NEW - New York Pipe Club Tobacco Blends - Exclusive!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
May have to try one of those if they become an orderable tobacco. I cant make it to Chicago

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Kudos to the New York Pipe Club and Russ for creating four excellent blends - your hard work was well worth it gentlemen! I suspect there will be something of an ordering frenzy when these are available to the general public, and deservedly so.
Also, kudos and thanks to Romeowood for an exceptional article, and for giving me the chance to participate in the blind panel reviews. It is always interesting to see how ones notes compare, and refreshing to see that we are all on the same track!

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
What a great article and presented very well!. I"m still a newb when it comes to a lot of flavor nuances but all 4 blends sound like a must at least try and like Dave, the Hells Kitchen and Bedloes Island seem to be Very Interesting! Will definitely be trying all 4 to begin with when they're avail! G1

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
YOU MUST ALL ORDER SEVERAL TINS NOW!! :nana:

Seriously though, if you can't make it to the Chicago show, you can call Pipes & Cigars (or email) and get yourself on the pre-order waitlist now. Due to the guv'mint man, P&C doesn't sell at the show but I believe they can take orders.

And thanks again to the reviewers--Adam, Kevin, Cortez'Attic (I'm sorry, the grammarian in me won't let that apostrophe abide), and BaronSamedi. Although I don't think Baron knows yet what he reviewed. The important thing to note is that, with blends they liked and didn't like so much, they were all pegging the same flavor profiles.

Jul 15, 2011
Hells Kitchen and Jacks Shanty are really calling my name. I am really excited about this and really looking forward to trying these blends. Great work as always to Russ, Pipesandcigars.com, and of course Kevin as well!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Great reviews. It'll be a while before I can get my hands on them, though. I just don't have room in my TAD budget for 75% taxes.
-Jason

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
After BaronSamedi's flu cleared up, he was able to taste-test the tobaccos and quite liked them; Murphy's Law, of course, meant that it was past deadline. To complete the panel, I'll include his reviews here.

First, his take on Jack's Shanty:

