PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Been putting that one back since its release in 2012. A favorite all day smoke. Being a post 2007 blend, it's in my priority pile.

Reactions: philobeddoe

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I know exactly what you mean - it's somehow always even better than I expected. Pipestud had some tins from 2012 at a very cheap price, just a bit more than current retail, so I bought some just to satisfy my curiosity. And holy cow is it ever amazing. Quite a bit sweeter, less leathery, and the vinegar hit of the fresh stuff is totally gone. So glad I put up a lot of it last year.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I know exactly what you mean - it's somehow always even better than I expected. Pipestud had some tins from 2012 at a very cheap price, just a bit more than current retail, so I bought some just to satisfy my curiosity. And holy cow is it ever amazing. Quite a bit sweeter, less leathery, and the vinegar hit of the fresh stuff is totally gone. So glad I put up a lot of it last year.

Somehow, although I've only smoked a fresh 100g tin, I suspected this would be the case, that it would age very nicely.

Reactions: trubka2

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Man, I saw those 5 packs and they were CHEAP. Like you said, basically standard retail for aged tins. I’ve kicked myself a few times for not buying those. Glad to hear it ages wonderfully, though! This thread has made me realize I need to stock up way more on all of the HH blends that I smoke.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
ODF also comes in ready rubbed form in bulk so it makes a great cellar candidate if you don't want to buy the tins. Also, if you managed to get the plug cut version from a year or so ago that will be a nice addition to the stockpile.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
ODF also comes in ready rubbed form in bulk so it makes a great cellar candidate if you don't want to buy the tins. Also, if you managed to get the plug cut version from a year or so ago that will be a nice addition to the stockpile.
The one pound box is easily jarred as well.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Having a bowl of ODF as I type this. It’s what I reach for if I want that hint of hardwood smoke but I don’t want all the nic or strength of a “regular” DFK blend. When I say “regular,” I simply mean not hot pressed. The hot pressing really mellows the Kentucky out a lot, and brings out the sweetness in it. I know people talk about ODF like it’s a nic monster, but it’s pretty tame in my opinion. A nice easygoing smoke that still has lots of flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.