalized.” Meaning, the old timer had become accustomed to prison life. Everything he wanted or needed was provided to him by that prison. That statement never meant much to me, until last night.
I have a few school friends who spent most of their adult lives in prison. Last night, one of them called me for help with a situation. And then he began to sob like a little baby. I was shocked and saddened to hear him this way.
I never condoned how Louie lived his life. But we were and still are great friends.
Louie “The Lip” was a person you never wanted to mess with. When we were in HS, I watched him beat a high school football player so bad that three of the kids teeth were lying on the ground. It took four of us to pull Louie off the guy. Another time I watched Louie beat up 2 kids at a dodge ball game. In later years crime became his passion, and prison was his home.
On the phone the Lip told me he wanted to die. He told me he was so depressed he could not leave the house. He lost his energy and his desire to be with his kids and grandkids. I said to him. “Louie, you spent all those years in prison, weren’t you depressed then? You must have had a way to deal with that?” His answer was. “Cheech. I was happier in the joint. This is worse than being in prison.” When he told me that, Morgan Freeman’s words, “he’s been institutionalized,” now made sense to me.
Louie told me that “in the joint, I had everything I needed. Now, I can’t pay my bills. I have no job. I cancelled TV, and computer access because I can’t afford it, and I can’t go out to eat. I’m a slave to my damn house.”
Yup, in the joint, Louie “The Lip” had it made. But now, with a home, friends and family all around him, Louie is suicidal.
Before I hung up I told Louie that he needed to see a Doctor. But proud, hard core, Italians don’t want to hear that shit. So I fear now that if Louie does anything, it will be to commit a crime so that he can get back to the joint, where he can start living again. Or worse yet, take his own life.
I don’t want to lose another friend.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Then get him to some help. Or, get some help to him! He called out to you, don't let him down. If you are miles away then phone the closest mental health assistance to him. As a last resort call the police.
Question: Do you know for sure that his family is indeed aware of his condition?
Edit: He's put a heavy burden on you. Shoulder it and do what you are capable of.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
That is very sad to hear indianafrank. I hope your friend finds what he needs to keep on living. Sounds like he needs good friends around him now more than ever.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Joblessness is mentally devastating and can ruin one's quality of life. I hope things improve for your friend, Frank.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Indianafrank, I once knew a person that made an attempt on their life due to a few issues. Each person will react differently, go over hang out with him let him know you are there if you are able. Stress to him how much he means to his kids and grandkids. I'm not sure what else to say other than that and what others have already stated. Good luck and hope his life gets straighten out.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Pfft, if he hadn't made "crime his passion" then his life might not be so screwed up. This is his fault and he deserves zero sympathy.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Ouch. Some harsh words there, Torque.
That's true sparks, I could have exercised more tact than I did. I stand by my point, but was certainly too harshly put.

Jan 8, 2013
Newbie and Torque, your comments were way out of line. Seems to me Indy needed to get something off his chest. I don't think he needed the negative comments in return. When two people are friends as long they are, it's not just friends anymore. It's more like brothers. We might not condone Louie's life choices, but we all make mistakes in life.
Indy, all I can tell you is find a way to help him. Do what you can. But if something negative does indeed happen, it's not on you.

Dec 24, 2012
Remind me to tell you about the time when I still worked for US Customs Service and Peck was caught smuggling more tobacco than the allowed amount. He weighed about 50 pounds less in those days, too.
You have the wrong guy Gig. I did here from a source, however, that you were let go from US Customs because you suffered from erectile dysfunction.
But then, in light of your preferred method for conducting a cavity search, they really had no choice.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Sorry Anthony but I respectfully have to disagree. "Harshly put" I'll own, but "way out of line"? No, I don't think so. The OPs friend, by the OPs own account, is a career criminal. The old Biblical adage that "you reap what you sow" is a truism. I have plenty of sympathy for those that bust their hump trying to make an honest living and still struggle. I know tons of folks in that predicament. I just can't feel sorry for serial criminals. They make their choices and have to live with them the same as anyone else.

Dec 24, 2012
Peck, I was not an inspector and Customs is much more professional and competent than you infer; most smugglers are caught without cavity searches while most lawyers are intimately familiar with them, especially when sending the final bills to clients. I proudly spend my federal pension on pipes and tobaccos. Social Security is for living expenses.
Hey Gig, nothing wrong with getting a fat federal pension. Obama loves you!
By the way, did you ever have to pick sweetcorn out of your teeth after you conducted one of your award-winning (albeit procedurally unorthodox) cavity searches?

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Sorry Anthony but I respectfully have to disagree. "Harshly put" I'll own, but "way out of line"? No, I don't think so. The OPs friend, by the OPs own account, is a career criminal. The old Biblical adage that "you reap what you sow" is a truism. I have plenty of sympathy for those that bust their hump trying to make an honest living and still struggle. I know tons of folks in that predicament. I just can't feel sorry for serial criminals. They make their choices and have to live with them the same as anyone else.
My late father was a career police officer. 15 years or so ago we were home in Indiana for Christmas and my dad and I ran into a really tough looking hombre at the local convenience store. The guy was very friendly to us and told my dad that he was staying out of trouble, had a job, etc. My dad told him he was proud of him and to keep it up. When we left I asked my dad who he was and he said he was Tommie *******. My jaw about hit the ground because the guy was a really bad guy and notorious criminal (from a family of criminals) that my dad and one of his detectives (my dad retired as Chief of Detectives) had put into the Indiana State Prison for a long time as a habitual criminal in the early 80s for 3 violent felonies (Indiana had 3 strikes and you're out).
I had never known the guy but I sure remembered the conversations my parents and my dad and his coworkers had about him when I was young. My dad said prison had changed him and he was trying to be a good guy. Many years later, Tommie still lives in my hometown, has stayed out of trouble, and even rescued a person from drowning a few years ago. People can change.

Dec 24, 2012
Gig, of course I humbly defer to your knowledge and experience in the realms of colonoscopies, butt plugs and buggery.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Gig, of course I humbly defer to your knowledge and experience in the realms of colonoscopies, butt plugs and buggery. - Peck/hombre
Dadgummit, there went another pipe full of ashes all over my keyboard. You're on a roll tonight, Peck! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.