Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
So I dove right into pipe smoking when I started. Still all over it, still love it but... I went overboard on TAD FOMO. I recently posted a few tins for sale, tins that I just wanted to move/clear out space. However, after taking stock of my cellar and what I mainly smoke, I feel like I should try and sell a lot more of it.

I've found that I enjoy blends from C&D and G.L. Pease 3 to 1 over everything else, mostly European make. Also since I can get those blends almost always at the ready, it seems like I should let go of some of this other, good, high quality, sold out online stuff, and just stick to my guns.

I'd keep a few blends in the cellar that I have really really enjoyed but some of those catalog completing purchases or some B&M snags that I got because of reputation, I should let go.

SO I am asking the community have you gone through this? Should I just chill? Just seeing if anyone else has had this come up and how they handled it.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So I dove right into pipe smoking when I started. Still all over it, still love it but... I went overboard on TAD FOMO. I recently posted a few tins for sale, tins that I just wanted to move/clear out space. However, after taking stock of my cellar and what I mainly smoke, I feel like I should try and sell a lot more of it.

I've found that I enjoy blends from C&D and G.L. Pease 3 to 1 over everything else, mostly European make. Also since I can get those blends almost always at the ready, it seems like I should let go of some of this other, good, high quality, sold out online stuff, and just stick to my guns.

I'd keep a few blends in the cellar that I have really really enjoyed but some of those catalog completing purchases or some B&M snags that I got because of reputation, I should let go.

SO I am asking the community have you gone through this? Should I just chill? Just seeing if anyone else has had this come up and how they handled it.

Thanks!
It took me a few years to figure out what I like, and in that time I bought many different blends.

Now I don't explore past burley, and barely ever think of anything other than C&D.

Reactions: Oddball

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I didn’t really build up a cellar until I’d smoked for years, so what I’ve collected is what I enjoy smoking.
There’s enough variety to keep me interested when a particular blend loses its appeal.

In some respects I wish that I had started cellaring earlier when the quality available was better, but it is what it is, and happy with what I have.

When starting out just try out different blends to get a sense of what you enjoy. And be prepared to change what it is that you enjoy. The stuff you dump today may be the stuff you crave tomorrow.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Two and a half years in and I believe I am just starting to ask similar questions. Am I ever going to like this blend? It tastes unnatural like diet soda, will I one day love this? How did I buy so much? Sell it, sit on it, or give it away?

As of right now I am handling it by looking at it and saying “What in the hell did I do?” 😆

I have tapered off of the “buy everything and try everything” phase but curiosity dictates that I have more blends I want to try. I do believe I have found enough to be happy, even if I never tried another, so that is a blessing. Like you, they are mostly C&D produced. Now how I proceed with my cellar, i don’t know yet. I’m thinking try the blends I have left on my wish list and go from there.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I wouldn't sweat any of it. Hold, sell, buy more- It will all even out over time.
good luck!
I agree with this^^
My cellar is a lot broader than it is deep. This is mainly because I’ve only been smoking a pipe for a few years. Initially I bought all sorts of tobacco to try to figure out what I really like. Now that I have a better handle on what I like best I wish I had purchased larger quantities of a few blends. That said I’m not planning to off load anything- I’m just going to start amassing more of what I know I like. The stuff I don’t “love” provides a change of pace when I want it. The small batch and discontinued stuff I have makes for good SS gifts and can always be sold or traded if necessary or when an opportunity arises.

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I am at the point where I know what I like and have focused on moving things out that I will not smoke. If I cannot sell it, I put it in my compost. Easy way to manage the cellar and not hold onto blends that will never see the bottom of my pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Didn't start cellaring until about 10 years in when a favorite blend was discontinued in the early 2000s and have never put back alot of a blend until I smoked it. The popularity of a blend never attracted my attention as I focus more on a blend's contents and I've not sold anything.

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com

Thanks!
I think it's a good idea to sell a coupl you know you don't like, But sit on a majority of them. And set a date, If you haven't smoked them in five years or ten years, Or whatever you decide, List them then, they'll be worth more and by then I imagine you'll have a set rotation.

If there are some, you've sellered that, you're not sure you like because you haven't tried them, Work out a couple sample trades to see if maybe it's worth holding on to those, I've been trying to do that for a couple blends. Because I did the same thing a few times.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I don't know if I was cellaring or not. I had about a 100 or so around me. When I finally decided to cellar some things. I decided to cellar deep not wide. Now I only cellar three tobaccos (Six Pence, Stonehenge and Mad Fiddler) and I have another three (Rustica, Windjammer and Westminster) that I have in much more modest amounts. I have kept this for 10 or 12 years, I think I have enough stuff to see me through to the end,

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
It’s only worth cash if you can find a buyer.
If you don’t like it, without a buyer, it’s dried leaves in a can.
Sell it while you can if it’s dead weight to you.

Reactions: anotherbob

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I have about 65 different blends, 95% VA / VaPer so at least I'm narrowed down in that respect, I think most people go through this and the "if i only knew then what i knew now" I've sold off most of my pipes just holding on to a few that are more collectable to me and my peers which is what i smoke out of, the tobacco... well as someone or many someones here have said it's never going to be cheaper than today, so i just keep holding on to it, i don't need the money so it's just sitting so if i ever do need money it's there.

All of those blends and I smoke CRF with and without Perique 99.999999999999% of the time and thankfully I have plenty of it. The pounds and pounds of Brown Flake and 400 and this and that can just sit and keep aging.

Reactions: jaingorenard