PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've smoked a fair amount of senile, decrepit, nauseating, zombie vomit, ghastly, venerable vintages between 40 and 100 years of age. Like everything else on this good earth, tobacco matures, peaks, fades, and dies. There is the occasional fabulous smoke where the blend has pretty much held at or near its peak. But for the most part, these tobaccos have seen much better days, having faded to become wraiths of their former selves, or devolved into some really nasty tasting crap.

As a collector's object, the 18th hemp wound sailors tobacco makes for a unique artifact that presents an interesting story. But smoking it would be a waste of time, not to mention money. Still, there are plenty who would happily satisfy their curiosity before doubling over with extreme nausea and/or possibly being rushed to Emergency.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
One of the founders of American Spirit found some rustica in an ancient dig, and is the one accredited with bringing back the rustica strain.
Our museum here has some pottery with tobacco still in it.
But, I’m pretty sure obtaining some of these “oldest” tobaccos would be costly and probably very disappointing to smoke.

I’ve had the honor of trying a few 50+ year old commercial blends that weren’t really all that great. But, it was neat to find that older blends were much stronger in nicotine.
It’s probably safe to say that 20 years is about the peak for tobacco aging. After that, and it’s past it’s prime.
I guess C & D cellar series(?) is shooting for just the right amount of time to cellar, not too long, not too short.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I guess C & D cellar series(?) is shooting for just the right amount of time to cellar, not too long, not too short.
I think the cellar series is just a gimmick. It takes the responsibility for providing to the consumer tobacco blends at their optimal condition for smoking, which is how the quality blenders operated, and put it on the consumer to do the aging. The blender doesn't have to babysit their blends for years under ideal aging conditions while tying up their money. He can push out "green" blends at full price, and market on the back of the cellaring craze.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Sealed 'cutter top' tins from the 1930s tend to be interesting but they fade very quickly after opening unless sealed in a jar and then consumed. I smoked a 1910 'cutter top' tin with Papipe the other year that was truly amazing, fresh, enjoyable and cube cut strangely enough. I have a bunch of 'cutter tops' that I must get around to offering for sale from the 1940/50s one of these days since they are not blends I will ever smoke. Are they worth the money? I wouldn't pay a lot for them, although the Chinese buyers go crazy over them according to Pipe Studd. Each to his own I guess.

Reactions: Cotton1

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Sealed 'cutter top' tins from the 1930s tend to be interesting but they fade very quickly after opening unless sealed in a jar and then consumed. I smoked a 1910 'cutter top' tin with Papipe the other year that was truly amazing, fresh, enjoyable and cube cut strangely enough. I have a bunch of 'cutter tops' that I must get around to offering for sale from the 1940/50s one of these days since they are not blends I will ever smoke. Are they worth the money? I wouldn't pay a lot for them, although the Chinese buyers go crazy over them according to Pipe Studd. Each to his own I guess.
Keep me in mind if you decide to sell a few of those please.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
There are several tobacco museums around the world, and I imagine one might be a contender.

For example:
Netherlands

Belgium

Japan

Anecdotally, doubtfully the oldest, but neat to think about:
I was once told about a ship that had a framed carotte of tobacco in the bridge.

Also, once, a 90 year oldish woman knocked on my door to talk about my tobacco plants, and she recounted that fact that her grandpa grew tobacco and told me that she had some of it hung in her home as a reminder of him.

And, Old Morris, the oldest tobacconist in Canada in Victoria reportedly has cigars from the day they opened.

Reactions: Cotton1

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
FDA and the WHO are wrong about tobacco. Yes, it may kill you but it would seem that everyone should be free to choose the manner of their dying. Of course in this one should be prepared to be overruled by a confluence of unforeseen events or the whim of transcendent Being.

Life is far from easy. If one chooses to manage this difficulty by tobacco addiction and thereby freely chooses to perhaps live less well or less long, who is to say that what is lost is not overbalanced by the joy of smoking?

Who knows, and how is it that you feel you are empowered to make decisions for me?

Kilgore Trout

Nov 5, 2019
FDA and the WHO are wrong about tobacco.

Meanwhile, they're A-Ok with every fast food franchise and soda brand pushing their fatty, salty, preservative laden, sugary garbage "food" anywhere they want to anyone they want... particularly children.

I guess obesity, heart disease, and diabetes are fine if there's enough money for the bribes... I mean lobbying.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
FDA and the WHO are wrong about tobacco. Yes, it may kill you but it would seem that everyone should be free to choose the manner of their dying. Of course in this one should be prepared to be overruled by a confluence of unforeseen events or the whim of transcendent Being.

Life is far from easy. If one chooses to manage this difficulty by tobacco addiction and thereby freely chooses to perhaps live less well or less long, who is to say that what is lost is not overbalanced by the joy of smoking?

Who knows, and how is it that you feel you are empowered to make decisions for me?
I agree, and taking this argument to it's logical next step, should add that anyone who becomes ill from tobacco use should not receive any kind of medical assistance that they cannot cover out of pocket. No medical insurance coverage at all. No cost or burden to others based on our choices.

A large part of what's been driving the anti smoking movement has been the costs associated with smoking, about 30 to 40 billion dollars annually. By removing any underwritten costs, such as medical insurance, that number gets reduced significantly. Making smoking as a firing offense should cover the enormous labor cost. Now you are truly free to practice freedom of choice without interference from the smoke Nazis.

If you disagree with this then you are arguing that the state, or society, does have a right to make demands since they are also being required to cover the economic ripple effects of smoking.

Kilgore Trout

Nov 5, 2019
I agree, and taking this argument to it's logical next step, should add that anyone who becomes ill from tobacco use should not receive any kind of medical assistance that they cannot cover out of pocket. No medical insurance coverage at all. No cost or burden to others based on our choices.

A large part of what's been driving the anti smoking movement has been the costs associated with smoking, about 30 to 40 billion dollars annually. By removing any underwritten costs, such as medical insurance, that number gets reduced significantly. Making smoking as a firing offense should cover the enormous labor cost. Now you are truly free to practice freedom of choice without interference from the smoke Nazis.

If you disagree with this then you are arguing that the state, or society, does have a right to make demands since they are also being required to cover the economic ripple effects of smoking.

I hear what you're saying, but more people die as a result of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes which are a direct result of poor dietary choices and obesity. Should we also withhold medical assistance to anyone who eats McDonald's, Wendy's, or Taco Bell, or pizza, or drinks Coke, or eats Oreos, or ice cream? How about being sedentary, should we not offer heath assistance to those who don't log 10k steps a day? Personal liberty is messy, and often distasteful, but the alternative is way worse.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.