PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I agree with both points. However many people don't understand that a retort needs very high proof alcohol...90%+. If the same people try to retort with 40% vodka, the results will not be ideal. I liked it when I had the space and equipment to retort my pipes.

Also, acrylic stems don't tend to get along with the retort system.
Yes sir correct in all points. All I used to use is rubbing alcohol. Then with Covid you couldn’t find any. I started using Denatured Alcohol. I really like it. Works better in my opinion and is easily found.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Good idea! I never thought of that.

Does it leave a vinegar "ghost" for any amount of time?
No, if you thoroughly let it dry out, you shouldn’t taste any residual vinegar. I learned this trick from a pipe restorer and I tried all the other common tricks, nothing but the vinegar worked. It totally neutralizes the ghost in my experience.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Well if all the above treatments mentioned above don’t work there are 2 more options . You could build a retort. I use a retort a lot. I have really good results. The second is for only a few bucks send it off to Walker’s pipe repair. They have a Ozone machine. I personally have no experience with the ozone, but others had great results with nasty ghosts. Hope this helps.
Blue Room Briars has one as well and, I tell you, its magical!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, the ghost of rose-geranium. Before you do the coffee grounds and vodka treatments, remember that thousands of pipe smokers across the globe are spending years of their lives trying to track down tins with just that savor. Then they spend multiples of the MSRP to buy them. Here you have them trapped in pipes at no extra cost. Grandma's bathmat should not be dismissed lightly. And you can have it added to any blend of your choice. It's a life opportunity.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Ah, the ghost of rose-geranium. Before you do the coffee grounds and vodka treatments, remember that thousands of pipe smokers across the globe are spending years of their lives trying to track down tins with just that savor. Then they spend multiples of the MSRP to buy them. Here you have them trapped in pipes at no extra cost. Grandma's bathmat should not be dismissed lightly. And you can have it added to any blend of your choice. It's a life opportunity.
Amen! In fact I just placed an order for some ghosting weed. The only estate pipe I've ever purchased, my birthyear Dunhill (1966), came with a little ghost. It didn't bother me at all. In fact, it just added to the character of an old British pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.