PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Here is an old 1923 advertisement from Vanity Fair for Sasieni Pipes.
What is interesting to me is that the pipe in this advertisement has four dots on the top of the stem and carries a name for the shape “Temple Bar”. According to some accounts the town names didn’t come until later but this would suggest different.AB89214C-CE44-4B58-9A93-E9A59B262FC0.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think they still make a good pipe; Iwan Ries has a half page of new ones in its 2020 catalog, 40% off, limited quantity, surely all gone by now, some less than $100.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
It also eludes to the oil cure process that Joseph Sasieni patented in 1919. “Cured of all sap and oil”.
in his patent he says “...to extract all oil and sap...” after he just talked about “...perfect Incorporation of oil to...thoroughly season the pipe”.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think it it's accepted that town names appeared in the 20's. Is that ad dated?

It doesn't look like "Temple Bar" is a town (appears to be a London historical site)

Reactions: Papamique

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
I think it it's accepted that town names appeared in the 20's. Is that ad dated?

It doesn't look like "Temple Bar" is a town (appears to be a London historical site)
According to Pipedia:

“Furthermore, by 1935 Sasieni began stamping pipes, based on the shape, with their own names, which were usually, but not always, English towns.”

so I guess that leaves room for interpretation. The ad is dated November 1923. It is clear with this ad, they had four dots with Town Names instead of numbers by at least 1923.

Note: In the catalog commonly referred to as mid-30’s the Temple Bar is also listed. The copies of that catalog that I have seen don’t have a date so I’m not sure why it is referred to as mid 30’s.

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That Pipedia info is pretty old, and not updated. I recall reading here late 20's. So that ad could really be an update.

I'd submit that ad.

I'm still curious about Temple Bar. If not a town, perhaps town names did not start till the late 20's

Reactions: Papamique

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Sasieni ads with Town Names started to appear in the fall of 1923. I have a copy of their 1924 Catalog and it uses town names.

The Pipedia article is a reprint of Steve Smith's Sasieni article, A Murder Of Ravens, which was the 'go to" Sasieni article 10 years ago. It's very out of date.

Exactly. I had this information from Tony Soderman some years ago.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
The “Temple Bar” is an old, well known Sasieni shape name along with “Viscount Lascelles” and “The Whip”. None of these were town names but they were/are very British/English. There were others too like this but the majority of the shape names are English towns so they are called Town Names collectively.

I do not know how to submit the ad but I would be happy to PM the link or if you want to PM me instructions to submit it.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
I looked on here and didn’t find t
Sasieni ads with Town Names started to appear in the fall of 1923. I have a copy of their 1924 Catalog and it uses town names.

The Pipedia article is a reprint of Steve Smith's Sasieni article, A Murder Of Ravens, which was the 'go to" Sasieni article 10 years ago. It's very out of date.

Excellent. Thank you for the confirmation. I looked on the forum and couldn’t find anything but references to Murder of Ravens and pipedia.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Temple is an Inn of Court for Barristers since in the U.K we have a split profession and 'Bar' I would suggest could be an add on like being 'Called to the Bar' in the U.S so in essence a Barrister from Middle Temple Inn of Courts would be from the 'Temple Bar' which is down the road from the bottom of Fleet Street before the Royal Courts of Justice at the top of The Strand..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There is no stealing thunder from English pipes which set standards for traditional shapes and finishes even today. Though it is good to remember that briar first gained dominance as a pipe material in France, and that many of the classic English shapes were carried across the channel from St. Claude. The English knew a good thing when they saw it.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
There is no stealing thunder from English pipes which set standards for traditional shapes and finishes even today. Though it is good to remember that briar first gained dominance as a pipe material in France, and that many of the classic English shapes were carried across the channel from St. Claude. The English knew a good thing when they saw it.

The few French pipes I have had, have all been too small for my taste and didn’t seem to have the quality I was looking for. Although, I did really like the shapes so there is that.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
Something I just noticed in this old advertisement is that in 1923 the price of a sasieni pipe was $8.50.

could the so called mid 30’s catalog that has them listed at $8.50 a piece really be from a time closer to 1923 or did their prices not change in 12+ years?

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Something I just noticed in this old advertisement is that in 1923 the price of a sasieni pipe was $8.50.

could the so called mid 30’s catalog that has them listed at $8.50 a piece really be from a time closer to 1923 or did their prices not change in 12+ years?
Well, there was this little thing called the Great Depression going on in the '30's, so it's likely that prices didn't rise. $8.50 was a lot of money back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.