PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Navy Chief

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2022
Because prohibiting pot was SUCH a success? And how many billions of tax dollars were wasted in that effort? So let's piss away even more because THAT'S the logical solution?

Prohibitions don't work, even where the penalty is immediate execution, though that does have some small salubrious effect.

HEY HOCHUL! CRIMINALIZE SMOKING POT AND TOBACCO WITH IMMEDIATE EXECUTION AS THE ONLY PENALTY!

Trust me, a LOT of people will be happy with that.
It is well beyond billions that were wasted combating marijuana, it is in the trillions...

Reactions: Reggie and Zamora

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I seriously doubt an outright ban would ever pass through the houses. Higher restrictions, higher taxes, etc will though. No politician will EVER answer “yes” to a question that makes them appear, in any way, pro smoking. At least those in states where tobacco isn’t a major cash crop. It was a no brainer question to give the opposing side something to bitch about. Classic misdirection. “Here you go people, look what they’re trying to do to you. Pay no attention to what we’re trying to do.” Both sides do it & when you see soft stories like this popping up, you gotta wonder what the news organizations aren’t reporting on.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
From today’s New York Post:

“What is your opinion about a policy that would end the sale of all tobacco products in New York within 10 years?”

Click here.
I don't answer questions posited by the New York Post!

It won't affect me at all, but whenever there are inequities in commerce across state lines, people find a way . .

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
Because prohibiting pot was SUCH a success? And how many billions of tax dollars were wasted in that effort? So let's piss away even more because THAT'S the logical solution?

Prohibitions don't work, even where the penalty is immediate execution, though that does have some small salubrious effect.

HEY HOCHUL! CRIMINALIZE SMOKING POT AND TOBACCO WITH IMMEDIATE EXECUTION AS THE ONLY PENALTY!

Trust me, a LOT of people will be happy with that.
"Just say No" lol

Reactions: sablebrush52

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Organized crime organizations would love a total ban on tobacco just like they did when alcohol was banned.
The ban on drugs doesn't work because the focus is always on the supplier and not on the end users. As long as there is a demand for something, there will be ways to procure it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Well, if New Yorkers are feeling so magnanimous, perhaps they would like to suspend sales tax, tax on gasoline, property taxes, and state income tax. Maybe citizens would volunteer to station themselves on the street with tin cups to support the state budget. Who needs a revenue stream? Life can be beautiful.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
These bloodsuckers are just ever so demanding war against us. They constantly chirp "We are doing it for the good of the children" or the equally pathetic "We are doing it for your own good". Any time a politician says they are doing anything for anyone other than themselves they are lying through their teeth.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Spreading myths is a lot easier than spreading facts. Here are the 10 highest taxing states. Some of this will surprise people. See, all states tax for revenue. It's just that they do it in different ways, some less obvious. This list takes into account property tax, income tax and sales tax.

1. New York - 12.47%
2. Hawaii - 12.31%
3. Maine - 11.14%
4. Vermont - 10.28%
5. Connecticut - 9.83%
6. New Jersey - 9.76%
7. Maryland - 9.44%
8. Minnesota - 9.41%
9. Illinois - 9.38%
10. Iowa - 9.15%

California isn't even in the top 10. Iowa has a higher tax burden.
I don’t understand your numbers. The income tax rate alone in New York State exceeds what you show here.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don’t understand your numbers. The income tax rate alone in New York State exceeds what you show here.
Well, they're NOT my numbers.

Of course, percentages and ranking change depend on what's included, since municipalities often add to the state burden, sometimes significantly. Also, many localities charge "fees", which are essentially taxes, which you can avoid if you don't need electricity, gas, garbage pick up, hospitals, fire departments, schools and other trivia.

Reactions: Carol and jpmcwjr

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Spreading myths is a lot easier than spreading facts. Here are the 10 highest taxing states. Some of this will surprise people. See, all states tax for revenue. It's just that they do it in different ways, some less obvious. This list takes into account property tax, income tax and sales tax.

1. New York - 12.47%
2. Hawaii - 12.31%
3. Maine - 11.14%
4. Vermont - 10.28%
5. Connecticut - 9.83%
6. New Jersey - 9.76%
7. Maryland - 9.44%
8. Minnesota - 9.41%
9. Illinois - 9.38%
10. Iowa - 9.15%

California isn't even in the top 10. Iowa has a higher tax burden.
That’s one of the reasons I left Maine.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Such a ban would certainly improve the cash flow into those independent enclaves, reservations, located throughout NY. I suspect the tribes will happily support such a move. Also, illegal importation of cigarettes, private citizens and organized crime, will benefit from it. Lots of people will greatly enhance their economic situations.

So, a tax loss for the state and an economic advance for many. The State will take a revenue shot from the tax loss and perhaps, incur further costs from necessary increases in enforcement efforts and the impact on the corrections system and et cetera.

0955f80051139f13acc436122fab4c0d193cbbf240fdfdc297f7c4115e5fd0df._UY500_UX667_RI_V_TTW_.jpg

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
You may find it interesting that Nancy recently had the State Troopers set up road blocks to detect impaired drivers, the focus was pot heads not drunks. NY does not have a breath tester for this product and requires a blood reading. Very few cases will withstand observation alone.

Reactions: Reggie and Carol