PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradox

Lurker
Jan 24, 2015
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please use your Shift key in body text as well.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------
i found an old briar pipe buried in the bottom of a 60 year old coal pit in my basement (ive found a few coins to give me a rough idea of date). it looks like someone was smoking it and broke the shank off, then just threw it in with the coal to be burned.it still had something in it, it wasn't tobacco, but i don't think i have to say what it was. however for what ever reason, it never made it. so, earlier today i was gathering some coal for my forge (why let it rot in the basement?) and i just happened to find the pipe. it seems well preserved, despite showing signs of heavy use.
now for the fun part. its in no shape to really be worth anything, but it does seem like it could still be usable, after i cleaned it with alcohol and then a buffing wheel for a dremel, then scrapped (chipped) the tar out. it cleaned up nice. i even trimmed the shank down and popped a cheap plastic mouthpiece in it. does anyone here think its safe to use? im a little hesitant about trying

paradox

Lurker
Jan 24, 2015

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
OK, your photos are not showing up.
Let's see:
100_0381-600x449.jpg

100_0380-600x449.jpg

100_0379-600x449.jpg

Looks like you could have a nice little pipe there with some finish work and a stem......how does it smell?
Man #1: My dog has no nose

Man #2: How does he smell?

Man #1: Awful!

paradox

Lurker
Jan 24, 2015
it didnt really have a smell, but im a blacksmith my sense of smell has been butchered lol

paradox

Lurker
Jan 24, 2015
i wish the stem i have fits that nice, but at least it didn't light up like a sparkler when i fired it up

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looks clean. I doubt any residual street drugs would adhere, and I don't think a briar pipe like this

would be useful for much besides tobacco, although my knowledge of street drugs is marginal --

I didn't need to buy any problems. It's an interesting artifact and now a pipe with a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.