PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
At the recommendation of the Cottage Piper on YouTube (he’s an interesting college professor), I ordered a few ounces of Old Toby blend from The Country Squire in Mississippi. Oh my, what a treat. It was literally delicious from the true light to the end of the bowl- an aromatic without any bite and several detectable flavors. I smoked it in my most reliable and consistent pipe- the 6” Savinelli Miele (honey) 111 KS (king size).

Attachments

• IMG_8883.jpeg
    IMG_8883.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've smoked a number of blends from The Country Squire and they have all been good. Jon David Cole, the owner, has created a lot of great blends. I'm just surprised that none of the big tobacco companies have convinced him to follow the path of the Seattle Pipe Club.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Another fan of Old Toby here.
In fact, all The Country Squire blends I've tried have been really good.
Their Figgy Pudding is a must-try.
Tres Leches & White Rose are blends I rarely see mentioned & are delicious!

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I really like Old Toby, and most of the Country Squire house blends I've tried. I think Old Toby is one of the best aromatics I've tried, it burns surprisingly well for how wet and sticky it comes. I also really like their Bag End, it's probably in my top 5 blends.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
It took me a while, but the TCS blends have finally started to grow on me. I have found that most of them really shine when you add a lot of heat. My favorites so far are Second Breakfast, Green Dragon, and PS Blend.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
Peterson31— I agree that The Country Squire’s Second Breakfast is a real treat. I also enjoy their Bill’s Blend which is worth trying with a 2oz order.

Pappymac & Elric- I also hope to see Old Toby in a tin someday, just as long as TCS keeps selling in bulk. I just ordered another 1/2 pound of Old Toby this evening. A little hoarding of that blend is a pardonable vice, I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyxelsid

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
I enjoyed Old Toby, but I preferred Blue Ribbon and White Rose from their aromatic line. LeFleur’s Bluff was quite good, and I’m looking forward to trying their anniversary blend that I got a tin of. Haven’t yet tried Ruins of Windsor, but I have it in a jar… that one hasn’t gotten quite the same positive reviews as so many other blends of theirs, but I’ll give it a go and decide for myself at some point in the future.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I enjoyed Old Toby, but I preferred Blue Ribbon and White Rose from their aromatic line. LeFleur’s Bluff was quite good, and I’m looking forward to trying their anniversary blend that I got a tin of. Haven’t yet tried Ruins of Windsor, but I have it in a jar… that one hasn’t gotten quite the same positive reviews as so many other blends of theirs, but I’ll give it a go and decide for myself at some point in the future.
I really like the Ruins of Windsor, I have a half lb getting some age in jars. It's great fresh but I suspect it will be better with year or so on it.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Old Toby very well might be my new favorite blend. All of the others that I've tried from The Country Squire have been exceptional. Some other favorites are Bag End, Second Breakfast, and a non-Middle Earth aromatic called Delta Honeydew.

KBaz

Lurker
Dec 19, 2020
Enjoy foggy pudding and second breakfast - but I love old toby.

Also enjoy the pipe cottage.

It was asked if they ship overseas - I know they ship Internationally to Canada so it’s probably worth an inquiry.

Sep 6, 2023
Old Toby is my favorite blend. I haven't found anything that I haven’t been impressed with so far from The Country Squire.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
I went on-line to The Country Squire to buy another 1/2 pound of Old Toby, but I could not find it on their website. I sent them a query, and this was the response earlier today:

Unfortunately, our Middle Earth series is on hold due to licensing issues. They will be back up next week but will be rebranded with new names. Thank you for your patience and understanding.”

Ugh. i hope my favorite aromatic comes back unchanged. I hereby offer TCS my name for the rebranded version of Old Toby—Old Mike has a nice ring to it.