PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
cyndy don't forget the unscrupulous companies that produced "milk" that was 85% water and powdered chalk, aiding those mothers and babies along to their graves.
i think it's a grand review. amusing and insightful, if not laughable, at least it points to the real reason people laugh; we laugh because it hurts.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I like the idea...just not the execution. You should really have a point when doing this kind of thing (ie, yes, spout your "humor" but give us a damn review while you're doing it). And make sure you actually know what you're doing/saying before you do a satirical, historical rant. Anybody read "A Modest Proposal" in high school? I think that's kinda the direction he was trying to go but failed at pulling it off.

PS If you've never read it then do so now :D It's short and awesome.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I once read a negative review on TR.com on Boswell's Best tobacco that referred to the Boswell family as a "bunch of guffawing yokels". I would be willing to bet that this individual never talked to any of the Boswells or had any dealings with them and I'll admit I was pretty angry at him for his slander of a fine family. I've dealt with the Boswells and smoked their tobaccos for many years and they have been some of the nicest people I've ever dealt with. He also denigrated their pipes and I'll bet he never owned one of them, either. I've owned three Boswells and they all smoked like champs.
I read that 1792 review and had to wonder what chemicals the individual who wrote it was on when he launched his tirade. They do get some bizarre things on there.
Smokey

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Lots of things come to mind, but I won't say them, rather, I will say .... a seemingly mildly educated jerk!
Whoever said about the sheep, the saying goes ... "When men were men, and the sheep were nervous!"

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I prefer this:

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

:D

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
Eh, doesn't seem like such a big deal. A real review would have helped. Throwing it in at the end would have been funny, at least to me. I don't see what the big deal with it is, otherwise. 8)

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I've seen this brought up on another forum a while back, and all I can say is I'm glad smoking 1792 doesn't take me to the same place it does him.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Whilst his review it pure, unadulterated shit, I did derive a huge amount of enjoyment from reading Benjamin Franklin's letter to a young man about finding a mistress - can be verified via wiki, google etc:
http://faculty.sanjuancollege.edu/krobison/documents/Franklin-ChoosingMistress.htm
If only ALL polititians worldwide today were so forthright and blunt instead of all their cloak and daggers BS'ing, the miserable, mealy mouthed b's!!!!!

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Ben was an amazing guy all around. Proud to be from the country he helped found. As for how I feel about being from the same country as some (or most) of our current politicians...that's a whole other thread I think :D

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
What a bunch of junk. I can't imagine wasting that much time typing up such garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.