Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I have P.A.D. so when a pipe collects a fine layer of dust on it, I know it's been properly rested and ready to smoke again.
As long as the bowl is dry, I don't see any reason to wait a certain amount of days to use it again.
@ Ed. Didn't you mean to say you have 200-250 pipes in rotation. I've seen you're collection... :worship:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
@ Ed. Didn't you mean to say you have 200-250 pipes in rotation. I've seen you're collection..
Nope, although I could have that many in rotation I've always kept it around 20-25. I not only prefer filtered pipes I also prefer Ajustomatics since they are easy to take apart and clean so my Viscounts,Starfires,Regals,Linkmans etc,etc mostly collect dust. There was only three lines that were filtered Ajustomatics--Golden Duke,Silver Duke and Berwyck. I also prefer the larger( for a Grabow) straight pipes-- 36-69-70-84 etc. I do have some push stem pipes and even a few non-Grabows that I smoke regularly including a couple that I made.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
mostly collect dust
time for sale?))
Yes and no. :lol: I decided a while back,after doing a bit of inventory that I had entirely to many pipes! Now,a large percentage of those are pipes I've bought over the last 3-5 years and never got around to restoring--somewhere around 200. So I went through those and sorted out a bunch and sold them along with a lot of stems,bowls,parts and pieces. The rest are still down in the shop-waiting,although I may thin them out further.
But those that are hanging on the wall in my basement and those I have in racks in my computer room,even though I will most likely never smoke them,will probably be with me for a long time to come--I hope--collecting dust. 8O

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I understand it is to allow your pipe to dry. There have been times where personally (and my 84 year old neighbor) had smoked out of our pipes daily with Admiral's Choice Vanilla Cavendish (cheap, wet, and generally frowned on) without a break with no issues. Actually I found this last round that a week in, the vanilla flavor was more noticeable and pleasant.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Also, find myself wondering with a limited amount of pipes; how can I still get away with smoking 4-5 bowls a day?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
a naked person to buff the pipe
Tripoli and White Diamond seem to break me out pretty bad so I button up my collar and roll down the sleeves when buffing at work. Would hate to see what happens to other body parts. Rest assured, none of the SPC estates have been buffed in the nude.
Now, back to the OP
A decent briar with non-aromatic non-Latakia blends ( basically just VA and VA/Per ) can handle 2-3 bowls per day with 24 hour rest and a proper swipe with no ill effects, as long as you don't relight the dottle, or reload a bowl on warm.

Sep 23, 2015
Georgia
I smoke Missouri Meerschaum cobs most of the time, so it's not an issue. They are made to be smoked hard. I will often dump a bowl, and immediately re-load, and re-light it.
On my wood pipes, I will usually (but not always)let them cool down, then clean them good before I re-load and re-light them. I've never had a problem with resting' my pipes. I just smoke them when I want, and how I want. I haven't lost one, yet. The only concession I make is that all of my wood pips are dedicated to a certain blend for each pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.