PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
How many bowls would you smoke in the same pipe and how long would you rest it after?. Is it OK to smoke 3-4 during the day and rest it for a week, or it will need more rest time?

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I don't know the answer either but I do what you do. 3-4 bowls and then rest it for at least 5 days. I have a lot of cobs that I mix in to give my briars more rest.

Jan 8, 2013
In a cob, that will be fine. Hell, you can smoke 3 or 4 bowls everyday in a cob. Typically I try not to smoke more than 2 bowls a day out of any of my briars, but usually only rest them for 2 days. As long as your letting them cool between bowls, I think you will be alright though.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I think it was G.L. Pease who said that the rest period is 1 day's rest for each bowl smoked. Example: 1 bowl= 1 day's rest, 2 bowls= 2 day's rest and so on. Of course it all depends on the type of pipe your smoking. Cobs don't need that long a rest period. Falcons and meerschaums need little rest also. Also the type of tobacco you smoke in the pipe can determine the rest period. Aromatics, at least most of the OTC blends, will smoke wet so the pipe will need a longer rest. Maybe someone can post Mr. Pease's write up on this subject.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I smoke only one bowl then rest for at least 24 hours. But I have friends who smoke multiple bowls in the same pipe, and rest 24 hours with fine results. As long as the bowl is dry after resting you should be good to go for briar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For victims of pipe acquisition disorder (PAD) it hardly matters. As a point of honor, I try to use a different pipe for every bowl just to be sure these trusty briars get smoked. Only rational people who own just six or eight pipes have to worry about such things. You have my admiration.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I find that the pipe will tell you when it needs a rest. If the pipe is gurgling and smoking wet, it probably needs more rest time.
For example, I have a Chacom Royale that can only handle one bowl at a time, and requires a minimum of 3 days rest. One the other hand, I have a Castello Collection where I can put multiple bowls a day through her, and never so much as a hiss from excess moisture.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I have pipes that I can chain smoke out of and others that would just be too wet to smoke more than once in. Mind you I don't smoke aros which tend to be usually wet smokes. The other day I smoked 4 bowls in about 5 hours of JKP in one pipe and they all tasted great.
I think we sometimes overthink things. Our senses should be the guides regarding taste. No rule can ever substitute for developing a keen taste and an understanding of how a good bowl of tobacco aught to behave. That can only be gained by experience; which I don't have a lot of but everyday I learn more :).

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I usually only smoke one bowl out of a given pipe per day; i.e., 5 bowls per day = 5 different pipes smoked that day. As a pipe smoker, I'm a bit spoiled in that I live in the desert. Pipes dry quickly, mold on tobacco is not an issue, gurgling does not come from ambient humidity, etc. If I'm stuck at work for a longer time than I plan on, I will smoke multiple bowls out of the same pipe, usually without issue. As soon as I get home, though, she goes into the rack for a rest and I smoke a different one.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I try to rest a pipe a day between smokes, but not always possible when I am traveling or out for a day with only one or two pipes. Yesterday I smoked three bowls inside of six hours and no ill effects. But I do smoke dry, and clean the chamber with paper towels if there's any sign of a wet spot.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Maybe I really don't know what I'm doing, yet, or my tastes aren't as refined as some of you guys, but my experience seems different from the norm.
When I started out with only one briar pipe, I only rested it over night. I generally smoke 3-4 bowls a day, and my (one) pipe was perfectly fine in the morning.
when I got a second pipe, I dedicated one to work (two bowls) and one to home (one or two bowls) and rested them both over night. They were both dry by morning.
Now I have a bunch of briar pipes, but only 4 that I really like (so far). I smoke the Rossi at work, and it's ready to go the next morning. At home, I rotate the Stanwell and the two Ropps, occasionally throwing in the IMP meerschaum and/or one of the many cobs. My "home pipes" therefore rest for at least three days and sometimes more, but I really don't see, feel or taste any difference.
As long as I clean a pipe, and give it at least several hours to air dry, it's all good!
As northernneil said - The pipe tells me when it needs a rest.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Pick a pipe... smoke it until I am tired of it, switch it up. Might be a day, might be 3. Too much obsession put into something that is supposed to be enjoyable.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Skrapsoftobacco,
I agree, but I also think that the "obsession" is part of the fun, for at least some of us. It seems that we are always trying to squeeze that last, tiny little bit of perfection out of every smoke. No matter how good it is, maybe a $500 dollar pipe, or a 17 day rest, or 36 year old tobacco, or a gold-plated bit, or a naked person to buff the pipe, or being naked when I smoke it or, or, or... Always trying for that PERFECT smoke.
Well, that or somebody made it up as an excuse to buy "just one more..."

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I use one pipe per day and smoke 12-15 bowls-the pipe never really gets a chance to cool off. If it gurgles,I swab it out and change the filter-- I smoke mostly filtered pipes-- and fire it up again. I keep 20-25 pipes in rotation so they get plenty of time to dry out.

Status
Not open for further replies.