PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Having read the FOH 'Plume' study thread, I'm pretty sure 'plume' is always mold or bacteria. The good news seems to be that if you brush it off, you'll probably be fine - the pipe tobacco samples seemed more prone to bacteria, which our immune system seems able to deal with.

Maybe if you can clean off one of those flakes and have a go!

Of course, I take no responsibility for what happens to you if you do!
Endotoxins might still not be killed by smoking tobacco so we can't be sure.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Endotoxins might still not be killed by smoking tobacco so we can't be sure.

True, though in the end of the day we are putting a noxious plant in a piece of wood, setting it on fire and breathing it in. Each to his own in the end of the day - I am not sure if I would chance it myself, depending how much 'plume' was on there. I'd feel pretty confident that it isn't mythical crystals though.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
The answer is "Its always mold"
That’s a case study on cigars not pipe tobacco.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I’d like to redact my statement about having no doubt about plume or mold if you look at the tobacco under a microscope.

I just looked at some tobacco that has plume AND pockets of a slightly fuzzy growth that also kind of looks like plume and or mold. The fuzzy parts blend in with the plume and I have nothing but doubt about this particular sample. I just threw it away.

Sometimes moldy tobacco is obvious under a microscope. Sometimes plume is obvious under a microscope.
Sometimes it’s not. This unscientific observation comes from only looking at about 20 cigars and about 6 different pipe tobacco. I know nothing and yet sometimes I think I do. 🤷‍♂️

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I suspect this discussion/debate is able to rage without a definitive conclusion because it's the dose that makes the poison. As noted, bacteria and mold spores are *everywhere*, so one could say that we've never smoked a bowl without some of them. ;) The human body is amazing at processing these toxins as long as you don't overwhelm the system, so there's probably a healthy (but also individual) margin for smoking cigars or pipe tobacco with more obvious amounts of the stuff. I've spent a lot of nights camping in mildewy tents; I'm sure I inhaled far more mold on those occasions than I ever would from a "plumey" cigar or pipeful of old tobacco.

Still, it's good to be cautious and I wouldn't blame anyone for throwing out anything they don't trust. I check the cigars in my humidor on occasion, and would probably just sigh and throw away any pipe tobacco that looked like the OP's.

Last edited:

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
And since were on this subject...heres the other tin that was questionable. The white-ish discoloration on the tobacco is similar to the FVF but is not exactly the same. Again I assume mold but I figured Id post the picture. Im actually pretty bummed out about both tins, because the tin note on both is outstanding.
1671635353182.png

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Heres some more pictures of the tin with a picture of a cool little card that was inside the tin under the tobacco.

View attachment 188721

View attachment 188722
View attachment 188723
View attachment 188724
The green line of text at the top suggests this tin may be from 1992—the statement sounds rather definitive and might’ve been done for the 200th Anniversary of the company? It’s not open ended like using “since 1792,” and says “for 200 years.” I’m hazarding a guess that the lack of a bar code might support this. Just a guess.

Reactions: paulfg
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
And since were on this subject...heres the other tin that was questionable. The white-ish discoloration on the tobacco is similar to the FVF but is not exactly the same. Again I assume mold but I figured Id post the picture. Im actually pretty bummed out about both tins, because the tin note on both is outstanding.
View attachment 188727

FWIW, this one looks like the stuff that a majority of folks don't worry about. The "scuff mark" patterns make me wonder if it has something to do with the flake cutter.

Another really old tin! I bought a tin of UF about 15 years ago and the label was already the newer design.

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
FWIW, this one looks like the stuff that a majority of folks don't worry about. The "scuff mark" patterns make me wonder if it has something to do with the flake cutter.

Another really old tin! I bought a tin of UF about 15 years ago and the label was already the newer design.
Well, thats some great news. You made my day. Thanks for the feedback.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
that
View attachment 188727
That appears to be a Murray,s produced tin of University flake as it says made in Ireland on the lid.Murray's closed in 2005

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
I am really no expert, just ruminating here. The UF looks like what I have seen on some flakes I've smoked, which I see as plume - streaky and sparkly, and not really raised up from the surface of the flake. I would think that if what's on the FVF is raised or mounding on the surface, or spreading through the flakes (rather than on the cut surface) in a way that doesn't coincide with leaf layers or types, it's probably mold rather than plume, especially if it's not sparkly. Is that tobacco pretty dry? I've seen the sparkly plume develop over a relatively short period of time on flakes that were kept in an unsealed tin and drying out.

Samuel Perez

Lurker
Dec 26, 2022
Is this mold or just well aged tobacco?

I was able to snag an older tin of FVF. How old the tin is Im not sure. Ive only been cellaring for a few years so Ive got nothing to compare to this older tin. The tin was not sealed, so Im not sure how long the tin was open. As usual, any insight will be appreciated.

View attachment 187583
I think its mold, not an expert by any means but aged tobacco does not look like that

Status
Not open for further replies.