PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I opened mine a bit early as we are traveling for Christmas eve. Many thanks to Pat (Pruss) for the wonderful gifts.
The first thing I noticed was the rather avant garde packing material. A quick smell test though confirmed that none of the packing materials had been previously used.
EmIjQf2.jpg

The next thing that caught my eye were two bags of a rather unusual tobacco that I had not previously heard of:
X1KyACs.jpg

No reviews at tobaccoreviews.com for this one, but it looks like it may be made especially for GQ Tobacco. According to the GQ site ( http://www.gqtobaccos.com/gawith-hoggarth-deluxe-twist-uncut-deluxe-roll-cake/#.VJrXBZ2uAlA ):
Just the thought of “Gawith Twists” gets people’s hearts racing, either in anticipation of the big nicotine hit or the memory of that fist smoke with them. It’s not surprising, they are some of the strongest tobaccos in production. However this Deluxe Twist is a totally different beast, at first glance it doesn’t look it. That dark air cured wrapper is used on all of the Gawith Hoggarth twist, but here it’s the filler that counts.
A blend of sweetened flue cured Virginia is mixed with a little dark fired, for light and grassy smoke. The dark air cured wrapper adds a subtle spicy, musky twang, but doesn’t allow the smoke to become to full bodied. Usually this twist is sliced up and sold as “Deluxe Roll Cake”, but we requested the uncut version.
Thanks to the lack of darker Virginias, this tobacco lacks the oily nature of the standard Brown twist and as a result smokes faster and be hotter. Treat like any gold Virginia and the flavours are beautiful with a delicate flavour.
Can't wait to try the stuff.
My eyes then drifted to this:
4IW3T67.jpg

Very cool.
And is there a more appropriate gift for one Canadian to bestow on another than this (and from Pat's parents' farm I believe):
8WH27Q1.jpg

And it gets better. I also received my first Falcon pipe, with some supplies, which I am very excited to try.
gtKtUi0.jpg

Do you think Pat was trying to tell me something with the packing materials he used?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Well now, happy Christmas everyone!
Today my family has gathered at our place for our annual Christmas meal and presents.
We started with brunch and stockings...

Then moved to the tree for presents...

Where my Secret Santa from Peck was waiting for me. In our family we open one present at a time, and selection of the next present is made by the person who just opened the last present. It took almost two hours to get to the present from Peck.
What a gift of world class tobaccos! In addition to the Strang, Director's Cut, Raven's Wing and Six Pence I also received a cool little pipe ornament for the tree.
Thank you my friend. Merry Christmas!

Thanks to Gunnar for organizing us again this year. Nice work, pal.
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Wonderful stuff. And I had completely forgotten that Pat had also included a bag of exotic coffee with my gift which I plan to use tomorrow morning when the lads go wild.

Dec 24, 2012
Pat, check the pipe ornament. It is stuffed with Semois. Thought you could leave a little out for Santa and his reindeer.
I am quite sure they will never return to your house ever again.
And by the way, a Robitussin topping could only improve the taste of that weed.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Pat, check the pipe ornament. It is stuffed with Semois. Thought you could leave a little out for Santa and his reindeer.
There's no season for caribou down here... I think I'm going to have to bin the Semois, if I off'ed Blitzen I'd be facing charges.
-- Pat

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I didn't realize you blended your own tobacco Peck until I seen your avatar on the sealed bag of tobacco (the Motzek Strang). Well done mate. Do you blend other tobacco also?

Dec 24, 2012
Nope, I didn't blend it. I bought it as discussed here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/a-picture-is-worth-1000-words
However, I have a mylar system so I bagged it for long term storage and put those labels on the stored bags.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Managed to hold out till Christmas. I love anything Tolkien, and just got some great smelling middle earth blends from brokenkrayon...Thank you so much and Merry Christmas...

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Tslex, Thanks for the tobacco. I enjoy Molto Dolce and I have never tried the Peterson Irish Oak. I look forward to smoking both. I hope you also enjoy what I sent you. Have a great Christmas with friends and family.
Winton

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
Merry Christmas everyone! I opened my secret Santa today from pipebow88 and was totally floored. I have been wanting to try elizabethean mixture and Tisbury for a while now, and JA is a favorite add all as the Dunhill Flake. I love Wessex offerings and have never tried the brown Virginia Flake. Then to top it off he sent me a Savinelli, those are my favorite pipes! Thank you Sir, Merry Christmas.

20141224_153050.jpg

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Huskysibe, glad you liked it. I'm opening mine up tonight when we get home. The Tilsbury looks to have some decent age from the looks of the paper inside of the other tin I opened purchased at the same time. The Savinelli is a very fine smoker. It has seen a lot of Virginia's. Saw on here where you were a fan of billiards and thought it a fitting choice. Hope it brings you as many fine smokes as it has me.

B

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Gang:
Opened Tompall/Jeep Newbie's gift today and was just delighted.

There's 5 oz. of Nightcap, a tin of Apertif, two new nails, a wonderful rack with tobacco storage, pipe cleaners and an amazing little apple Tompall restored with a custom built mouthpiece.
What a wonderful day.
Peace,
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.