PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
When finally ready for storage, what do you do for mould/fungal deterrence? Just low case?

I have some virginia starting to be done with different curing attempts, and I'm curious as to the best way to store them and rest now.
Awesome. I’m curious to hear how your Virginias age differently due to the enzymes which may or may not have been destroyed in the different curing processes. Next year I want to only grow Virginia and sun cure them.

i vacuum seal all of my stuff, but that’s more to do with storage space, and having made plugs out of them. I’ve had whole leaf sitting in jars for 3 years now and only one went mouldy. Low case and a stable environment is enough.

my mate has even experimented with wiping mould of leaf with vinegar and jarring. None has grown back.

best advice I got from a seasoned grower was to weigh your leaf in low case before processing, and then dry down until it reaches that weight again. I’ve heard of plugs/twists moulding from the inside out

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Beautiful work! I hope the end product smokes like a dream.

What was your overall yield from the crop this year? And/or how much smoking tobacco will you get from the yield?
I ended up with about 700-800g of tobacco for smoking. Most has gone into the cellar, but I left a couple of Oz out of each variety and have been smoking and blending it already.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Ah yes I remember reading this a couple of years ago when I started growing. I clearly have the tastes buds of a dumpster rat then. 😂

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Awesome. I’m curious to hear how your Virginias age differently due to the enzymes which may or may not have been destroyed in the different curing processes. Next year I want to only grow Virginia and sun cure them.

i vacuum seal all of my stuff, but that’s more to do with storage space, and having made plugs out of them. I’ve had whole leaf sitting in jars for 3 years now and only one went mouldy. Low case and a stable environment is enough.

my mate has even experimented with wiping mould of leaf with vinegar and jarring. None has grown back.

best advice I got from a seasoned grower was to weigh your leaf in low case before processing, and then dry down until it reaches that weight again. I’ve heard of plugs/twists moulding from the inside out
So far...I think so good? I tried a few things, but have landed on pulling the leaves as they yellow and hanging them in my shed for 3-7 days. Once they've lost most of their green except for the stems, I put them in a reclaimed beverage fridge to sweat them for 4-8 weeks. The fridge has a crock pot that I fill twice per day and keeps the box between 75%-80% humidity at 121-124 degrees F on low. The leaves get wilted and very sticky after hanging for the first 3-7 days, then they go into the box. The aroma after a month in the box has been very pleasant.

Once the leaves are well browned and stems dry, I've started to de-stem and let them dry out a little more in the air before putting in a jar. They look, feel and smell good but giving it some more rest time before trying. I'm wondering if vacuum sealing might be better than just loose in a jar as raw.

That's a good suggestion about weighing! It makes sense and I will keep that in mind when I look at doing a little processing.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Low case and a stable environment is enough...

What do you mean by: 'Low case'?

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
So far...I think so good? I tried a few things, but have landed on pulling the leaves as they yellow and hanging them in my shed for 3-7 days. Once they've lost most of their green except for the stems, I put them in a reclaimed beverage fridge to sweat them for 4-8 weeks. The fridge has a crock pot that I fill twice per day and keeps the box between 75%-80% humidity at 121-124 degrees F on low. The leaves get wilted and very sticky after hanging for the first 3-7 days, then they go into the box. The aroma after a month in the box has been very pleasant.

Once the leaves are well browned and stems dry, I've started to de-stem and let them dry out a little more in the air before putting in a jar. They look, feel and smell good but giving it some more rest time before trying. I'm wondering if vacuum sealing might be better than just loose in a jar as raw.

That's a good suggestion about weighing! It makes sense and I will keep that in mind when I look at doing a little processing.
This year I experimented with the leaves which weren’t ready to be picked when I did my main harvest. I piled them in a cardboard box, checked and rotated them every few days and as individual leaves yellowed I then hung them inside a shed window which got full sun. Sort of a semi-sun cure to try and lock a few of the sugars into the leaf while curing. I then put them in my converted fridge for kilning/sweating for a few weeks too

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Also I’m the first to admit that vacuum sealing my be unnecessary. One reason I do it is to maintain the pressure of the plugs. I also am starting to grow leaf which I don’t intend on smoking for a decade or two. I’ve found a system which works for me currently. I’ll adapt as needed. A lot of people have no issues with jars, some even put their jars of leaf in the slow cooker on high for the night as a heat treatment for mould

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.

Interesting method of weighing it multiple times to dry down properly. I'm nervous about some of my bricks. Some are very lightly topped, all are low case and pressed tightly then vacuum sealed. I'm nervous cause I don't plan on pulling them out to try for years. Molding from the inside is pretty intimidating.
I'll be using this method of weighing it twice in the future.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Interesting method of weighing it multiple times to dry down properly. I'm nervous about some of my bricks. Some are very lightly topped, all are low case and pressed tightly then vacuum sealed. I'm nervous cause I don't plan on pulling them out to try for years. Molding from the inside is pretty intimidating.
I'll be using this method of weighing it twice in the future.
If they are vacuum sealed, in theory they should be ok 👍🏼

in regards to the heat treatment and the ageing enzymes, it would definitely kill the one with the lower temperature point (as does flue curing), but it would depend on how hot you slow cooker goes I guess as to whether the second one is killed.

@cosmicfolklore you heat treat your ropes in jars don’t you?

Reactions: fireground_piper