PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
Is this mold or just well aged tobacco?

I was able to snag an older tin of FVF. How old the tin is Im not sure. Ive only been cellaring for a few years so Ive got nothing to compare to this older tin. The tin was not sealed, so Im not sure how long the tin was open. As usual, any insight will be appreciated.

1671192343470.png

Reactions: UncleRasta

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
To echo the others, based on photo evidence available, it appears that it could be mold. Is it hard and crystalline, or does it have a spider web type consistency? If unsure, sometimes it's better to err on the side of caution. The cost of a tin of tobacco is very small compared to respiratory issues that could result from smoking mold.

Reactions: romaso and Chalaw87

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Also, since the in had lost its seal, the flavor will have been impaired. It's a shame, but old square and rectangular tins are a bit of a craps shoot.
I’m not so sure the tin “lost” its seal. It looks like the tin had been opened and partially smoked; that doesn’t appear to be a full tin of FVF to me. But for the life of me I can’t imagine how someone could open a tin of FVF without finishing it—or at least taking enough care to keep it smokable.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Get yourself one of these cheap small microscopes. I’d get the one that starts at 60x and goes up to 120x. They are incredible for the price and you’ll have no doubt.
Get yourself one of these cheap small microscopes. I’d get the one that starts at 60x and goes up to 120x. They are incredible for the price and you’ll have no doubt. View attachment 187614
Now I have to buy one. That's too cool to not own one.

Status
Not open for further replies.