PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Only one (huge) bowl of this blend smoked so far, but... wow! really impressed. Incredible flavor, a definite sweet note and great burning characteristics. I received a nice size sample of this from Bobby G. at Pipes & Cigars while at the Chicago show. Sometimes dark fired Kentucky brings an extra dose of Vitamin N, however, I didn't even notice this was a component until after I finished the bowl and was looking it up to add to a P&C order. All of the flavor, none of the niccups! Anyone else burn this yet?

Jul 15, 2011
When I read the article about these new blends, the only two that interested me were Hells Kitchen and Jacks Shanty. Thinking about ordering one of each of those with my next TAD order because I have been a really hardcore English kick lately. Thanks for the review! Sounds yummy.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I was one of the lucky bastages that got to try this one out of the gate. It was the favorite of the two I tried. It was cool because I just had a plain bag with the word "Balkan" on it. HERE is the thread with my review.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I was interested in that, sounded good to me. I may add some to my next TAD orderm which will not be for a while...

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I was one of the lucky bastages that got to try this one out of the gate...
Baron,
I read your tasting notes on this after I smoked the bowl referenced above. Ha! Very similar experience, and then curiosity as to exactly what the components were! I feel like I picked up a more pronounced sweetness than any of the reviewers noted? May be a difference in samples or just in how we taste things. Either way, really impressed with this blend - wish it was available in something larger than 2oz. tins!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Yeah that Dark Fired sure adds some intrigue to it! This was perhaps the most labored over of the blends during the prototype phase--after all, it's a pretty broad genre, and difficult to keep from throwing in everything but the kitchen sink while constructing a distinct flavor. The blend immediately preceding this was very VA-forward, and very good--it was a close vote that favored this one. To me it was just the right addition to tone the VA and harmonize everything together. Russ really shows off his skill as a blender here, to have created so many brilliant Lat blends of late and make this one yet another stand-out mixture.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'd like to see a "Battle of the Blends" between this and Sextant. Nothing like watching two of the giants of the blending world square off! I'm a fairly recent fan of Mr. Pease and a fan of Mr. Ouelette since I started.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I have yet to try the Sextant, it's at the top of my TAD list. I hate to admit it, but that Pease character hasn't made a blend yet that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed (and cellared). That being said, the NYPC is undoubtedly better :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.