PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Sasieni ads with Town Names started to appear in the fall of 1923. I have a copy of their 1924 Catalog and it uses town names.

The Pipedia article is a reprint of Steve Smith's Sasieni article, A Murder Of Ravens, which was the 'go to" Sasieni article 10 years ago. It's very out of date.
I was.diggimg through old Sasieni posts and came across this one. I learned some new things, and thank you! You seem to have more accurate and up to date information on Sasieni pipes, especially dates. I wonder if I could trouble you to share your knowledge with me, either by PM or email? You know how much I love Sasieni pipes and I would really like to have the correct history. The information just isn't out there... I look long and hard!

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was.diggimg through old Sasieni posts and came across this one. I learned some new things, and thank you! You seem to have more accurate and up to date information on Sasieni pipes, especially dates. I wonder if I could trouble you to share your knowledge with me, either by PM or email? You know how much I love Sasieni pipes and I would really like to have the correct history. The information just isn't out there... I look long and hard!
I'm happy to share with you what I can. I'm not a Sasieni expert by any means. But I do have a number of catalogs and that helps a bit.

J

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I'm happy to share with you what I can. I'm not a Sasieni expert by any means. But I do have a number of catalogs and that helps a bit.

J
Sable, what’s your take on current Sasieni offerings? I have never encountered one in the wild. Not a single new or estate pipe from this maker been on offer at any pipe shop I’ve visited. Just curious what you think of the modern ones, and/or compared to the older versions.

I recall a comment from an estate pipe vendor awhile back suggesting there might be issues with bogus dots and misinformation about them but it wasn’t something I was paying attention to at the time so it went in one ear and out the other.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable, what’s your take on current Sasieni offerings? I have never encountered one in the wild. Not a single new or estate pipe from this maker been on offer at any pipe shop I’ve visited. Just curious what you think of the modern ones, and/or compared to the older versions.

I recall a comment from an estate pipe vendor awhile back suggesting there might be issues with bogus dots and misinformation about them but it wasn’t something I was paying attention to at the time so it went in one ear and out the other.
I haven’t smoked any of the current products so I can’t offer an opinion.
I have seen some suspicious looking one dots and eight dots, and there was an eight dot reissue that’s occasionally been touted as a vintage piece. The “specially selected” reissues are a marketing gimmick. Joel Sasieni had been dead for about 30 years before those came along.
You need to know the nomenclature to avoid getting fooled.
But generally these pipes are not high priced enough to be a focus for faking on a wide scale.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I haven’t smoked any of the current products so I can’t offer an opinion.
I have seen some suspicious looking one dots and eight dots, and there was an eight dot reissue that’s occasionally been touted as a vintage piece. The “specially selected” reissues are a marketing gimmick. Joel Sasieni had been dead for about 30 years before those came along.
You need to know the nomenclature to avoid getting fooled.
But generally these pipes are not high priced enough to be a focus for faking on a wide scale.
Good to know, thank you for that. This marque just hasn’t been on my radar in any significant way. So many other ... ooh, squirrel!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.