PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
I recently went on an estate pipe splurge and ending up buying 5 pipes in two months. Two of these pipes (70's Falcon and a Comoy's apple) had a sweet old lady perfume smell that doesn't do it for me.

I first started by cleaning the entire pipe from stem to bowl with pipe cleaners soaked in first Bourbon, then Vodka. Pulled up and out alot of tar and buildup from both pipes. It seemed to help but I could still smell that grandmas smell that again...doesn't do it for me.

I then stuffed the bowl with cotton balls and added Vodka and let that sit for an hour or so. Damnit if the smell still lingers.

The smell is sweet and floral. After a little research, some may call it a "lakeland" ghost but ill be honest in saying I would not know a lakeland ghost if it sat on my lap.

Any advice?

Aug 1, 2012
I recently went on an estate pipe splurge and ending up buying 5 pipes in two months. Two of these pipes (70's Falcon and a Comoy's apple) had a sweet old lady perfume smell that doesn't do it for me.

I first started by cleaning the entire pipe from stem to bowl with pipe cleaners soaked in first Bourbon, then Vodka. Pulled up and out alot of tar and buildup from both pipes. It seemed to help but I could still smell that grandmas smell that again...doesn't do it for me.

I then stuffed the bowl with cotton balls and added Vodka and let that sit for an hour or so. Damnit if the smell still lingers.

The smell is sweet and floral. After a little research, some may call it a "lakeland" ghost but ill be honest in saying I would not know a lakeland ghost if it sat on my lap.

Any advice?
Did you focus on cleaning the mortise with a high proof alcohol? (70%/140 proof) If not, that may be where your ghost is lingering.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Maybe my sense of humor is still stuck back in "Mad Magazine" but I gotta say I'm loving this thread--I'm laughing all the way through!!! (BTW--help--anyone out there who can tell me what "TAD" and "PAD" stand for on these forums? Dumb question I'm sure, but that's me :)
Oh, Tobacco Acquisition Disorder and Pipe Acquisition Disorder, respectively. I suffer from both, unfortunately.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Well if all the above treatments mentioned above don’t work there are 2 more options . You could build a retort. I use a retort a lot. I have really good results. The second is for only a few bucks send it off to Walker’s pipe repair. They have a Ozone machine. I personally have no experience with the ozone, but others had great results with nasty ghosts. Hope this helps.

Aug 1, 2012
Well if all the above treatments mentioned above don’t work there are 2 more options . You could build a retort. I use a retort a lot. I have really good results. The second is for only a few bucks send it off to Walker’s pipe repair. They have a Ozone machine. I personally have no experience with the ozone, but others had great results with nasty ghosts. Hope this helps.
I agree with both points. However many people don't understand that a retort needs very high proof alcohol...90%+. If the same people try to retort with 40% vodka, the results will not be ideal. I liked it when I had the space and equipment to retort my pipes.

Also, acrylic stems don't tend to get along with the retort system.

Status
Not open for further replies.