Romeo Wood’s mystery blends
English
Pouch note: The leather smell of Latakia dominates with a subtle sweetness that I might guess is Virginia. All of the aroma is very mild. I would almost think there is some Burley involved here. Not spicy, not too sweet. It actually seemed kind of plain in the pouch.
Appearance: A mixture of ribbon and coarse cuts, ranging in dark chocolate brown to a bright gold. It is dry, but not crunchy. It Just feels “ready to smoke” to me.
I smoked this blend in the late morning in my meerschaum, with a side of mild coffee.
Charring Light: A noticeable woody character comes through. I thought of it as “Oaky”
True Light: The Oak is backed up strongly by the leathery Latakia and not much else
This tobacco would best be described as a light English. I compared it mentally to Dunhill’s Early Morning Pipe as I smoked it. I would have considered it a one-note blend, at first. The campfire aroma and extremely mild taste were its most noticeable factors during the beginning of the bowl. I was reminded of English blends that contain Burley, but the smoothness made me think Turkish once I really started to smoke it. Towards the middle, the sweet/tangy taste came through and I got more botanicals from what I suspect to be the Virginias. Still very mild and smooth, it was now also floral and sweet, which was a nice affirmation. Those that expect complexity will simply have to wait until the body of the bowl to hit their stride, but those who want a smooth, simple, affirming English with their coffee will be satisfied. As I mentioned before, I was reminded of Early Morning Pipe and fans of that blend, along with folks who want to try and English without being bombed mercilessly with Latakia will find a familiar, satisfying smoke. It pairs better with my morning coffee that EMP, I believe, due to the same mildness that those looking for a stronger blend, flavor-wise may complain about. I got a healthy nicotine bump, but that could be due to the fact that it is my first smoke in over a week. Flavor-wise, it got more spicy toward the bottom of the bowl, but not overly so. It is probably one of the more consistent English blends that I’ve tasted in that it remains mellow and smooth all the way through. It is a pleasurable smoke and I might indeed try it over EMP when I’m looking for light English with a bit of vitamin N to start my day.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
And here, his take on Hell's Kitchen Balkan Deluxe:
Romeo Wood’s Mystery Blends
Balkan
Pouch Note: Rich and leathery with the distinct aroma of standing near a barbecue pit that’s warming up. It’s not a meaty smell, per se, but like the barbecue pit, you can get a hint of the meat and spice that once was. There is an herbal character, but it does not dominate.
Appearance: A myriad of dark brown, milk chocolate and gold ribbon-cut leaf that is slightly moist to the touch, but just barely so. It’s exactly the way I like a tobacco blend to feel when I want to smoke it straight from the tin.
I smoked this tobacco in my meerschaum in the early afternoon. My favorite tobacco of all time is Black House, also a Balkan, so I there was much trepidation. Would this be a treat or a letdown?
Charring light: The leather and barbecue pit aroma gave way to a slight hint of toasted bread.
True Light: Very Nice! I was immediately greeted by a wonderful complexity of character! The toasted bread came out strong and the very slight herbal character became much more noticeable. It all worked together to produce a toasted rye kind of effect, as if I was at an outdoor barbecue, enjoying a glass of Kvass.
This yeasty barbecue note is really what translated to the room note throughout the smoke and made for a very pleasant atmosphere. This Balkan is absolutely not like Black House, but it manages to distinguish itself powerfully and in a way I never expected! The taste was consistently spicy, so I am thinking there may be a Perique hiding in here. I a way, it reminds me of a warm Serrano pepper, just mild enough to pluck from the branch and take a big bite. Its mild pouch note concealed a taste that is surprisingly complex, a similar experience to that I got with Frog Morton on the Bayou, though even more so. It’s rich, loamy, kind of grassy and spicy, a complete 180 from the mild-mannered ribbon-cut appearance and pouch note. Smokers of full-body Latakia blends will be pleased and other than those with a serious aversion to Latakia, non-English smokers will still find the room note pleasing. It’s sort of like an ordinary looking kid in the back of the room who walks to the front of the class and makes a speech that brings the house down. This blend stays rich with character all the way to the bottom of the bowl and doesn’t taste ashy at the end like some do. I’d seriously recommend seeing what this blend could do after cellaring for awhile.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Yeah, I was bummed about Baron's flu missing the deadline, but very pleased that he liked the blends. I shamelessly stacked the deck, knowing that he was a fan of Russ' Black House, of course--so sue me! :nana: Seriously though, I knew that he had a really good palate for parsing out Latakia blends, and would be merciless if he didn't like them; fortunately, they passed muster. Can't wait to hear / read feedback from folks who get to sample them at the Chicago show.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yes. Also note that I had nothing to go on but one bag that said "English" (Which was Jack's Shanty)and one that said "Balkan" (Which was Hell's Kitchen). It was kind of cool to see where I had trouble placing a taste in Jack's Shanty and then finding out later it was a cigar leaf blend. It kind of made me go oooooooh! Probably also why I liked it so much with coffee. I like cigars and coffee.
Hell's Kitchen is a great name for the Balkan, and playing right into romeowood's hand, I was totally in my element smoking this one. I smelled spice and thought Perique, but the barbecue smell I found should have immediately triggered me to think of G.L. Pease's new Sextant and its Dark Fired Kentucky.
Romeowood told me not to pull punches, so I was ready to brutalize if need be, but twas not necessary. These blends will find the guys they were made for and I truly was a fan of the Balkan. I may take my own advice and see what a little aging can do!

Jul 12, 2011
Happy to say that I have had two of the four blends so far; Bedloe's Island

and Jack's Shanty...both outstanding blends. I look forward to the remaining

two blends but I would go get a few tins of each to try one/cellar one.

Status
Not open for further replies.