Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

larryspencer

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2009
West Texas
While meandering amongst the grouping of Vapers, I have recently delved into the Escudo clone, Viprati by H&H, nicely done with chunks, if you prefer. The taste however, couldn't convince me, this is were I versed off the the road. So back to the question, I was a former smoker of Dunhill Navy Rolls, since changed,,ie, Peterson. So what is is the difference between the two as they are both made by STG?

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I love Viprati. Currently in my first tin of Escudo, aged from 2012. The Escudo is nice but isn't wowing me at all. I found the Viprati really came alive a couple months after opening. Maybe the Escudo will too...

larryspencer

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2009
West Texas
Comparing the two, Escudo ,Viprati, the difference is smoothness versus a bit of roughness. Still curious, Dunhill, err, Peterson Navy Rolls, so a price difference, under Dunhill it used to be good?.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
NOVA
between dunhill and Peterson? Told no. Can't check myself.
Though to the o.p. Escudo is one of those ones I just love.
There is (was) as post on here saying that they are made the exact same and labeled differently. Any of your old timers in the know remember that?

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Some say that Escudo and Peterson De Luxe Navy Rolls are literally the same thing, same blender, same contents, same factory, just different tins. Personally I enjoy Petersons more. I never understood the hype of Escudo other than the heavenly smell that comes from it.

Reactions: OverMountain

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I find DLNR a lot sweeter and deeper. Escudo has more spice and bready notes to me. Both are excellent. They don't taste the same at all.
I agree with this. DNR to my taste is sweeter and has a touch less Perique than Escudo. Which is why I prefer it. But YMMV. Both are great aged.

As for the question about Dunhill vs Peterson there is no change.

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
I love Viprati. Currently in my first tin of Escudo, aged from 2012. The Escudo is nice but isn't wowing me at all. I found the Viprati really came alive a couple months after opening. Maybe the Escudo will too...
Your first tin of Escudo is 12 years old? Wow, thats a feat in and of itself haha. I would try a fresh tin and compare all 3!

Reactions: Scottmi

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
While meandering amongst the grouping of Vapers, I have recently delved into the Escudo clone, Viprati by H&H, nicely done with chunks, if you prefer. The taste however, couldn't convince me, this is were I versed off the the road. So back to the question, I was a former smoker of Dunhill Navy Rolls, since changed,,ie, Peterson. So what is is the difference between the two as they are both made by STG?
There's no difference between the two, except for the change on the label from Dunhill to Peterson. The reason for that change was that BAT, holder of the rights to use the Dunhill name for tobaccos had ended production because Dunhill no longer wanted it's brand name associated with pipe tobaccos.

STG bought the rights from BAT to continue producing the "Dunhill" blends, but not the Dunhill name.

BTW, Dunhill hasn't produced tobacco since 1980, when they licensed Murray's to continue production. Everything else, including the STG version, is a clone.

I recommend that you buy some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, jar it for a minimum of 4 years, and enjoy. It's much better than the STG version of Escudo, which doesn't resemble in the least the original Cope's or the A & C Petersen versions of Escudo.