PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dyakoff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2022
Ukraine
Oh shit, yeah. That sucks! I hope you can just return the whole pipe even though it was smoked, or at least repair it, people here often talk about fireplace mortar. But I'll let the experts talk about that.
Egg white + chalk powder could fix the dent but I’m sure as hell not repairing it. Wanted a pipe to pass on as legacy to my descendants, not something that starts falling apart after one smoke.

It is clearly defective material, a double folded pipe cleaner should not have caused such damage.

And I hope they will see logic that I didn’t need to apply any force for cleaning because there is literally no cake to clean and half of the bowl is actually white as snow.

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Egg white + chalk powder could fix the dent but I’m sure as hell not repairing it. Wanted a pipe to pass on as legacy to my descendants, not something that starts falling apart after one smoke.

It is clearly defective material, a double folded pipe cleaner should not have caused such damage.

And I hope they will see logic that I didn’t need to apply any force for cleaning because there is literally no cake to clean and half of the bowl is actually white as snow.
I absolutely understand, I hope they do as well. The thought alone, after all this process of manufacture and way of travel it starts chipping away in your hands after its first gentle use. Hopefully you'll get satisfaction in the end but I can imagine the "oy blyat" that filled your house after discovering this.

I'd like to see what smokingpipes.com has to say about it, please keep us updated.

Dyakoff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2022
Ukraine
I absolutely understand, I hope they do as well. The thought alone, after all this process of manufacture and way of travel it starts chipping away in your hands after its first gentle use. Hopefully you'll get satisfaction in the end but I can imagine the "oy blyat" that filled your house after discovering this.

I'd like to see what smokingpipes.com has to say about it, please keep us updated.
it’s just money. Not my largest loss. And given all that’s happening around probably a minor inconvenience not worth mentioning.

I’m more sorry about loosing my high hopes. I mean, I even gave this pipe a name. Was planning to smoke nothing but her for the next few years.

Well that’s a shock.
After the very first smoke I find a dent in the bowl. I didn’t use a tamper. I only used a usual twice folded pipe cleaner. Cleaned it after 5 hours of rest. Handled it like it was made of glass…
Let’s see what smokingpipes got to say about that.
My disappointment hits the roof.
View attachment 179559

It is not a big problem that could effect your smoking.There could be veins inside even with the best quality raw block meerschaum.Seems like carver saw the vein after he opened the hole and to loose it he fix it with plaster.When you cleaned it plaster removed. I add a example to attachements.

Attachments

• IMG_20221105_193205.jpg
    IMG_20221105_193205.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 20

Dyakoff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2022
Ukraine
It is not a big problem that could effect your smoking.There could be veins inside even with the best quality raw block meerschaum.Seems like carver saw the vein after he opened the hole and to loose it he fix it with plaster.When you cleaned it plaster removed. I add a example to attachements.
Thank you immensely! Your explanation makes a lot of sense. I was very puzzled about what has happened.

About the smoking effect though.

They say that there are 2 types of pipe smokers: those who smoke tobacco and those who smoke the pipe. I am clearly a smoker who values pipe more than tobacco. My pleasure from smoking is aesthetic not physical. I don’t feel major difference between good tobaccos. I would probably find it impossible to blindly destinguish between pure Burley and pure Virginia. But I love holding a pipe, polishing it. My rags, creams and oils together probably cost more than my briar pipe. When I make an accidental toothmark on the stem I won’t rest until I fix it immediately.
Having a chipped bowl is like a stake through the heart, lol.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@Chasing Embers , any advice here please? Why would something like this happen?
It's a natural material, possibly a pit. It's minor and won't negatively affect anything. Using pipe cleaners in the chamber, especially bristle ones, will score up the surface pretty badly. I'd just use damp paper towels to wipe it out when cleaning.

Reactions: Dyakoff

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
it’s just money. Not my largest loss. And given all that’s happening around probably a minor inconvenience not worth mentioning.

I’m more sorry about loosing my high hopes. I mean, I even gave this pipe a name. Was planning to smoke nothing but her for the next few years.
That's true, with the current situation that your country has to face it doesn't seem quite right to bitch about a chipped pipe. But still, there's a lot of effort behind you getting it and having your good hopes crushed is worse than having no hope at all in the first place.

I am clearly a smoker who values pipe more than tobacco. My pleasure from smoking is aesthetic not physical. When I make an accidental toothmark on the stem I won’t rest until I fix it immediately.
Having a chipped bowl is like a stake through the heart, lol.
Now I understand everything even better. 😁
Hope you find comfort in these other posts, as I did, and let that disappointment fade. After all it didn't take very long for your pipe to get more character. If you want to see it that way...

Dyakoff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2022
Ukraine
thank you @Chasing Embers
:)
This gives some solace.
Funny that just a second ago I wrote an explanation why this would affect me :)

I’m the kind of a person who stops valuing his phone if it gets a scratch, because it now has a defect and I can’t stand it and I start disrespecting it and stop taking care of it.

Yeah, I know, hard to live like this, but that’s who I am.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I’m the kind of a person who stops valuing his phone if it gets a scratch, because it now has a defect and I can’t stand it and I start disrespecting it and stop taking care of it.
Pipes are all about change. The surface of meerschaum will show even some of the mildest of handling marks and will reflect the frequency of smoking.

IMG_4802__51590.1574218451.jpeg-8.jpgRemini20220312011757783.jpg

Reactions: Dyakoff and edger

Dyakoff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2022
Ukraine
Pipes are all about change. The surface of meerschaum will show even some of the mildest of handling marks and will reflect the frequency of smoking.

View attachment 179614View attachment 179615
Well, surface changes is why i decided to try meerschaum.

But from my briar smoking years I feel kind of suspicious regarding holes inside of the bowl 🤠

Like a hole from the pipe cleaner on the opposite side of the drilling - for me it’s like the pinnacle of sin.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Well, surface changes is why i decided to try meerschaum.

But from my briar smoking years I feel kind of suspicious regarding holes inside of the bowl 🤠

Like a hole from the pipe cleaner on the opposite side of the drilling - for me it’s like the pinnacle of sin.
That's the nice thing about pipes, many things can be fixed.

20190109_172215.jpg

Reactions: Dyakoff

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Do you happen to know if he does commissions?
To my knowledge, all of the meerschaum artisans do, even IMP and Altinay. A forum member commissioned this one from Kenan Kökbudak a couple of years ago.

CB23706F-CDB1-4191-9038-14106E7E42DB.jpeg.jpg

drayve85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Well that’s a shock.
After the very first smoke I find a dent in the bowl. I didn’t use a tamper. I only used a usual twice folded pipe cleaner. Cleaned it after 5 hours of rest. Handled it like it was made of glass…
Let’s see what smokingpipes got to say about that.
My disappointment hits the roof.
View attachment 179559
Personally, I wouldn’t worry about that, as long as it doesn’t keep opening up more to cause a sizeable cavity. I agree with @chasingembers, it’s not going to affect smokeability at all. I can understand your OCD about tho, but if Spc does take it back, is it a pipe that you’ll miss if you can’t get one that’s a lot like it? It’s like guitars. There are guys that cannot stand a little factory blemish here or there at all, then return the guitar, and the replacement guitar isn’t half as good as the “blemished” one, and they wish they would’ve just lived with the blemish and kept the first guitar.lol