PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
When I first started smoking pipes (way back amongst the Troglodites), a commonly held theory was that sugar added treatements (read: casings, flavorings, or aromatics) would cause a buildup of undesirable materials in the cake and result in pipes that tasted poorly and/or burnt irregularly. Is this myth or does it have some basis in fact, given that we now know much more about the glorious weed...or do we?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Hmm. Idk what how that tale goes, but I have many old pipes from the 80's that I smoked a lot of Aros in, and they are still up for some MM965 w/o any odd tastes. Maybe those old pipers who never reemed the cake down may have had different experiences. There are some blends that will ghost a pipe, but I havent had it happen to me yet. Before 2005, it never occurred to me to dedicate a pipe to a blend either.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
I talked to my father about this, some time ago (two generations of pipe smokers confronting tradition of pipe smoking with logic and science...).
The point of this is that decades ago, people would have one, or two at most, pipes. Racks were for 2 or 3 pipes. The rule of rotating and resting the pipes was not widely practiced, and the use was to go bowl after bowl until it would taste sour and the inside would be dirty-sweaty. That was the stop signal for the day. Then, it was a light cleaning and a night rest for the pipe. Within this practice, sweetened tobaccos would get to the sour and muddy inside faster than others.
The current pipe smoker that alternates easily among pipes, should not be much concerned about this.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Ghosting is something that is based entirely upon your opinion. If you feel the need to rotate pipes frequently and dedicate each one to a certain blend, than go ahead because many do it. You could also just smoke whatever you feel like smoking, in whatever pipe you choose just like many of us do also.
Here is a link to a thread Bob posted in regards to ghosting concerns.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
Just my 2 cents, but I have noticed that most aromatics tend to get bitter if you smoke them too hot/wet. It's happened to me on several occasions. When it did happen, I'd just give the pipe a good cleaning, and everything would be fine. I've noticed that, for me, English tobaccos can be smoked a bit hotter without them getting bitter. It may be the casings and sugars in the aros that cause the bitterness, but I am by no means an expert.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Things to remember concerning pipes and the old lady:
They always like it slow.

Its best when you don't get lip.

Once it starts to smell and tast bad (down in the hole) get it cleaned before you put your mouth to it.

:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.