PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Some fascinating pole jump. Good looking Korean shooter. Nice Turkish shooter who looked like weekend wet boy. American Female Gymnastics. Fencing as always.

Reactions: JOHN72

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Gabby is such a treat for the eyes and spirit.

Due to my GF's wishes, we watched the women's skateboarding comp. Well, kids, really. A 13 year old, many at 15. The old lady was 20.

What was most impressive was the girls were constantly smiling and laughing, and being supportive of each other.

Reactions: JOHN72

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Least watched event?

• I ran across kite boarding on Peacock. Mad skills to run those boards at 30 mph, but very hard to follow.

• Synchronized swimming. Can't stand to watch it, but GF loved it.

• Weight lifting. A big pass for me, but perhaps many like it.

Could go on, but what are your takes?

And what might be the most watched?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My favorites: Track & Field, Gymnastics, Basketball (not 3 x 3, skill level was abysmal), Wrestling, Volleyball beach and indoor, Soccer, Swimming, Rugby and Golf. I couldn't get into field hockey at all. Haven't watched one second of women's basketball.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I knew you were an all round sportsman!

Bet you didn't watch synchronized swimming!
I would have watched synchronized swimming had it been on at the right time. Just finished the men's USA vs Serbia basketball. Wow!!! One of the most exciting games I've ever watched. I felt genuine sympathy for the Serbian team, they played their hearts out.

Reactions: newbroom

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
Title edited for caps. Follow the damn rules, you moron!

This thread is meant to allow for comments on what you liked, what you'll watch coming up.

And criticism or questions on why x, y or z was done the way it was. Excepting gender comments!
I've enjoy many of the Olympic events. My favorites have been the swimming and diving, water polo, track & field, road race cycling, and weigh lifting events. One of the extras, viewing wise, for the road cycling event was getting to see some of the French country side, chateauxes, and churches along the 169 mile/273 kilometer route. The weight lifting is always interesting especially for the smaller weight class athletes from smaller less renowned countries. These athletes are amazing as to how much weight they are able to lift and how charismatic and proud they are representing their homeland.

I was able to attend 10 days of the 1996 Summer Olympics and that vacation remains in the top 3 of all vacations I have ever taken. I would encourage anyone to try going to future Olympic Games. They are an amazing experience from the caliber of the competition, to the camaraderie of the athletes, as well as the experience of attending the games with folks from all over the world.

Should one have a desire to go to future Olympic games, you should start your planning really early. In 1996, I had to order and pay for the event tickets a whole year in advance, as well as reserving hotel or condo accommodations a year in advance! I attended 2 to 3 events each day for the 10 days I was there and event tickets were pricey. If you were to choose attending 2 to 3 events per day, understand that you will have very little time available for sightseeing. So, if you also desire to do a good bit of sight seeing in the host city, then plan on adding extra days on your trip before the games begin or after they conclude for your sightseeing.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
Katy Ledecky was the most dominant in her event we'll probably ever see. The 1500 freestyle. I try to watch what I can on pirated streams (likely of Russian origin!) and have caught a few of the basketball games of both genders.
I was rooting for Serbia yesterday, I gotta admit. I love the game and they were taking it to the wealthy pros from the USA. Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Joel Embid, Derek White, Jrue Holiday, and of course LeBron, just kept making the play in the 4th quarter and overcame a point differential that seemed insurmountable if you were watching the game. Curry's 9/14 3 pointers and various attention grabbing movements were instrumental in their huge comeback win.
Aja Wilson and Brianna Stewart along with Jackie Joyner and the big broad, Brittany Griner are difficult for other teams to compete against, but, all these games offer intense competition.
I am hoping that my pirated stream works this afternoon for the Gold medal game in men's bb.

Is it time for the Olympics? Ahhh, oh well. I only enjoy sports as a participant. I have never been very good a spectator. Maybe if something interesting or funny would happen every now and then, but no, they tend to be about as boring as golf.
I can dig some beach chicks' volleyball, as long as the uniforms are as small as possible.

Reactions: PaulRVA